318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
Beauteous gays boys in...
Yesterday 11:12 PM
Last post by mobmw
Yesterday 11:12 PM
0 Replies, 53 Views
1997 manual 318TI M...
Yesterday 09:38 AM
Last post by angwydwagon
Yesterday 09:38 AM
0 Replies, 183 Views
Handsome gays boys from...
Yesterday 12:47 AM
Last post by ceoshank88
Yesterday 12:47 AM
0 Replies, 204 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,311,730 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-17-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
teetime4one

Vehicles
Default Have you been targeted because of your BMW?

I wanted to post this to see if anyone has been through the experience of being targeted by aggressive driver or a hater because you drive a BMW? If so, please post your experience(s) either while driving or while your car has been parked. Thanks!

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:47 PM   #2
trickiekid

I have had ppl cut me off and then flip me the bird, but that may just be Baltimore drivers...
Old 06-17-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
tiFreak

Vehicles

I'm constantly tailgated, and at night the people tailgating me usually have their high-beams on
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
zboot

that's one thing that started to get to me in tallahassee. I'm usually a very nice driver. I mean, I'm aggressive when it comes to merging or whatever, but unless i'm 30 minutes late, I let people get in ahead of me or ease back when they're approaching a turn, etc. So, to get cut off, tailgated, blinded, or have people pull stunts where I'd almost rear-end them at least twice a week was starting to get me to the point where I no longer was so nice.

For example, prior to 2007, I'd never beeped the horn at anyone. EVER. Even with all the BS going on, it still took a critical mass of narrowly escaping several accidents in two days before I started using it to remind people there is a reason why stop lights and lane divisors exist.
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:03 AM   #5
elchicano

Parked:
M3 mirrors knocked off when it got hit. I have been keyed by the rear fender. The Ti got hit while parked with the guy running from the scene. The Ti also got egg one night.

Driving:
I like to think im a good driver and i'm usually on the right side of the highway if im not in a hurry. But people seem to get on my a$$ alot. They seem to tail gate me alot and try to cut me off. Also people seem to think they no longer need to use a turn signal when changing lanes, which i usually remind them by honking. But now a days people seem to kill others because of road rage so i usually try to let it go.

318ti.org on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
elchicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:12 AM   #6
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboot View Post
For example, prior to 2007, I'd never beeped the horn at anyone. EVER. Even with all the BS going on, it still took a critical mass of narrowly escaping several accidents in two days before I started using it to remind people there is a reason why stop lights and lane divisors exist.
I never just honk at people. I lay on it for an uncomfortably long 10-30 seconds to let them know how badly they messed up.

I'm generally aware of when people are about to cut me off or merge without checking their blind spot (defensive behavior from motorcycling) but if I have to nail the brakes I do not hesitate in bringing attention to the matter. Small instances I let go--there are just too many of them for me to really care about.

Sometimes I honk like that and throw on my hazards to ward off tailgaters. If that fails, I will point straight back at them. I never give the bird, just a "no" wave of my pointer finger.

As for being targeted I get it mostly from boy-racers, including the older breed, trying to prove something. It happens more because of the way I drive (fast) rather than the make of my car, because it happens no matter what I'm driving.

There are people that don't let me merge, but I just consider them douchebags, not BMW haters.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:48 AM   #7
ATF

Most of the time I'm a fairly relaxed driver and tend to never do spirited driving, especially throughout the city. I usually open it up on the highway, during ideal conditions only.

My car has been backed into, and the nose was dented, along with a cracked grill. I was parallel parked on the street though, and it was over night. So I dont think this can be said as a specific BMW target. My car has also been egged overnight, but so were several other cars (about 3 others).. So this could've also been a random act of vandalism (ironically less than 1000ft from the front window of the campus police).

As for driving experiences, I've had people cut me off, and tail gate me. But this was in the city. On the highway, I've had a select few either tail gate me, or cut me off. But this may have been because they thought I was going too fast? (I rarely reach triple digits)

BMWCCA #403399
2012 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 6-Speed
Loaded
2001 325xi, Winter Package, 5-Speed
Traded
1998 318ti, Active, Automatic, TOTAL LOSS R.I.P. 10/20/08
Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts . H&R Sport Springs . Strut Reinforcement Plates . RSM Reinforcement Plates . Fogg Airbox . X-Brace . Bosal Brospeed Catback
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:06 AM   #8
themightyquinn

More or less the same as everyone else with the tailgating and cutting off.

At school last week I came back to my car in the garage after class and saw a civic with its parking lights on across the row from me while I was still far away. I heard a yell, a thud, running, car doors slamming and tires squealing. As the civic booked out I checked out my car and there was a dent on the pass. side fender, about foot-height, that wasn't there before class. I dunno what they were planning on doing but they decided to just kick her and run off ...pussies.

Also, earlier in the month I stopped at a 7-11 for a snack, and while I was inside paying I saw two guys my age (18-20) walk by my car and spit all over the hood. I was furious so I ran outside after them but they saw me coming and were gone before I got outside.

Current euro: Black MkIII VW Gti VR6
themightyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:08 AM   #9
wolferj-RIP

I cannot say that I have been targeted because of the BMW, but I have been harrassed, threatened, gun pointed at me, attempted to be run off the road, and had verbal threats ("I'm gonna f***ing kill you, F**) numerous times. It is, unfortunately, because of who I am, not what I drive. It's happened driving a VW, a Honda, a Lexus, a Toyota, a truck, and the BMW's. There is a severe lack of tolerance and patience out there... We all must stay vigilant.
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:34 AM   #10
bimmern00b

I would say that the closest I had to this was a guy who was driving a VW. It was the model that the GTi is based on IIRC. He was trying to get me to take his challenge of a race which I ignored because I had my mother in the car with me and there is no way I would have had any peace had I taken him up on it. But I did keep my speed on a slow increase just to see how far I could go before the complaints started. He stayed in the other lane and had to slow down because of the traffic. So I continued on my way not knowing that he needed to go the same way I was going but later I looked in my rear view and there he was. He stepped on the gas and so did , I enough to keep him from passing until oncoming traffic forced him to get behind me and as I was making a right turn and he was going straight, he yelled "f*ck BMW!" at me and I ignored him and drove on...
bimmern00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:48 AM   #11
3DGE

Most everyone in my area are cool. I only notice road rage if your in the fast lane going slow.
I do get flashed every now and then, thats only because of my loud SUB's and exhaust o and my 10K HID's
3DGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:05 PM   #12
ConMasta

Parked outside of my apts in a not-so-great neighborhood of Houston, I wake up to find that someone left a bunch of ketchup and mayonaise-looking material on my passenger side headlight area, along with bits of eggshells. The white mayo had the consistency of rubber cement and turned into a clear color a day after it happened.

I dont have any obvious enemies in the apt complex where I live, so its kind of random, and judging by the amount of ketchup and the position of the mayo, Id would be more likely to assume that this was not an accident and was done intentionally.

-Conan
ConMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:45 PM   #13
Mad-Machine

I had one today.. went to pass a guy doing 5 under the limit on a back country road.. I floored it and right as I got up on him, he swerved half into my lane. I was forced to brake hard, and as he swung back, I shot by him.
Mad-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:11 AM   #14
Triple_A

about a year and 1/2 ago i took my fiance to Chinese restaurant and parked next to a FORD Expedition, and before i got out of my car i even thought that maybe i should move it cuz i didnt want anything to happen to my TI. well when i got out of the place someone apparently had pissed on the driver's side and spit on the window accordingly. i still to this day haven't mentioned it to my girl but it is one of the many reasons i dislike the southside of chicago other then the white sox. it seems that its always the " your an American - buy American" crowd that gets this way.

although i also got my 88 Ford Taurus ( i had no choice but to drive it at the time) egged at a NIN concert soo who knows? * shrugs *
Triple_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:40 PM   #15
tiFreak

Vehicles

I parked in a parking lot right across from an empty Chevy Suburban, while me and my friends were sitting there getting ready to go in the owners of the Suburban came out, got in, and just sat there for a while, I walked into the store with my friends after 5 minutes or so.

while in the store, we were standing in front of the window, the Suburban drives by with two people hanging out the windows, smiling and waving at us, around this time, I get the feeling they've done something stupid to my car

as I'm leaving, me and my friends find glazed donuts wedged under both of my door handles I'm not too mad about since I was worried they had keyed my car so by comparison, the donuts wasn't that bad, but, just by chance I happened to see across the parking lot, the same Suburban, with the people walking towards it, me and my friends hopped in the car really quick, I peeled out down the entire parking lot, and passing within a foot of the Suburbans very overweight female driver, I screamed out the window "YOU F*CKING FAT B*TCH!!!!!" as loud as I could and sped off I only wish I had kept the donuts so I could have thrown them at her
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote