318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exhausts

Notices

Exhausts Aftermarket exhaust discussions.

» Recent Threads
Handsome gays boys from...
Today 12:47 AM
Last post by ceoshank88
Today 12:47 AM
0 Replies, 52 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,311,216 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-06-2004, 03:14 AM   #16
barische

OK MAN thanks alot i will be thinkin on this. there is not much many upg i could do wiht 600 dolars, i guess, i really dont feel like messin wiht the car chips and stuff. maybe i will get a new cd player and clear turn signals
Old 11-15-2004, 04:27 PM   #17
L84THSKY

Default Install

My Stromung exhaust came in last week. I haven't even opened the box yet. When I was doing the M3 shifter this last weekend, i took a look at the exhaust system. Someone said that a tool is needed to remove both oxygen sensors. Why is that, they look simple to remove? I bought from the dealer, all of the misc parts needed to replace the mufflers I.E. nuts, bolts and hangers.

Anyone want to see pics of the muffler before install, I will take pics of it in my garage tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi318
I'm sure there is a performance difference with the Stomung installed, but it wasn't anything I was able to feel. It MIGHT feel a little quicker to rev in the higher rpms. It sounds 500 times better IMO. The stock exhaust was the same diameter pipe I think, but it also was crimped down in a couple spots to gain clearance around suspension components. The Stromung isn't crimped anywhere and the pipe diameter is consistent, but still fits fine under the car. The Stomung's muffler is also about half the size. The stock exhaust works pretty well, so if you're getting it for performance ONLY and dont care about the sound at all, you might be getting 5 or 6 hp for close to 500 bucks and might not be worth it. I'd go for something else like a chip. But if it's the sound you want, it's worth it IMO.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:55 AM   #18
L84THSKY

Just installed the Stromung exhaust today. On the way home from my brother's house, the only noticeable difference was I had to turn up the CD player's volume to hear it. Car sounds alot louder, and haven't noticed any performance gain. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Quote:
I'm sure there is a performance difference with the Stomung installed, but it wasn't anything I was able to feel. It MIGHT feel a little quicker to rev in the higher rpms. It sounds 500 times better IMO. The stock exhaust was the same diameter pipe I think, but it also was crimped down in a couple spots to gain clearance around suspension components. The Stromung isn't crimped anywhere and the pipe diameter is consistent, but still fits fine under the car. The Stomung's muffler is also about half the size. The stock exhaust works pretty well, so if you're getting it for performance ONLY and dont care about the sound at all, you might be getting 5 or 6 hp for close to 500 bucks and might not be worth it. I'd go for something else like a chip. But if it's the sound you want, it's worth it IMO.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 11-22-2004, 09:31 PM   #19
bmw318tiChic

I've been wanting to get new exhaust for my car too. Is the sound of the Stromung exhaust really deep? I don't want it to end up sounding like all of those Civics and Integras.. I want it deep.. not like a bumblebee in a can.
bmw318tiChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:32 PM   #20
swits

Check out http://understeer.com. If you scroll to the bottom, they have a few videos of a ti driving around with a Stromung exhaust. =)
swits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:01 PM   #21
L84THSKY

I was gonna make a few MPG video files for people to listen to the exhaust. Like Swits said, you can hear the exhaust at understeer.com. To be honest, it sounds like someone took my stock exhaust, and punched a hole in it. Not sure if I like it yet, but will keep it on anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw318tiChic
I've been wanting to get new exhaust for my car too. Is the sound of the Stromung exhaust really deep? I don't want it to end up sounding like all of those Civics and Integras.. I want it deep.. not like a bumblebee in a can.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 11-26-2004, 06:27 AM   #22
L84THSKY

Default 2 pics

This weekend, I will make a video of the sound.
Here are 2 pics of the muffler.
I'm starting to get used to the muffler. It's not too loud, and definitely doesn't sound like a ricer.

http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/Exhaust.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/l84thsky/ExhaustTip.JPG

Quote:

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 11-29-2004, 05:51 PM   #23
L84THSKY

Default Here are the videos

This is a link to 4 videos I made. Three are about the Stromung muffler, the other one shows the short shifter....ENJOY

Quote:
http://iris.nyit.edu/~egrodsky/BMW/318ti.html

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 12-03-2004, 03:16 AM   #24
bimmerboi318

L84THSKY: Notice any change in the tone yet? It should change noticably for the first few weeks of use. I think it took about a month or so for mine to break in fully.
others...
bimmerboi318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:49 PM   #25
L84THSKY

It sounded a little ricey last night when I was leaving school. I think in the end, it will be considered a purely non performance upgrade. It sounds cool at times, but I doubt the change in sound is worth $500.00 in itself.

Anyone interested in buying the stock muffler system? The car only has 35K miles on it, and the muffler looks great.

Quote:
L84THSKY: Notice any change in the tone yet? It should change noticably for the first few weeks of use. I think it took about a month or so for mine to break in fully.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 02-04-2005, 07:11 PM   #26
Panzer_M

did my on my own, within a week of getting my Ti.

The OEM exhaust was being a bitch so I cut the rubber gaskets with my dremel.

then had to buy new ones.

live and learn
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:16 PM   #27
L84THSKY

I had the same problem. The only difficult part of the Stroming install, was getting the old rubber donuts off the rear. I used a small hacksaw. I'm actually very happy with the sound now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer_M
did my on my own, within a week of getting my Ti.

The OEM exhaust was being a bitch so I cut the rubber gaskets with my dremel.

then had to buy new ones.

live and learn

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd