318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Knowledge Base

Notices

Knowledge Base How to articles and things explained.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Comments, 100,124 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Comments, 63,036 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Comments, 60,270 Views
Comment Share/Bookmark

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Power Steering Refresh - DIY. PICS!
Power Steering Refresh - DIY. PICS!
Published by CirrusSR22
04-19-2007
Default Power Steering Refresh - DIY. PICS!

Replace your power steering fluid, reservoir, and supply lines.

Parts Needed
• Fluid Reservoir w/ Integral Filter: 32 41 1 097 164
• Fluid Supply Hose (reservoir to pump): 32 41 1 092 982
• Return Hose/Pipe (rack to reservoir): 32 41 1 093 137
• Banjo Bolt Sealing Rings (2x): 32 41 1 093 597
• Normal Hose Clamps, 7/8" to 3/8"? (3x)
• Automatic Transmission Fluid, Dexron III. I recommend 4 quarts.

*Optional* Parts, Not Shown Here
• High Pressure Steering Hose (pump to rack): 32 41 1 093 341
• Sealing Ring (pump output): 64 50 8 390 601
• Banjo Bolt Sealing Rings (2x): 32 41 1 093 596

For your reference, here's a parts diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...26&hg=32&fg=20

Tools Needed
• Stubby Flathead Screwdriver (for worm-drive hose clamps)
• Diagonal Cutting Pliers (for cutting stock hose crimps)
• 10mm Combo Wrench (reservoir & "trombone" removal / installation
• 22mm Combo Wrench (for Banjo bolt)
• Can of Brake Cleaner
• Page #2 of This Document: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/steering-flush.pdf

Here's some of the parts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1. Begin with safely supporting the front end of the car. I used jack stands instead of ramps, so the wheels were free to turn.

#2. To prevent pump and rack contamination, thoroughly clean the banjo bolt (rack output) and pump input connections with brake cleaner.
Overall system:

A VERY messy reservoir to pump hose. Access is hard, but clean the connection as good as possible:

There's a banjo bolt under all that gunk, trust me:

After some cleaning:

Reservoir shot from the top:
Tutorial Tools

By CirrusSR22 on 04-19-2007, 02:42 AM

#3. The general process it to flush the system with the old pieces in place, then do it again with the new parts. I started by sucking all the fluid I could out of the reservoir with a turkey baster, but that step is optional. It cuts down on the mess.

Start by cutting the small hose's crimp/clamp and pulling the hose away from the reservoir. Fluid will leak, so be prepared to catch it. You can see how nasty black mine is.

#4. Once the fluid is done draining, plug the reservoir with the cap from your new reservoir. We are creating a way to add fluid to the reservoir, but not have it return through the system.

#5. Now comes the time to flush the system. Take the loose hose and direct it into a large pan or container. Add clean fluid to the reservoir, start the car, and quickly turn the wheel full left and right. The reservoir will get sucked dry very quickly and start to gurgle. I don't know how much of that is acceptable, so I shut the car off as soon as I got lock-to-lock. Fill the reservoir again, and repeat the same process. I did it numerous times to make sure I got clean fluid throughout. I ran through 2+ quarts doing this procedure.

#6. Remove the banjo bolt, and the small bolt holding the trombone in place. Remove the trombone.

#7. Remove the pump supply hose by unscrewing the worm clamp and cutting the crimped clamp. Here's a shot looking down the pump input nozzle (bad angle, sorry).

#8. Loosen the bolt clamping the reservoir in place. Remove the old reservoir, and replace it with the new one. *NOTE* Before you tighten the reservoir in place, make sure the large output is rotated to be as far to the left of the car as possible (see pictures). The hoses will be stretched if the reservoir is in the wrong position.

#9. VERY carefully clean the banjo connection mating surface on the rack. A clean surface will prevent leaks. Debris into the rack can cause damage. Using the new sealing rings, tighten the banjo bolt to 30 ft-lbs. Well, it's too confined for a torque wrench, so you'll have to wing-it. Don't forget the small trombone mounting bolt.

#10. Attach the new pump supply hose, but don't forget to slide the hose clamps on first. Attaching it to the pump isn't hard, but sliding the end onto the reservoir is VERY hard. Some clean fluid will help lubricate the hose, but it's still a pain.
By CirrusSR22 on 04-19-2007, 02:42 AM

#11. Now that we have new hoses, reservoir and filter in place, I decided to flush it again. I was unsure of how much crap I was flushing into the system when I poured clean fluid into the nasty old reservoir. Do it just like you did before, including plugging one of the reservoir holes.

#12. Attach the rack return line to the reservoir, and top off the fluid. Start the car and run the steering lock-to-lock numerous times. Check for leaks. The level will drop a bit, so you'll need to keep adding more fluid. If I read the BMW procedure correctly, start the car, remove the fluid cap, and just set it in place to get an accurate reading. It should be between the two graduations.
Ahh, all back together:

#13. Go for a careful test drive, including lock-to-lock turns. Check the level again, and recheck for leaks.

-----------------------------------------------------

Random notes:
- Keep ATF away from your belts as much as possible. ATF is nasty stuff, and I'm sure it'll only do harm to the belts.
- Prepared to get messy with this project. It's not a very clean process.
- I'd recommend buying the BMW worm-drive hose clamps (part #2 on the realoem.com diagram) It seems to be designed to avoid damage to the rubber hoses vs. the hardware store clamps. Essentially the BMW clamps don't have sharp edges.
- Reason #Eleventy-Billion not to buy an automatic transmission; The transmission cooler lines run right by the pump supply hose. They will get in your way, and they will piss you off.
- I'm sick of typing "reservoir"
By CirrusSR22 on 04-19-2007, 08:05 PM

If you are interested in trying to replace just the rubber hose portion on the trombone piece, instead of the entire assembly, here are the dimensions.

Outside Diameter: 17.5mm
Inside Diameter: 11.3mm
Total Length: 10.25"
By 316i compact on 08-11-2007, 01:32 PM

I have an ATF leak right under the ATF reservoir. What parts should i replace to get it fixed? Just the hose clamps? It is leaking bad at the point where the hoses attach to the reservoir.
By mohaughn on 08-11-2007, 04:25 PM

I'd replace the hoses and the reservoir. Every BMW I've owned has started leaking at that exact spot.. I think over time the hot steering fluid may cause tiny cracks in the inlet/outlet on the reservoir which causes the leaking to start. All in all I think this is a pretty cheap and easy repair. Much cheaper than a new steering rack. I did the same thing about 4 or 5 months ago.
By 316i compact on 08-11-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
I'd replace the hoses and the reservoir. Every BMW I've owned has started leaking at that exact spot.. I think over time the hot steering fluid may cause tiny cracks in the inlet/outlet on the reservoir which causes the leaking to start. All in all I think this is a pretty cheap and easy repair. Much cheaper than a new steering rack. I did the same thing about 4 or 5 months ago.
How much did it cost you, all the parts?
By mohaughn on 08-11-2007, 04:56 PM

Something like 80$... Cirrus gave the part numbers so hit an online parts website and look up the prices. I don't think the prices I had on parts here in the US will be the same as what you will pay. It is also possible that your car uses slightly different parts, so make sure you verify they are the correct parts for your car..
By 316i compact on 08-11-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
Something like 80$... Cirrus gave the part numbers so hit an online parts website and look up the prices. I don't think the prices I had on parts here in the US will be the same as what you will pay. It is also possible that your car uses slightly different parts, so make sure you verify they are the correct parts for your car..
It uses the same parts, but still 80$ are much at this moment for me!! I will try to fix the leak without changing anything, if it doesnt work i'll replace everything along with a Z3 rack. Thanks for your help!
By toti4 on 09-05-2007, 06:19 PM

After mine was side impacted on the passenger side front wheel/fender by another car, my power steering fluid started leaking out profusly untill it was all gone. The leaking seems to be comming from the area of the photos. Any idea what might break as a result of such a side impact?
By mohaughn on 09-05-2007, 09:29 PM

If I had to guess I would say the most likely spot would be the banjo bolt that connects the "cooler" or trumpet line to the power steering pump.

edit- I had to correct that. From the PS pump to the rack is the line I was thinking of.. it is the pressurized line that is not listed as being replaced in this DIY. I don't think that line will have very much play in it.

#5 in this photo- http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...50&hg=32&fg=20
By toti4 on 09-06-2007, 06:57 AM

I'd bet you are correct. Thanks for the very timely info!
It's a great help and much apreciated!
By duke.sf on 12-12-2007, 09:17 PM

Thanks CirrusSR22, I fixed my power steering fluid leak following your advices with little changes for my exact situation. Here are my 2 cents:

- Instead of changing the hoses, I cut about 5/8" to 3/4" from them. I've noticed the hoses are still flexible and seem in good condition, so did not make sense to change them. Only the hose section under both clamps was harder and on the supply hose even a little bit cracked, so I shortened them. Be carefull if you shorten them too much they may become too shorth.

- The original clamps were loose, probably because the rubber under them get smashed and not so elastic after all these years. You need special tool to work with these original clamps, so I used new worm style tightening clamps. Make sure you get the right size- even though the big ones can get squized to small diametar if the worm screw housing is too big they are not going to clamp the hose evenly. Also, in general these of the shelf clamps are poor quality, so check them for sharp edges along the contact surface with the hose- if so break the edges with a file.

- I kept my original power steering fluid reservoir. I took it out, cleaned it and cerfully check it out for any crack, etc.- it looks as new. Probably is good to change it at least because of the integrated filter in it, anyway I had to special order it and I didn't want to wait, so did not change it.

At the end the whole repair cost me about 2 hours and $10 (1 gallon ATF and both clamps). Hope you are not gonna label me as a miser. I just couldn't justify spending about $100 for new parts and replacing perfectly usable ones. My car is '95 ti, has 237 k miles, but is really pampered and in great condition. Always been in California, never been at freezing temps or driven on winter roads with salty antiicing solution, etc, etc., so probably that is why all these parts were O.K.
By krissi1988 on 11-14-2008, 02:59 PM

What type of power steering fluid should i use?
By tiFreak on 11-14-2008, 03:28 PM

Dexcron III ATF, don't use power steering fluid
Comment