318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,529 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-19-2008, 06:41 AM   #1
Borg561

Default Stupid drivers suck

Watching my language here. Long story short, some p***k cut me of tonight. Was a bit wet out and my tires hit some gravel. Car spun and the front end nailed the concrte side of an onramp. Car still runs, wasn't leaking anything, but the hood, bumper, grille, & drivers fender are goingto need replacing. Not much time now so more details and pics in the morning.

Justin
Borg561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
Marv17

dang. bummer man. sry to hear that happened. least you're alright tho. sucks that you have to make all those repairs now. :-/ there will always be ppl thinking they own the road...

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
Borg561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post
dang. bummer man. sry to hear that happened. least you're alright tho. sucks that you have to make all those repairs now. :-/ there will always be ppl thinking they own the road...
What really sucks is I only had the car for 4 days before this happened. And unless I can find a shop that is willing to work with me to pay the bill over time, it's not going to get fixed soon. Keeping the car no matter what though, as there's no way I could get the money to pay the loan off. Calling a couple body shops in the morning, but I'm guessing it's going to be $3,000 or more.

Justin
Old 03-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
nyle

no collision or comprehensive insurance??
Old 03-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
teetime4one

Vehicles

sad news.
hope you find the time to fix it soon.
good luck

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
thesk8nmidget

damnnnn!

Effing people! that sucks and he prolly just kept driving huh?

glad your alright
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #7
bachic55

my condolences..that sucks.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
Borg561

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyle View Post
no collision or comprehensive insurance??
Sadly nope. When I picked the check up from the bank I asked about insurance limits/requirements. The lady said that if it was a 2000 or newer they'd require full coverage, but because it was a '97 and the loan was only for $5k I could get by with just liability if I wanted. My policy just renewed this weekend and I had finally gotten the car change done yesterday morning (they were processing my renewal payment on Monday). Full coverage with a $500 deductable would have put me at around $1500 for six months. Was planning on adding it in a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
Effing people! that sucks and he prolly just kept driving huh?

glad your alright
Of course, and sadly I wasn't able to get a license plate number. Only description I could give was "a dark mid- to late-90s Chevy SUV (Tahoe/Suburban)" and it seems like they're a dime a dozen around here. Airbags didn't blow, but I didn't hit the steering wheel or anything, so yeah, I'm fine. Not really even shaken up like I was after my accident last June. Not really in a good mood and I didn't want to go to work last night, but I know I need the money so I did.

Just ran through the basic parts needed on realoem.com and came up with a parts cost of just over $2000. I'm guessing those are list prices for genuine BMW parts and that many can be found for cheaper. Also going to look at a local salvage yard that specializes in German cars. I'm assuming they won't have any Tis, but the basics (driver fender, hood, grille, bumper, headlights) from an E36 sedan will fit, right?

Pulling the pics off my camera now. Need to resize and upload them after that. Should be about 30 minutes or so and they'll be up.

Justin
Old 03-19-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
thesk8nmidget

yeah from the a pillar forward the car is the same as sedan. the front bumper will work from a coupe or sedan.

just be glad its the front of your car your replacing and not the rear!
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
Borg561

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
yeah from the a pillar forward the car is the same as sedan. the front bumper will work from a coupe or sedan.

just be glad its the front of your car your replacing and not the rear!
Yeah. It looked like the rear bumper might have been a little off, but it turned out to just be some dirt on the bumper near the wheel well. Looks like the drivers side and the bumper took the brunt of the hit. From what I can tell, the passenger fender looks like it's fine. Both corner lights and the drivers headlight need to be replaced (the back part of the headlight cracked). As much of a shock as $2000 in parts is, I'm actually a bit surprised at how inexpensive some of them are. A genuine hood for my old '98 Cavalier listed at around $700 and the BMW hood is only $500.

Justin
Old 03-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
Marv17

i know this may sound bad but at the same time while you're repairing your parts you can upgrade.... like get a m-tech front bumper and black grills, etc. but still sucks to have to spend even more money, and you just got her the other day You can find a new polyurethane bumper on bimmer forums primered. and other parts from sedans on the that forum too. (i've seen many ppl sell parts of their cars all the time) Good luck man.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:20 PM   #12
anthonyl

very sorry to hear that, I would be pissed. If it were me I would try to find out where the knob lives and F up his shnit. Then my girlfriend would call me an idiot for doing something like that. Although it would feel good to f up that guys stuff.
anthonyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:35 PM   #13
elchicano

Yea that sucks, I have had many close ones with th Ti. People keep driving like if nothing happened, gets me mad just thinking about it. But yea look around the forums there's always people selling parts.

318ti.org on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
elchicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:55 PM   #14
tiFreak

Vehicles

that really sucks, I would've been so mad if that had happened, your ti was nice too
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #15
Borg561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post
i know this may sound bad but at the same time while you're repairing your parts you can upgrade.... like get a m-tech front bumper and black grills, etc.
My car's a '97 Sport model, so it's already got the M-tech front bumper. Speaking of the black grilles though, I've seen pictures of them, and I can't really say I'm a big fan. However, I haven't seen any pics of them on a black car (like mine). Any chance somebody could point me to some pics of them on a black car? The guy that towed it last night saw the bumper and ///M emblems on the side molding and asked if it was an ///M model. He also wondered if it was a grey market car since he'd never seen a BMW hatchback.

I've thought about the upgrade route, but right now I just need to get it fixed, as quickly as possible, as cheaply as possible. Taken it in for an estimate here in an hour or so. My biggest problem is that I don't have any money saved up for something like this (if I had I probably would have put a down payment on the car and gotten a smaller loan), so I need to find a body shop that will work with me to pay it off. And I have a feeling that's going to be easier said than done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
that really sucks, I would've been so mad if that had happened, your ti was nice too
The car will look nice again someday, just can't say how soon it will be. I don't really have the option of getting rid of it since there's no way I'd get near enough money to pay off the loan. So if it comes down to dropping the Ti in the garage, getting a $500 beater, and saving up money for the repairs, that's what I'll have to do.

Oh, and the card reader on my printer is being stupid and I can't find the cable for my camera, so it's going to be a while longer for the pics to get uploaded.

Justin