318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > I'm thinking about buying a ti.

Notices

I'm thinking about buying a ti. Ask all your questions about the possible purchase of a ti. Keep in mind, we are biased.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
Yesterday 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,308,198 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 405,147 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #16
vapb400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji Money View Post
Hey I just saw this today. Looks real nice. I would have bought this if I lived closer.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...241372268.html

Just got back from testing that one. When we got there the battery was drained (whoever drove it Friday night supposedly left the lights on). After 30 minutes or so we got it working. It drove pretty nice but like Den said, IT IS VERY LOUD. A little too loud for a 318 IMO, we aren't civics. He said they flashed his ECU, he brought it to the shop. Everything seemed to be in very nice condition, a little rattling around the window areas, but not bad at all.

Seems like an honest guy, I wish him luck in selling it. Havn't made my mind up as to whether or not I want it yet.

Good luck,
Old 12-06-2006, 09:15 PM   #17
zboot

I've been looking at prices for the past couple weeks and one thing that stands out to me is that these vehicles are consistently being offered at least $1k above KBB. Am I naive for expecting to be able to get a 318ti for around KBB is it that ppl are pricing their vehicles with the expectation of some wiggle from buyers?
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:20 PM   #18
zboot

Another question. I want to make an offer for this vehicle. . but I'm scared because it has a salvage title. Are there any precautions I can take to reduce my risk in this case: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=197935973
Old 12-06-2006, 09:45 PM   #19
Den

Probably difficult, but if you could obtain documentation of the reason for salvage status, sometimes it's not for such a bad reason. For example, the guy on here who blew his motor 'driving through water.'

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13195

If somebody buys that shell from the insurance co and puts a motor in it. The car will get a salvage title when registered becasue the insurance co 'totaled'(bought) it.

Even if you are able to verify a 'not so bad' reason like this, salvage title for any reason still kills resale value becasue it scares off buyers, so that car isn't worth $5,800. There are 'salvage dealers' selling M3's for $7k.
http://www.elitemotorcars.com/invent.../salvage/autos
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:49 PM   #20
zboot

Thanks a lot Den. I'm ( i guess it's to be expected since it's my first car and a pretty major purchase) a little (or maybe more) apprehensive about getting a good car. Also, I'd hate to have to hear my dad say "I told you so" over and over for the next 5 years. . lol.

I guess a starting point in negotiating with them would be around $2500. I don't think I'd be comfortable paying more than $4000 unless they have complete documentation and a great reason for the salvage title.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:42 AM   #21
zboot

I called the dealership to talk to them.

Pretty much the guy I talked to was very adamant about sticking to the price. He says that they're in no hurry to sell it and have invested more than $5800 into it. His absolute low was $5500 for it. 10 minute convo with me going at the car being salvage, KBB values, etc - wouldn't budge below $5500.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:27 AM   #22
Den

Yeah, he's invested more than $5,800 into it, but he's selling it for $5,500 because he's in the business of losing $ to furnish people like you with nice cars. Suuuuuure.

He's a dealer, Z. He's there all day every day waiting for some sucker to come in and pay his crazy asking price for a used car. It's not like when buying from a private owner who wants to get rid of the car sometime soon. Nor is it like buying from a new car dealer who wants to sell in volume because he gets 'incentives' from the factory to sell 1,ooo cars in a month or whatever. When a used car dealer sells a car, he has to replace it with another one, probably from an auction. He doesn't have a truckload of new cars coming in from the factory every week. Acquiring a car, showing it on his lot, and selling it to you is not worth it to him unless he makes a few thousand $ on the deal.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree with a salvage car from a dealer located on the opposite coast. He would have to reduce the price a LOT for it to be worth shipping cross-country.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:30 AM   #23
Den

Oh yeah, just for entertainment, what reason did he give for the salvage status?
Old 12-07-2006, 02:33 AM   #24
zboot

He said that when they bought it, they didn't know it was salvage. Apparently, he recently found out from the CA DMV. I ran a carfax on it, according to carfax, the car is perfect, title is clean, no problems. If I bought it, I'd have the Carfax guarantee thing.