318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing

Notices

Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing Discuss "organized" racing, car set-ups, driving techniques, track tips, events, driving schools, maintenance and more.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 998,711 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-03-2014, 12:35 AM   #16
uberklasse

Default I am looking through my records for the exact cage...

http://www.autopowerindustries.com/rollcages.asp
uberklasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:43 AM   #17
pdxmotorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
Quick question. I have a DOM cage on a street car and you are 100% correct about the cage becoming a deadly device without at least a helmet. Obviously I don't dive on the street with a helmet so I have very thick nerf padding on the cage. I worry since my children ride in the back where they could hit the cage nerf, as for me the cage is behind me and I have race buckets and always wear restraints since I know from experience how you can bounce all over the car, out windows, etc. if not strapped in.

Question is do you have any experience with roll cage nerf and will it lesson the danger of impacting during a crash.

I would never recover if one of my boys got killed by a stupid mistake I made with safety setup

Thanks for any knowledge you can share, John S
We always used FIA rated hard foam on the race cars. (Mandatory in most racing these days) From what I've seen it is better than the old school pipe insulation style foam. It has a harder surface layer with a softer internal composition.

My Jeep wrangler has a pad on the roll bar that uses a interesting texture foam but again the bar if further back so not sure if its way better than anything else. Its also got a sucky back seat system thats narrow enough to keep the passengers away from the bars.

The new foams they use for motorcycle body Armor are intriguing, they are very very efficient at absorbing energy, I've been looking at them as a possible liner for the head restraint of a Kirkey race seat. Just because in the sprint cars you kinda beat against the restraint and it gets pretty abusive at times..

Depending on your kids size, one option is booster seats with wings, I also considered a XS race seat for my kids but that was going to be really pricey.

I found once I started running at the track street cars were dead to me.. I just cant spend money on a car I cant push as hard as I want to like at the track. Track days are a blast and a cheap car is all that ya need. First gen RX7's , E30 BMW.. Its a drug..
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #18
Den

mmm. . .dopamine.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...ick-main_N.htm

Good info on cages, Dave.
This should be a sticky.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:53 AM   #19
Dan I

Honestly, a local race/ custom fab shop will be cheaper, lighter, better fitting- the whole 9. I had an Autopower e36 sedan bolt it. It weighed more than the 10pt custom cage I have now and fit just OK. I have less than $1800 in my custom cage- the autopower was $900 to my door. Trust me, bro- you'll be WAY happier in the long haul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S50, Sunbelt cams, Dr.Vanos, blah, blah, blah...
Dan I is offline   Reply With Quote