318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Regional Forums > United States > California > SoCal

Notices

SoCal For the discussion of social events in Southern California only.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 997,000 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-16-2007, 12:17 AM   #1
HuGo

Default 10psi Pulley Help

As you guys know i got the stg 3 software done. When putting in the ECU back we also put the smaller pulley in.

So stock pulley is at 7.5 pounds and the smaller pulley should be at 9.5 pounds.

Well, my gauge/boost isnt showing 9-10psi but at most 8. Why is this? Could it be the belt at all? Can a Vacuum leak cause this? My Vacuum idle is at 17-19. Or what else could it be that it isnt boosting at 10?

Could it be that as i am revving into the higher RPMS the boost goes up little by little? Ive tried doing this and taking a quick glance before i have to shift, and i still dont see it at 10.

From what i remember, you could hear the whining spool at around 4k rpms. Ever since the software upgrade i start to hear it around 3,600k RPMS. Could it be that i am running at 9.5psi but the gauge isnt showing it?

I was planning on buying the other smaller pulley "11.5-12psi pulley" hoping that from that pulley it will read 10.5 I say this because the "9.5-10 pulley" isnt reading at that boost. But i dont want to put this one on, and this one actually does works/read at 12psi, and hits 12 pounds then my motor blows up.

BTW, i searched the forum, and there is NOTHING on this question. So yea the "search the forums" or posting the "advanced search link" is out of the question.

Thanks for the help.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:51 AM   #2
ClubSport

Did you put on a shorter belt at the same time? Maybe you're getting some belt slip. When I went from my 6 psi pulley to 9, I had to put on a belt 1/2" shorter or the tension was nil. It all depends on where your tensioner is in its range of motion.
ClubSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:17 AM   #3
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubSport View Post
Did you put on a shorter belt at the same time? Maybe you're getting some belt slip. When I went from my 6 psi pulley to 9, I had to put on a belt 1/2" shorter or the tension was nil. It all depends on where your tensioner is in its range of motion.
That's one of the things that came in my mind. But when i measured the pulleys together it almost seemed like there was no difference. The tension was still tight, so i didnt think it might be the belt. 6 to 9 is a lot.

BUT, i think i might need a new belt soon since it makes noise when i first start the car (not to loud). When i do get a new belt, ill proably get a little bit smaller.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:56 AM   #4
HuGo

Any help for a 318ti.org member on www.318ti.org?

Ive done my share of helping when ppl PM me or i PM them.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 09-20-2007, 02:41 AM   #5
HuGo

Kool thanks 318ti.org members and site supporters...

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 09-20-2007, 02:48 AM   #6
ClubSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuGo View Post
That's one of the things that came in my mind. But when i measured the pulleys together it almost seemed like there was no difference. The tension was still tight, so i didnt think it might be the belt. 6 to 9 is a lot.

BUT, i think i might need a new belt soon since it makes noise when i first start the car (not to loud). When i do get a new belt, ill proably get a little bit smaller.
If you measured the size of the pulleys and there's almost no difference, then that's the problem right there.

The sound of belt slip reinforces my previous idea.
ClubSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubSport View Post
If you measured the size of the pulleys and there's almost no difference, then that's the problem right there.

The sound of belt slip reinforces my previous idea.
I put them together and i would say the difference was maybe like 1/7 of an inch smaller.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 09-27-2007, 01:18 AM   #8
the governor

Hugo check with DustenT he was experiencing some similar issue with not getting the psi he was setup for.
the governor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:34 AM   #9
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by el pollo loco View Post
Hugo check with DustenT he was experiencing some similar issue with not getting the psi he was setup for.
Im not even going to attempt to ask him. He aint going to help me.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...