318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,002,056 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-05-2006, 06:35 AM   #16
StealthBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by /Ada1982 / View Post
is any store have that kind of led bulbs?
I wanna change couple of them but i don't wanna order online.
The blue looks nice and a change from the orange. Another idea is change some to blue and some white. I've seen this on other cars and it looks nice.

You can buy led bulbs from Radio Shack locally. Of course online is cheaper if you shop around.

My Ultimate Driving Machines

BMWCCA #369516
http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/
Best MA ti meet pics
Recommended tint place
StealthBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:53 PM   #17
pdxmotorhead

The shade of orange in the dash is designed to give you maximum night vision. Blue or white can cantract pupils
and will cause eye strain on long night drives. Not to mention that they affect your ability to see obstacles at night...

Its not ALWAYS a style thing....

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #18
impyboy

at the moment, the dash lights are all stock, so it's still orange.
it's just a nice change when you look away from the dash to the console while at traffic lights or when stopped to see a nice change in colour.

the console still has a bit of orange on the climate control dials, but it doesn't look out of place.

i think, as long as the dash lights are not glaringly bright, it shouldn't affect your night vision on the roads. if they're as dim as the current orange lights, should be fine.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:44 PM   #19
CptnNemo

Well get to it! Let's make those dials and that dash blue and let me see what it looks like
CptnNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #20
John Firestone

I hope you guys don't mind a long post. I read up a bit on night vision and cockpit/instrumentation illumination while I was retrofitting an E39 dome light to my car.

Any light that is bright enough that you perceive color is also bright enough to reduce your night vision. The rods supply your grainy (ca. 20/200) night vision and are what you wish to excite as little as possible; the cones provide color and detail. The rods and cones have roughly the same sensitivity to red light. In the blue region, the rods are about three orders of magnitude more sensitivity than the cones. When you increase the brightness of a blue light high enough that your cones are perceiving color and detail, you are really hammering on the rods and your night vision. But you can tell this, because the blue light appears that much brighter than red light of the same (radiative) intensity.

The advantage of red light (650 nm+) is that you don't have to increase the intensity nearly as much before you excite the cones and perceive color and detail. Thus you can read things and see color under red light at lower intensities, lower intensities that excite your rods and affect your night vision less (assuming you have uncorrected, youthful vision -- more anon). That does mean, however, that red light will also appear much dimmer. If you now crank your red light up to match the brightness you perceive from blue, you are back to the same, high, radiative intensity and disturbing your night vision just as much.

Thus, the important point for preserving your night vision, is to dim the light -- be it orange, blue, green or whatever -- as much as possible.

Another advantage of red is that it is weakly perceptible in your peripheral vision which makes it less likely people will notice red instrument and cockpit lighting from outside. That should also make it less distracting when you are looking down the road.

Red light, however, has some disadvantages. It refracts less (I think I got that right) and focuses further back on the eye, pushing your vision about a diopter toward far-sightedness. If you are far-sighted like me, that is an extra diopter you have to accommodate, which becomes more of a challenge as your eyes age. I can compensate by increasing the light level, but at the cost of my night vision. Blue, on the other hand, focuses further forward and pushes your vision toward near-sightedness.

If I were feeling mischievous, I would alter my car to better match my vision and change all the interior and instrument lighting to blue or even violet. My near-sighted friends might find that tiring. I suppose I could offer them eye masks (and relaxing music) if that proves to be a problem. Likewise, those friends could reciprocate when I ride with them, and make everything in their cars emit a deep red.

As it is, I decided to be gracious and follow current practices in aircraft cockpit lighting. I flood the center console area with a dim, neutral, white light. (My camera has given it a bluish cast in the picture.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	4.4_result_ambient1.jpg Views:	95 Size:	45.0 KB ID:	2489  
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #21
impyboy

Wow, that's a really interesting read, John! thanks for that.
although, i'm not sure what to do about the near/long sightedness. The glasses compensate for that in the first place anyway. hmmm.....
Old 09-07-2006, 07:41 PM   #22
John Firestone

When you actually look through your glasses. My correction is modest enough that I often don't!

I was playing around in the dark with a red LED. It was pretty fun watching it change color from a red spot when I stared at it directly (with the cones) to a less distinct, colorless blotch as I looked away (with the rods). I tried to check if the rods and cones really were roughly equally sensitive to red light by supplying the LED a very weak current through my fingers. After a half hour of dark adaption, I would say my rods were more sensitive but not a great deal. I bet they would get blasted back to the sensitivity of the cones as soon as I turned on the parking lights.

I am not sure how important night vision is to driving given how bright the headlights are. It might actually make sense to have some ambient light in the cabin to lessen the contrast between inside and out. I really don't know but it is something I plan to test -- hey, something to do to while away the long, dark winter!
Old 09-15-2006, 09:05 AM   #23
3DGE

I want blue, someone give me a link to where I can buy the lights!
3DGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:17 PM   #24
John Firestone

If you want to buy a number of unmounted LEDs, www.mouser.com and www.digikey.com are both good sources. The Digikey site has the better parts search. With both, you may have to dive into the details and figure out what components to order. There are other sources that do a lot of that for you, but they often charge for it.

I probably have several hundred LEDs in various flavors. It is an inexpensive indulgence compared to buying OE parts for a BMW.