318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Brakes

Notices

Brakes From what pads to use to brake upgrades.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,911 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,818 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,122 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #61
Artem

Vehicles

Yea Marv17, I really wnat to know the dimensions of those adapters. I got SS lines all around , E36 328i brakes up front and rear calipers off an E34 on the back, but I would like to get more boost in my engine once it passes smog and more braking power, I wanted to use M3 brakes all around but I never knew how I could get the rears to mount. Can you do a quick sketch w. dims?

Cheers,
Artem
Artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #62
Marv17

I apologize. I don't visit here as often these days.
I don't hv the exact dimensions of the adapter size it was an odd bracket. It's more of a spacer and allows you to move the mounting hole over for the M3 caliper.
Also, I never tried it with a regular E36 so I'm not sure if that will work but it's worth a try and could make it more on a budget. If anyone knows that all E36, except the 318ti, share the same caliper mounting points that will help.
If enough ppl are interested I can have more made as well. Unless you want to make them yourself that's fine too.
I used aircraft/space grade aluminum with the best resistance to corrosion, heat, and best strength overall.

I also had to modify the caliper carrier. Had to grind off about 1-2 mm from the middle, where the rotors sits in between. The brackets aren't 100% perfect so that's why I had to do that. If has off by a hair, and to prevent the caliper carrier from grinding on the rotor I did that.

It's been a few months already with already 3k miles on them at least. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:38 AM   #63
killergopher

So I talked to Ireland and they said it is not a typo that the kit they offer does work with the ti. In a few weeks I'll pick up the kit and go from there.

killergopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #64
Artem

Vehicles

Hey Marv,

Id love to get the CAD files for the adapters if you still got them, it would simplify me having to measure the calipers + rotor offset, etc.

I'm thinking I'll make mine out of SS, i'm a bit weary of aluminum under fatigue, steel doesnt respond to repetitive stress in the way Al does.

Cheers,
Artem
Old 11-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #65
Marv17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post
Hey Marv,

Id love to get the CAD files for the adapters if you still got them, it would simplify me having to measure the calipers + rotor offset, etc.

I'm thinking I'll make mine out of SS, i'm a bit weary of aluminum under fatigue, steel doesnt respond to repetitive stress in the way Al does.

Cheers,
Artem
Pm me your email or number. Didn't realize you were a local, to me anyway. You're more than welcome to come by and take a look at it. I think I still have a single adapter somewhere which was my prototype.
Need to get the PDF/CAD files from my friend. He can make you one if you like. Just hv to buy your own material and bring it over.
Just keep in mind, it's not perfect since I had to make some alterations to the caliper carrier. But it doesn't impede on the function or performance of the braking capabilities.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #66
Artem

Vehicles

Hi, my number is 617-five01 six 3 four 5. I am in NorCal, sf bay area. My email is artem dot lepilov at gmail.com it would be awesome if I could just get the general idea of it and the very basic hole-to-hole dimensions. Do you know - are the rear 1series brake disks the same as the new rear 3 series brake disks? (e90)

Let me know if you have any questions or need anything made, I have machining capabilities here as well.

Cheers,
Artem
Old 12-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #67
slade13

cool,thanks 1996 328ti.now i know what i'll be replacing this spring.
slade13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:52 AM   #68
e30polak

Very interested in the caliper brackets to make the rear brakes work with the 1 series rotors!

Sending a PM your way Marv!
e30polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #69
Artem

Vehicles

Hey can someone who has done this rear brake upgrade throw me a basic drawing or just dimensions?? I got rear M3 pads, rear M3 calipers, I need to know which disks (although I can look it up earlier - I think E90 rear vented)

The car is up on the lift and I got everything in it, I want to do this before its too late (IE - the swap job is done)

Thanks guys!
Old 03-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #70
lbthe3rd

Default e36 318ti to M3 Rear Brake Upgrade (Sort-Of)

I am going to be attempting this rear brake upgrade with custom 7050 Aluminum adapter plates (That I will be machining) for the e36 M3 Rear Calipers on the the stock 318ti trailing arms. I will post plenty of pictures and CAD drawings of the adapter when I get it to work.

From the limited info available on this custom brake upgrade this is what I have discovered:

Stock e36 318ti Rear Rotor:

Stock e36 M3 Rear Rotor:

Stock e85 Z4 3.0L Rear Rotor:

Stock e82 128i Rear Rotor:

The above images depict the dimensions of the rear rotors of each of the bold-lettered vehicles. When talking OEM rear rotors that are vented BBK upgrades for our cars and that would allow for the 318ti E-Brake shoes to still work there are two that seem to fit the bill (That I was able to find). These are the e85 Z4 3.0L rear rotors and the e82 128i rear rotors. As you can see from the dimensions they each have similar hat heights to the stock rotor, and although not depicted they both use 160mm diameter E-Brake shoes (Same as the 318ti). Our Shoes are 5mm wider in friction material than either the e82 or e85 e-brake shoes, but that should not effect the functionality of the parking brake.

I am going to choose the e82 rotors as I have the e36 M3 rear calipers, and looking at the thickness and diameter of the 128i rotor, it most closely resembles the thickness and diameter of the M3 rotor, which means that the application will be an almost perfect pairing for the piston travel of the caliper and the bias should be nearly identical to the M3 (with matching front brake calipers/rotors/brake servo/and master cylinder of course).

I believe that the aftermarket rear BBK upgrades from IE and the bracket available from 300mm.de were designed around using the Z4 rotor as they are advertised as 294mm x 19mm vented upgrades which corresponds to the diameter and thickness of that rotor, so this I presume would be another viable rotor choice, but as it is a tad thinner than the 128i rotor (an consequently even thinner yet than the M3 rotor) I don't believe it to be the better choice to pair with M3 rear calipers. If you got the Z4 calipers to match they would be a good upgrade option as well over the stock 318ti rear brakes.

To be clear, any of these proposed upgrades are not direct bolt-ons and would require some or all of the following:

- modification of the 318ti backing plate to either remove or flatten out the lip on the perimeter of the backing plate that used to fit the stock 272mm diameter rotors as it would certainly interfere with the larger rotors.
- Possibly cutting the backing plate to make clearance space for any custom carrier adapters and/or calipers installed that are larger than the stock calipers.
- Possible Custom rear brake line to reach the new calipers.
- And of course a custom bracket/adapter to mate the new caliper's carrier to the 318ti hub's mounting points and move the caliper the correct distance away from the center of the hub to fit the larger diameter rotor.

Hope this info helps all contemplating a less costly rear brake upgrade than the Z3M sub-frame swap. I should have this project done some time in early May of this year and will be able to contribute real tangible documentation to back up this research proof of concept.

All credit for the idea of using the e36 M3 caliper paired with the e82 128i rear rotors should go to "Marv17." To the best of my knowledge he has already done this swap successfully and is the reason why I am even pursuing this project.

Cheers
lbthe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:12 AM   #71
Artem

Vehicles

Thanks dude! I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure! Let me know if you need help with CAD drawings or anything.

Cheers,
Artem
Old 06-10-2014, 05:48 AM   #72
RBE36

Hey fellas,

This has been done and done already. It's pretty straight forward. I simply bought the adapter bracket from Tino at 300mm.de. German website, but he speaks perfect english.
Pricey for a little piece of metal?. 300 bucks. Make a cad file and pay someone to mill it and hope its right can be spendy too. Local machine shop is 100 an hour.

I bought the bracket $300
rotors from rock auto for an '06 Z4 3.0 (rear of course) $65
and m3/750il calipers of ebay $50
EBC yellostuff pads $95
Stock brake lines were fine.

I have M3 brakes o the front.
RBE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:21 PM   #73
Hotredti

Vehicles

A photo of the brackets/adapters and or a dimensioned sketch sure would be nice.
Hotredti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #74
Kindlosch

Any progress with discs from 128i?

I got the calipers from the E34 540 for 300x20mm disc and I'm interested discs from 128i.
Kindlosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #75
Hotredti

Vehicles
Default Rear Brake Option

I went with the E34 525i rear calipers and M3 pads. Very happy with this along with my M3 fronts.
Hotredti is offline   Reply With Quote