318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 105,349 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 68,388 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 65,626 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
bimmerfun

Default I thought it was "loaded", but...

I have a 1998 318ti Sport with a manual transmission. It's in awesome shape, and I love the sport seats, suspension, wheels, front, rear and side air dams, and trim...BUT...It DOESN'T have...
The computer OR cruise control!
I can deal with it not having cruise control...I rarely used it on my 530i, or any of the other cars I've had over the years with cruise control...BUT, I do miss the COMPUTER...In fact, that really bugs me!
I know none of the 318ti's had tilt wheels, but, since the wheel is in the perfect position for ME, I don't miss that, either.
I can't believe BMW made a car in 1998 WITHOUT the computer or cruise control. Again, crusise control I can live without...but I miss the computer!
I guess it would cost an arm and a leg to retrofit the car with the computer, but I'd consider it! ALSO...Although it was advertised as having keyless entry...It doesn't! That's another thing I miss. I went to the dealer to see if the keyless entry system could be installed...It CAN, but WOW...It's expensive!

Last edited by bimmerfun; 10-18-2010 at 09:53 PM.
bimmerfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
bimmerfun

I should mention that I just spent my limit on this paycheck on a K&N air filter, Bosch cabin air filter, front rondel, ///M shift knob, 2 new Continental tires, a whelskin steering wheel cover, and a new front windshield...The original windshild wasn't cracked, but it wasn't clear! Next week, I'm having it inspected...I hope it doesn't need anything else! If it doesn't need anything else, I'll consider keyless entry next...
Old 10-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfun View Post
I can't believe BMW made a car in 1998 WITHOUT the computer or cruise control.
BMW didn't. BMWNA, however, ordered lots of cars without OBCs, in fact all of their four cylinder cars, with the exception of some of their 318ti's.

Quote:
I guess it would cost an arm and a leg to retrofit the car with the computer, but I'd consider it!
Well, if it is important enough to you, I am confident that you'll save up the money and retrofit an OBC.

Quote:
ALSO...Although it was advertised as having keyless entry...It doesn't! That's another thing I miss. I went to the dealer to see if the keyless entry system could be installed...It CAN, but WOW...It's expensive!
The dealer-fitted alarm is just an Alpine unit with an adapter harness. You can probably still buy the 12 pin alarm connector plug and pins, and hook up another aftermarket unit that's more to your liking. Please take this as a piece of encouragement rather than criticism, but I'd say it's time to stop writing and start doing.

Last edited by John Firestone; 10-18-2010 at 10:53 PM.
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
bimmerfun

Thanks John. Actually, I've done a lot to the car in the week or so I've had it. For one thing, I'm having a new windshield and cowl installed on Thursday....plus ///M shift knob, new rondel, K&N air filter, Bosch cabin air filter, 2 Continental tires, Wheelskin wheel cover... I think that's pretty good for a week or so, considering I'm having it inspected next week and it may need other stuff, don't you?
Old 10-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
bimmerfun

John...I forgot to say...Bitte for the Alpine tip!
Old 10-19-2010, 12:02 AM   #6
bullmand

You can get the factory keyless entry system from Bavarian Autosport for around $371. It's not free, but mine's worked great for 13 years and the install is exceedingly easy. There used to be a retrofit kit for the OBC but I don't think it's available anymore. I'm not sure what use the OBC for but you might consider a ScanGauge. It's much cheaper and actually gives you a lot more information out of the ECU. Best part is that you can change the screen color to match the stock lighting and it fits nicely in the tray in front of the ashtray. www.scangauge.com
Old 10-19-2010, 12:21 AM   #7
bimmerfun

Wow Bullmand! That's cool!!! Thanks! I might have to wait a month or two, but I definitely want to do it! Might I ask...How long did it take ou to install?
Hey...are you inthe Army Field Band? I'm a trumpet player / band director. I have two old buddies in the Army Blues! ScanGuage...COOLLL!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 02:12 AM   #8
ofset

wait a sec, they really made some 318ti's with out a computer? and by computer, you mean the little digital read out that tells you the MPG, MPH, outside air temp, and miles left on the gas tank?

how many did they produce with out computers. I would think this is a standard feature... hmm.
ofset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:15 AM   #9
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofset View Post
wait a sec, they really made some 318ti's with out a computer? and by computer, you mean the little digital read out that tells you the MPG, MPH, outside air temp, and miles left on the gas tank?

how many did they produce with out computers. I would think this is a standard feature... hmm.
In the US it was standard on the active models.
Optional on the Base, Sport and Club Sport.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:22 AM   #10
Bluebimma

Honestly, the OBC is useless in the ti. Its not realtime/constantly updating. Its fairly slow at mpg, and VERY slow at accurately calculating the speed. The only feature thats nice is the ambient temp sensor, but even then, you should know how hot/cold it is outside.

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:22 AM   #11
ofset

Nice to know. I guess i got lucky with my 1997 Active model. (I didn't even know about the base, active, sport options until if found this forum) thanks! I do enjoy the mpg readout, but i do find my self hitting the reset button a lot.
ofset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:57 AM   #12
vsonix

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullmand View Post
you might consider a ScanGauge. It's much cheaper and actually gives you a lot more information out of the ECU. Best part is that you can change the screen color to match the stock lighting and it fits nicely in the tray in front of the ashtray. www.scangauge.com
wow, I think I need me one of them, check out the "TURBOGAUGE III"
I can live without the OBC but this one basically tells you everything a normal OBC wouldnt! Now I know that it is possible to know this info anyway, I want it!
vsonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfun View Post
Thanks John. Actually, I've done a lot to the car in the week or so I've had it... considering I'm having it inspected next week and it may need other stuff....
Oh, yes, you can sense that. As what used to be called a man of positive action, I was just trying to constructively give you a hard time.

Just for fun, I surveyed my car and counted up the various refinements I have made to its electrics and electronics. If I were to start a thread with one post for every two things about the car I questioned and refined, I'd ramble on for three pages. I haven't as there are more enjoyable things to do -- such as modding the car to how I like it and getting people's reactions.

Off and on, someone muses about adding an 18-button OBC from a non-compact E36. It offers a longer list of diversions:
  • an outside temperature / freeze warning
  • the average speed
  • two average consumption values
  • the range remaining for the fuel on board
  • a speed limit warning
  • the time and distance to a destination
  • a stopwatch or park ventilation clock/timer
  • and a drive-away protection code (pretty much eclipsed by the EWS-II in later cars)
The biggest challenges could be finding a place to mount it, and the wiring. The range remaining might also be off because of the ti's different gas tank. Or it might not work at all, but that's just part of the adventure of trying something different. I'd be happy to give you the EINHEIT values from my 18-button OBC to match your M44 engine. You can use them to reconfigure a used OBC without trying to find someone to recode it.

That ScanGauge sure looks cool. It does, however, require OBD-II which didn't make it to Europe until the E46.

Last edited by John Firestone; 10-19-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
John Firestone

This page gives the details with part numbers of installing an aftermarket alarm in a Z3. A U.S. Z3 has the same or very similar alarm connections as a U.S. 318ti.

Last edited by John Firestone; 10-19-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #15
hotmilk400

if you do not care about the alarm, only keyless entry, you can get an aftermarket kit that will install pretty easy (about 1 hour or less) for like $60. or even a remote start for like $80 (+ about $50 for extra parts) (takes about 2 hours - 4 hours on an auto, and 3 - 5 hours on a 5spd) atleast with a remote start, you get door locks, and you can start your car from pretty far away. nicer for the Summer (a/c) but it def comes in handy for winter (heater and turn on heated seats)

just some ideas. and is much cheaper if you want to do it yourself, and not that hard to figure out, even your first time. you can even get a remote start professorially installed for like $200 - $400, but please goto a custom shop, not a retail store like bestbuy =]

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote