318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
My 318ti build
Yesterday 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
Yesterday 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 242 Views
1997 manual 318TI M...
05-13-2024 09:38 AM
Last post by angwydwagon
05-13-2024 09:38 AM
0 Replies, 1,666 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-04-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
marcopolio

Default Unique Central Locking Problem

So, ever since I've had my car the door locks would lock when I started the car and unlock when I shut off the ignition. Is that stock or does that mean I have a keyless entry box in my car? Anyway, whatever it is, it stopped doing its thing last week and I don't know why. Thats not even my real question though. The real issue with my central locking is that locking either door with the key will lock/ unlock the other door, but the hatch seems to be disconnected in some way. It has never locked or unlocked without me manually putting the key into the hatch lock. This concerns me more now that I just ordered one of those plug and play alarm systems. I'm afraid it wont lock or unlock the hatch and that sucks. Also, on my 91 318is, there was also a lock for the fuel door, but its either missing on my ti or non-existant. Any input would be much appreciated.
-David
marcopolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:08 PM   #2
campaiar

The fuel door on a 95 TI is opened manually from outside the car, I'm not sure about newer versions, but there is no latching mechanism on it, so no lock.

The hatch should lock and unlock with the rest of the car and the keyless entry. You might check to see if the actuator is frozen, unplugged, disconnected or missing.
M3 S52 3.2 I-6 Engine, M3 Clutch w/ ti Getrag Trans, Z3 3.15 LSD medium case diff and half shafts, OEM Hatch Spoiler, Eurosport HP Underdrive Pulleys, FDM, 17" DS1 rims, M3 Front Struts & Springs, M3 Instrument Cluster, 3-spoke //M steering wheel with tri-color stitching, SSK, CCFL Angels in Depo projectors with 5k HIDs
campaiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
J!m

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by campaiar
The fuel door on a 95 TI is opened manually from outside the car, I'm not sure about newer versions, but there is no latching mechanism on it, so no lock.

The hatch should lock and unlock with the rest of the car and the keyless entry. You might check to see if the actuator is frozen, unplugged, disconnected or missing.
On my '98 the fuel door locks when the car is 'double locked'; IE locked with the key in any door (including the hatch).

There is a small black plunger than comes out from the edge of the door opening that catches the fuel door to secure it.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m
On my '98 the fuel door locks when the car is 'double locked'; IE locked with the key in any door (including the hatch).

There is a small black plunger than comes out from the edge of the door opening that catches the fuel door to secure it.
Same thing on my car.

As for the hatch, make sure the key hole is vertically aligned when you pull the key out, if you take the key out while is it horizontally aligned then it won't work with the central locking system.
Member #1 Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club
http://www.geocities.com/guywiththebluecar/GDBsig2.bmp
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:53 AM   #5
mohaughn

I have a 95 ti, and the gas flap locks with the doors just like any other BMW. The central locking system locks any doors, any hatches, and the gas flap. The only time they don't lock is if the actuator for that particular door does not work.. Which is quit common on the e36's... The driver side door actuator doesn't work on my 318 or 328... But I know what to replace if I want them to work.. It just isn't worth the cost. If the rear hatch didn't lock I would probably pay to have it fixed.. as it is I can always manually lock the driver side door where the auto lock doesn't work.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
marcopolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn
I have a 95 ti, and the gas flap locks with the doors just like any other BMW. The central locking system locks any doors, any hatches, and the gas flap. The only time they don't lock is if the actuator for that particular door does not work.. Which is quit common on the e36's... The driver side door actuator doesn't work on my 318 or 328... But I know what to replace if I want them to work.. It just isn't worth the cost. If the rear hatch didn't lock I would probably pay to have it fixed.. as it is I can always manually lock the driver side door where the auto lock doesn't work.
Thats what I thought about the gas flap, but everyone around here seems to have a slightly different opinion. I'll try to dig out the hatch actuator tomorrow and see if there's an obvious problem, but I have a feeling it will be one of those things I don't know how to fix.
marcopolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:36 PM   #7
aceyx

Does the trunk light stay on when you open the hatch?

Just thinking that the central locking might think the hatch isn't closed fully.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:47 PM   #8
marcopolio

The hatch light stays on when the hatch is open and it turns off as it should when the hatch is closed. I checked all my Central locking fuses, so I guess next I open up my hatch and get to the actuator.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:53 PM   #9
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolio
The hatch light stays on when the hatch is open and it turns off as it should when the hatch is closed. I checked all my Central locking fuses, so I guess next I open up my hatch and get to the actuator.
I still can't get my hatch light to work.
Member #1 Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club
http://www.geocities.com/guywiththebluecar/GDBsig2.bmp
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 09:32 AM   #10
marcopolio

Unhappy

Okay, I tore apart the hatch today and found the problem. A little metal arm that hooks through a little plastic loop fell out somehow. I was very fortunate to find the little plastic piece that it connects to because it had fallen into the hatch and without it I wouldn't have been able to figure out what the problem was. Okay, so I got my plug and play alarm today from bmwalarms.com and it appears to work except it doesn't lock or unlock my doors. It chirps and flashes and makes my hazard lights flash when a door is open for some stupid reason, but no lockie. I emailed the fools who sold it to me. Also, my friend and I attempted to install my Bavauto springs and Bilstein struts, but we cant seem to compress the spring enough to reinstall the front struts. It seems like there should be a way to lower the front wheel mount to allow enough room to get some bolts in, but I've never worked on this part of any car and my Chilton book isn't doing the trick. Anyone been through this that can give a little advice? Maybe I should start a new thread?
-D
Old 05-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #11
jetblackbimmer

Is it possibler to replace the gas lock? My girlfriend borrowed the car and now I dont have a gas lock plunger, broke it in half, after about 15 minutes of trying. I was shocked when she told me.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:49 PM   #12
marcopolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackbimmer
Is it possibler to replace the gas lock? My girlfriend borrowed the car and now I dont have a gas lock plunger, broke it in half, after about 15 minutes of trying. I was shocked when she told me.
Bitches...