318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Transmission

Notices

Transmission Automatic, manual and shift lever discussions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 105,349 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 68,388 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 65,626 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-20-2005, 03:52 AM   #1
Shaggy
Site Moderator

Default Tranny jumps...

Whenever I tap on the gas while cruising down the road (any speed) it feels as if it jumps like I don't know how to describe it really lol but has anyone ever felt this jumping or something related to it? Btw my car has over 200k miles on it, maybe something needs replacing.

Nick
1995 BMW 318iC.
Modifications by: Understeer.com, M3 Aerodynamics, Bilstein, Stromung, Turner Motorsports, Bavarian Autosport and Downing Atlanta Superchargers.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:14 AM   #2
aceyx

so, you're running an m44 motor? and tranny is what? also, regardless of speed, does it happen at all RPMs?

though, i'm not sure i could figure it out without driving it. does it feel like something takes a while to catch up in the tranny or like the motor is giving a burst of speed?
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 03:47 PM   #3
Shaggy
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
so, you're running an m44 motor? and tranny is what? also, regardless of speed, does it happen at all RPMs?

though, i'm not sure i could figure it out without driving it. does it feel like something takes a while to catch up in the tranny or like the motor is giving a burst of speed?
Ahhh to many questions! Ok yes im running an m44 motor and its whatever speed im going when I let off the gas and then hit it hard or tap on it it makes a the jumping feeling or thats as close of a word to explain it. No it doesn't happen at all RPMs and yeah sometimes when i'm driving at low speeds and I try to give it gas it takes a while for it to get some speed (on hot days only). Hope that answers all...

Nick
1995 BMW 318iC.
Modifications by: Understeer.com, M3 Aerodynamics, Bilstein, Stromung, Turner Motorsports, Bavarian Autosport and Downing Atlanta Superchargers.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:09 PM   #4
needle332rur

check...

-motor mounts
-tranny mounts
-center bearing on the drive shaft
-make sure the dif is tightly bolted in
-maybe somthing in the subframe is make it loose
needle332rur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 06:24 PM   #5
Shaggy
Site Moderator

Thanks i'll check into that stuff.

Nick
1995 BMW 318iC.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:06 PM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i think the big unanswered question was: auto or manual trans?
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:08 AM   #7
aceyx

sorry about the inquisition, but it really helps us figure out what's actually happening, and in the end, helping you out.

i'm just gonna take an educated guess here: you have a manual tranny. the "jump" only occurs at high (4k+) RPMs.

when it's hot out, the a/c is on. it slugs, but only until about 2750 RPMs. at 3500, it's wailing again.

does that sound about right or am i just making stuff up again?
Old 08-21-2005, 03:15 PM   #8
Shaggy
Site Moderator

Quote:
sorry about the inquisition, but it really helps us figure out what's actually happening, and in the end, helping you out.

i'm just gonna take an educated guess here: you have a manual tranny. the "jump" only occurs at high (4k+) RPMs.

when it's hot out, the a/c is on. it slugs, but only until about 2750 RPMs. at 3500, it's wailing again.

does that sound about right or am i just making stuff up again?
No, I have an automatic tranny and the "jump" only occurs at low 2500-3000 RPMs when im just cruising along. Yes, it does slug when a/c is on untill over 3k RPMs. I'm just guessing something is in need of replacing because its worn from exessive milage (200k miles )

Nick
1995 BMW 318iC.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:26 PM   #9
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy
No, I have an automatic tranny and the "jump" only occurs at low 2500-3000 RPMs when im just cruising along. Yes, it does slug when a/c is on untill over 3k RPMs. I'm just guessing something is in need of replacing because its worn from exessive milage (200k miles )
alright, i was totally making stuff up.

the slugging is normal--well, at least a certain amount. the torque curve on this motor doesn't really kick in until about 3k. if it's REALLY slugging, could be the a/c clutch.

as far as the jump, it sounds like either a worn synchro ($$$) or a software glitch. does it shift smoothly when you nail the throttle? how are downshifts when you're slowly decelerating?

another potential problem is the gear selector isn't quite selecting. jiggle the knob and make sure it hasn't fallen into 3. i also remember there are "a" and "m" modes, does the jump occur in both?
Old 08-21-2005, 07:25 PM   #10
Shaggy
Site Moderator

Quote:
alright, i was totally making stuff up.

the slugging is normal--well, at least a certain amount. the torque curve on this motor doesn't really kick in until about 3k. if it's REALLY slugging, could be the a/c clutch.

as far as the jump, it sounds like either a worn synchro ($$$) or a software glitch. does it shift smoothly when you nail the throttle? how are downshifts when you're slowly decelerating?

another potential problem is the gear selector isn't quite selecting. jiggle the knob and make sure it hasn't fallen into 3. i also remember there are "a" and "m" modes, does the jump occur in both?
After I replaced my spark plug wires with new Bavarian autosport 8mm it shifted alot more smoother, downshifting and everything. It happens in both "m" and "a" modes. If you cant really help me with this problem anymore its ok I will just ask my dad. Hes a mechanic but, only reason I havn't asked him yet is cause whenever I report a problem to him about my car he thinks its my fault its broken.

Nick
1995 BMW 318iC.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:27 PM   #11
stormos

your car is not bad at all.... but the spoiler.... i really do NOT like.
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 10:03 PM   #12
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy
After I replaced my spark plug wires with new Bavarian autosport 8mm it shifted alot more smoother, downshifting and everything. It happens in both "m" and "a" modes. If you cant really help me with this problem anymore its ok I will just ask my dad.
i'm trying to help, but diagnosing auto problems, let alone over the internet, is pretty difficult without you providing enough information.

think about going to the doctor; if you show up and say "my stomach hurts" then there's not a damn thing he can do to fix it until he starts asking questions and running test. now imagine the doctor is 1000 miles away, and still trying to help remedy the problem. the more pertinent info you get to us, the more likely we'll be able to pinpoint the problem. capische?

so how did you pull the plugs and how did they look?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:16 PM   #13
Shaggy
Site Moderator

Quote:
i'm trying to help, but diagnosing auto problems, let alone over the internet, is pretty difficult without you providing enough information.

think about going to the doctor; if you show up and say "my stomach hurts" then there's not a damn thing he can do to fix it until he starts asking questions and running test. now imagine the doctor is 1000 miles away, and still trying to help remedy the problem. the more pertinent info you get to us, the more likely we'll be able to pinpoint the problem. capische?

so how did you pull the plugs and how did they look?
Oh when at first I checked out my spark plugs and all that in there there was oil everywhere! So immediatly I knew there was something wrong, the head gasket was worn for the spark plugs. I immediatly orded a new set from bavarian autosport(my favorate site ) and new 8mm spark plug wires. Now that made a big difference on my cars performance after doing all that but, thats still not helping the fact that my car feels as if its jumping still. So my next theory comes to something with the transmission. What to do there I do not know. Gotta ask the BMW experts at 318ti.org. I really don't know what to do still... ask more questions, I got more answers.

Nick
1995 BMW 318iC.