318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,004,511 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
mohaughn

Default H&R race springs/Koni shocks

OK.. So I've read all the posts about the benefits of different suspensions setups and I've gotten a few recommendations from other Ti and BMW owners on using the bilstein PSS9 coilover kit...

My question to the more experienced track drivers is how much better is the PSS9 for a dedicated track car than doing something like the H&R race springs with adjustable koni shocks... When I look at spec e30's or spec miates I see the H&R/koni combination is usually the way people go. If the car is 90% used for track does it matter if I can't raise the car up? I know that changing the ride height allows for different suspension setups but as a learning driver is this something that I really need to worry about?

It seems like the PSS9 is more for people that are track/street that want to be able to change ride height or ride comfort for the street. If I'm not going to go with a dedicated track coilover like the KW variant 3 or one of the custom moton setups isn't a dedicated track non-coilover combination better for the track?

I'm also planning on doing adjustable rear control arms, camber/castor adjustable shock mounts, and sway bars/sway bar reinforcements. Seems like I'll have more than enough ability to make adjustments if I can adjust toe-in, camber, castor, rebound, dampening, and tire pressure. And I'm ok with the amount of drop from the H&R race springs.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:10 PM   #2
pdxmotorhead

The main reason for the adjustability is to weight balance the car. The ride height adjustment is a "feature".

Last car I track tuned it took 3 complete sets of springs before we hit the magic spot. And that was with coil
overs.

have fun.
Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:00 AM   #3
bimmer7

Default can't get the right adjustment!

To start out, I have H&R coil overs and Bilstene Struts. I have been trying to get the car to sit even. I have finally got the front even to the millimeter (with and with out driver-passenger ex..) now I am having trouble with the back. I am pretty frustrated with it and I am coming to the conclusion that it will never set even all the way around. It's a little less than 1/2 inch difference. Any help is much appreciated!
bimmer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:40 AM   #4
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer7
To start out, I have H&R coil overs and Bilstene Struts. I have been trying to get the car to sit even. I have finally got the front even to the millimeter (with and with out driver-passenger ex..) now I am having trouble with the back. I am pretty frustrated with it and I am coming to the conclusion that it will never set even all the way around. It's a little less than 1/2 inch difference. Any help is much appreciated!
The rear suspension doesn't sit level. Somebody posted the reason why, but I don't remember what thread it was on.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:09 PM   #5
AlaskaBlue

I have heard very bad things about H&R race springs and H&R coil-overs for racing use. It boils down to the fact that the spring rates are too low and you will be riding on the bump stops the whole time.

TCK318tiSD E36 318ti Smart Design DA Coilover $2,763.00 $2,082.15 Order
That is the price for the double adjustable set up. I would be shocked if either of the kits did not offer height adjustable rear spring perches.

TCK318tiTM E36 318ti True Match S/A Coilover Kit $2,241.51 $1,552.15 Order

That is for the single adjustable.

http://www.tcklineracing.com/suspension.htm

It would definately be worth a call to TC Kline to see if the height in the rear is adjustable.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:20 PM   #6
mohaughn

Thanks for the part number. For some reason I have been on the tckline website before, but I hadn't seen the complete coilover kits. I was looking at the individual suspension pieces..

But at 2080$ that is almost 400$ more than the PSS9. I actually just found a place that has the Ti KW variant 3 for 1,779$. At 14 way adjustable I could see paying the extra money. But do you think the tckline double adjustable is worth the extra 300$?

Best price I've come up with for the PSS9 is $1,620.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:24 PM   #7
AlaskaBlue

I am not positive I have the V3s for my car I love them. I want/need to change out the progressive rate springs in the back of the car. I got my KWs for 1700 on sale.

The KWs in theory should be similar to the TC Kline double adjustables. I have heard that TC has amazing customer service and could probably answer your questions very well. I will probably end up paying 300 dollars to change my spring rates in a bit here so I think it is a draw.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:02 AM   #8
maverick

I have the TCKline TCK318tiSD E36 318ti Smart Design DA Coilover setup that should be finally going on next week. I can see from all appearances they are some premium units. Not at all like the Koni coil-over kits, much nicer and better assembled, especially the fronts. Call and talk to Pete, knows his stuff from what I can tell. I will report back once I ahve her on the road.
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:07 AM   #9
AlaskaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
I have the TCKline TCK318tiSD E36 318ti Smart Design DA Coilover setup that should be finally going on next week. I can see from all appearances they are some premium units. Not at all like the Koni coil-over kits, much nicer and better assembled, especially the fronts. Call and talk to Pete, knows his stuff from what I can tell. I will report back once I ahve her on the road.
That is great. I await to hear your impressions on them. Do you plan on tracking or autocrossing your car? That would be about the only way you can really get a feel for how good you suspension is.

The main question, though, is do you have adjustable spring perches on the rear?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:08 AM   #10
m3outtanowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer7 View Post
I have the SAME exact setup. My advice is to get a camber kit and offset bushings. That is the only diff. i have but mine sits right!
Old 09-01-2006, 02:38 AM   #11
AlaskaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3outtanowhere View Post
I have the SAME exact setup. My advice is to get a camber kit and offset bushings. That is the only diff. i have but mine sits right!
That doesn't add up. A camber kit for the rear does not affect side to side ride height. The problem he is having seems like he can adjust both rear spring adjusters on the rear to be the same height. The only way to get the car perfect would be corner weight it.