318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,006,931 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
ShortE36

Question To Mods & Ti Fans: Do we need pics of the instrument cluster?

Need to replace 2 bulbs back there and I've already pulled it out twice so I'm a pro now. I was thinking of taking pics of the back of mine and highlighting all the embossed items so we could post as a sticky for reference. I've already had to go to the dealer 3 times to get bulbs cuz I was too lazy to pull it out beforehand. RealOem only shows you 1 type in the illustration and there are 3 different types of bulbs that I can see.
ShortE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Mallard

Vehicles

go for it

geta good pic or 2 of the back, and the different bulb types and sizes / colours

and the BMW part numbers, and we should have it in the ifo section

Vin Number decode and Retrofit Pdfs Available Free ! Just PM
Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:09 AM   #3
ShortE36

Took the pics. Need to edit. Will get them up tomorrow most likely.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
96cali

Go ahead and post. If you die, it will be your legacy.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
ShortE36

hahahaha.. I can live with that.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:41 AM   #6
ShortE36

Default First Pic

Depending on your monitor or display device, your image may not be as accurate or clear as mine but I thought this one came out pretty good. It was taken with a Canon SD1000 at full res and cropped. I'm looking at it on a DELL XPS M1330 laptop LCD screen.

What I wanted to do, is re-color the embossed bits so it would be clearer to see as well as add some notes to the pic on the bulbs, wattage, etc. Unfortunately I don't have a ton of time but I will try to get to it. But if someone here can accomplish the same thing in their spare time, that would be good too.

Removal is very easy on the Ti. No need to remove the steering wheel.

1. Remove two torx screws under the dash. I used a 7/32 allen key.
2. Remove the headlight pull knob by turning it all the way to the left and then unscrewing it.
3. Flick your turn signal lever/stalk all the way down so as to say you're turning left.
4. Push in (towards the front of the car) on the bottom of the instrument cluster with your thumbs or index fingers. The top should pop out towards you.
5. Pull the cluster as far out as possible and maneuver it so the top of the cluster is tucked just under inside top of the steering wheel. This is probably the farthest it can go.
6. Remove the 3 cables hooked up to it by pressing down on the tab while sliding the handle on the connector upwards.
7. With all 3 removed, put your key in the ignition and put it in the accessory position. This should allow you to turn the steering wheel a bit.
8. Open your driver side door
9. Crank the steering wheel to the left while sliding the cluster out in that direction. It will take some maneuvering but you'll see how it goes once you start doing this.

Once it's out, examine the back for the bulb you need to replace. Hopefully this pic will help you get it before you have to pull it out and you'll have the right bulb on hand. You can verify if the bulb is good or not by looking at the filiment to see if it's connected or burned out.

Yellow sockets = 12v 1.5w [BMW Part No. 62111391260]
Black sockets = 12v 1.2w [BMW Part No. 62131383311]
Green sockets = 12v 3w [BMW Part No. 07119905358]

Bulbs for the Yellow and Black sockets are not replaceable via the dealer. You need to replace the entire socket and when purchased, it comes with the bulb.

Bulbs for the green sockets are replaceable and simply pull out.

The green bulbs act as overall illumination for everything on the dash such as the speedo, tach, fuel gauge & temp.

The smaller ones are for individual lights. You will see one off to the right that also is labeled with the fuel gauge but that is specifically for the light that comes on when you're low on fuel.

The two Yellow sockets are for the Odometer & Oil Service Interval sections.

All sockets/slots are identified by the embossed lettering on the plastic. For reference, my Ti is a 10/97 production that came with the Active Package.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortE36 View Post
1. Remove two torx screws under the dash. I used a 7/32 allen key.
is that the 2 that are above the cluster in front? I can't figure out a better way to phrase it

EDIT: these 2?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	80460187_bd52357003.jpg Views:	273 Size:	41.8 KB ID:	6874  
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
ShortE36

Thumbs up

Yes it is. I couldn't think of a better way to phrase it either.

*Edit - responding to your Edit - yup those are the two. Thanks for the pic.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:21 AM   #9
Sergey

ShortE36, do you still have the pic of the back of the instrument cluster? It's not on photobucket.com anymore. Could you post it on 318ti.org?

Thanks,
Sergey.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:03 AM   #10
Manan^BMW

Vehicles

I have the exact same problem as mentioned earlier in the post. The Odo and Trip meter lights have almost faded out. This prompted me to think that the bulbs are shot out ( the mechanic I showed it to said its the LCD screen which has burned out...*sigh*)

Can anyone repost the picture of the back of the instrument panel please? I would much appreciate it.

Thanks very much in advance.

Manan
Manan^BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #11
familytruckster

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manan^BMW View Post
I have the exact same problem as mentioned earlier in the post. The Odo and Trip meter lights have almost faded out. This prompted me to think that the bulbs are shot out ( the mechanic I showed it to said its the LCD screen which has burned out...*sigh*)

Can anyone repost the picture of the back of the instrument panel please? I would much appreciate it.

Thanks very much in advance.

Manan
Why? The info is there. 2 yellow socket bulbs. Or you tell the guy at the BMW dealer what bulbs you need. They are right behind the odo/service LCD. If you can see the digits in sunlight or if you shine a flashlight into the screen you should be able to see the display-enough to tell if it's the bulbs or not.