318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
1997 manual 318TI M...
Today 09:38 AM
Last post by angwydwagon
Today 09:38 AM
0 Replies, 124 Views
Handsome gays boys from...
Today 12:47 AM
Last post by ceoshank88
Today 12:47 AM
0 Replies, 170 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,311,632 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-04-2006, 04:50 AM   #1
AlaskaBlue

Default OBD-I S52...

A little background info: My car is currently burining about a quart of oil every two weeks on normal highway driving. Since I have been at college I have not been driving much, but I recently got a very nice job teaching classical guitar about 40 miles one way. I drive about 75-80 @ 3.5k-4k max mph on the highway . I don't really drive the car that hard, but this burining oil just started. This just simply will not do. The oil consumption really puts a damper/total halt on my plans of attending DEs and doing Auto-x's over the summer and it is rather frustrating.

Solution: I have been talking to the folks at Zionsville Autosport about putting an OBD-I S52 in the car with a 6 speed w/ large diff. Has this been done before on a ti? I am making a very good income for a college student and I am shooting to get the swap done between either July 20-August 20 or the possibly the following summer/spring. The OBD-I S52 makes about 290 hp at the crank with some other basic mods. Does this sound like a good idea? Any feed back form swappers or non-swappers would be aprecciated.

Thanks

EDIT: It would be swapped into a 95ti so converting an OBD-II motor to OBD-I is legal as far as I know.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
J!m

Vehicles

Sounds reasonable to me.

I am looking for a 6-speed for my car now. Once you get the 6-speed, a custom drive shaft must be made. Other than that, everything bolts in.

The wiring on the engine (to convert to OBD-I) is a big headache, but simply labor intensive. I am reasonable certain there is a front crank sensor mount on the 3.2l engines.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:46 AM   #3
Hawkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m
Sounds reasonable to me.

I am looking for a 6-speed for my car now. Once you get the 6-speed, a custom drive shaft must be made. Other than that, everything bolts in.

The wiring on the engine (to convert to OBD-I) is a big headache, but simply labor intensive. I am reasonable certain there is a front crank sensor mount on the 3.2l engines.
You are correct about the front crank sensor mount... I saw the empty mount and immediatly called the guy I bought my motor from to see what the deal was. The hole is cast into the block in the front, but apparently the sensor is located in the back of this particular engine.
Hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
tastade

for your oil burning problem, how many miles do you drive in 2 weeks? Also, have you changed your oil recently? Old oil will burn faster. If you drive 1000 miles in 2 weeks you will need to change your oil every 2 or 3 months.

Burning oil is normal in a car as long as it is less than 1 quart/1k miles. I personally wouldn't do anything about oil burning until it was more than 1 quart / 500 miles, which is when it starts to become noticeable (blue clouds behind your car). I would also check your PCV system and make sure it is functioning correctly, maybe replace the PCV valve.
tastade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:25 AM   #5
Silver00spike

Estimate your swap to cost double, and if you can afford that, definately go for it
Silver00spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:51 AM   #6
HuGo

anything that gets you more speed and power is good to me

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote