318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 96,579 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 59,586 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 56,913 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 131,957 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
DJdistructionmia305

Exclamation My 318ti has problems. Soon REMOVE ALTERNATOR DIY

1996 BMW 318ti..... Panther edition? Soooooo.... Let me start off by introducing myself. My name is Alessandro, people call me dro. Please feel free to reply with anything that needs to be said. Well, I got my 318ti about 6 months ago when I traded it for my not so appealing 91' Mazda Miata (yuckkk), and its been fairly well to me and I love it but its slowly been giving me some problems. (BTW this website is the BEST thing that was ever invented) So far I have had a overheating problem (which I live in Florida and I am currently running without a thermostat) with the fan not working because of the low speed not working but I rigged it to always stay on and the radiator blowing, which I will definitely post pictures on that replacement in the morning. And Now I am having an alternator problem.... I think. I mean, I'm no rocket scientist but I'm no retard neither. TODAY I finally registered as a user on this website because I come forth FINALLY with a DIY PICTURE BY PICTURE ON HOW TO REMOVE THE ALTERNATOR! Since I only found one which is poor and isn't even the actual alternator DIY project. BTW. Kudos to cooljess76 the man has knowledge.S SOOOOOOooooo My 318ti was acting a little funny kinda like it wanted to die. But then it kinda went back to normal and didn't think twice(this was about 2 weeks ago) So I made it home no problem the next day I go to turn my car on and no problem but I saw the little battery light on the instrument panel lite up but dim. I made it to my friends house and just thought my battery may be dying. When I tried to leave from my friends house my car would not start and I would only get a TICK TICK TICK TICK noise and I tried to start her up. Nothing, as if the battery was dead. I asked my friend for a jump and it started up fine but it was at a rough idle. when I took off the jumper cables instrument cluster got dim and idle got worse almost like it wanted to die. I tried to take and when I did the car suddenly started to behave like had NO power what so ever but it would barely stay on. I would give it gas and it would go veryyyy slowww. I made it to my house, which was down the block, and turned it off. Would not start back up. Took the battery to advanced auto and they told me the battery was bad. I bought a brand new battery and put it in my car but when I started it up the idle was still horrible. I then took the car to advanced (thank god advanced is on the corner) and the connected their machine up to my battery while it was connected to the car and ran a test. They told me ALTERNATOR IS BAD. BUTTTTTT the also ran a computer test the connects under the steering wheel and they also said CAM SHAFT POSITIONING SENSOR. TALK ABOUT A BAD WEEK. NOT TO MENTION MY CAR HAS BEEN LAGGING A BIT. It doesn't feel like its pushing the power it should be, but that could be due to either fuel injectors? oxygen sensor? Distributor? gas filter? So I go home and decide **** I should check the spark plugs.... #2 has a little oil inside..... GREATTTT!!!!!! I clean out the oil... It might be coming from the gasket seal on the valve cover. I replace spark plugs. advance gave me the bosch platinum +2 I need help big time. It doesn't help that I lost my job..... Today, well technically yesterday because its already 3:00 AM There are a bunch of shops near by that repair alternators so I am thinking of taking out my alternator and taking it to them to repair it. But I need some advice. Please help a fellow 318ti'r. THANK YOU in advance. hope to speak to you all soon P.s PANTHER EDITION?? LOL I find it funny how I researched panther edition and nothing came up except for range rover having a panther edition in 1996 when BMW bought out land rover. I guess the guy who gave me my 318ti had decided "hey why not take the emblem off the range and put it on the 318. ****... lets put the seats in there too" WTF help please
DJdistructionmia305 is offline   Reply With Quote