318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 103,658 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 66,679 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 63,924 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-03-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
DocDuvi

Default Help: Gas smell inside car!

ok well my problem is everytime my car is sitting for a day or two next time i start it i get a horrible gasoline smell inside the car it even worse out side!!

so what can this be!!?

i am going to change my fuel filter ASAP but that all i can think if any ideas?
DocDuvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Hey Doc, it could be an evap leak. I get code P0442 every now and then which is Evaporative System Small Leak Detected. Since you could smell it outside the car, I'd check fill neck on the gas tank and possibly the expansion/overflow tank. I haven't gotten around to looking at mine, the gas cap seems fine which normally triggers that particular code, but I'm going to remove the rear interior panel and take a peek anyway. The rubber boot inside of the fuel door pulls right out and you could shine a light down there, but it's a pretty tight space and you won't be able to really see anything unless you know what you're looking for. Try this, let it sit for a while, long enough for the vapors to accumulate. Then open the fuel door and pull that boot out. If you smell a really strong odor, you'll know where your leak is. The only other way to test the evap system is to hook up a smoke machine and follow the lines until you detect a leak and sometimes even that doesn't work for detecting really small ones. People might mention the charcoal canister, but I've yet to actually hear of one of those failing. If everything is working properly, the charcoal canister should last forever. How's your gas mileage? Have you recently noticed any changes? Usually a fuel leak could easily be found by tracing the lines under the car and looking for wet areas. I'm pretty sure that most of the evap system lines are blue plastic lines. They don't actually transport fuel, just the vapors. IIRC our charcoal canister is inside the car on the left rear. Maybe under the interior panel or rear seat. Anyway, best of luck to you. Let us know what you find.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
cooljess76

I just noticed, is it only when you try to start the car or do you notice it when you walk up to it and get inside? Here's how the system works. Your fuel tank produces vapors. When the engine isn't running, those vapors are collected in the charcoal canister. When you first start the car, those vapors are purged to be burnt off by the cat. The secondary air pump then pumps air for the fist 30 seconds or so to help compensate for the rich condition caused by the vapor purging. Check all of those lines. From the secondary air pump to the cat. Also look at all of the vaccume lines and hoses connected to your intake. Hope that helps.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:05 AM   #4
cossieturbo

Hey mate. just posted this info. Behind the interior back seat, passenger side, side panel, under the side window is an array of vapor hoses and a pressure chamber. These start to leak vapor into the interior. A very common issue on 318ti's based mostly on year not mileage. I mean COMMON! I will be changing everything in there as I can not figure out where it is coming form specifically. All the best.

cossieturbo
cossieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:21 AM   #5
Bluebimma

Another problem that ive had, as well as another ti owner with the m44 is that there is a fuel smell while driving and on start up. It happens to be the fuel lines that that go into the fuel rail. There are supposed to be 2 rubber o-rings that sit around the in and out-let lines and give a proper seal into the rail. They degrade or dislodge somehow causing a very minute gas leak. Its enough to cause an odor, but not explosions or harm.

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:51 AM   #6
cooljess76

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebimma View Post
Another problem that ive had, as well as another ti owner with the m44 is that there is a fuel smell while driving and on start up. It happens to be the fuel lines that that go into the fuel rail. There are supposed to be 2 rubber o-rings that sit around the in and out-let lines and give a proper seal into the rail. They degrade or dislodge somehow causing a very minute gas leak. Its enough to cause an odor, but not explosions or harm.
Makes perfect sense. If he only smells it on start up and after sitting for a couple of days, also the fuel rail is in the direct upstream air path of the cabin filters. While those things might reduce pollen and faint engine odors, they most definitely can't block fuel vapors. Good call Tony, I'm putting my money on that.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
Bloodrunsdry

stupid o-rings!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:42 AM   #8
Kaliimc

Thumbs up

oohh, something else to check, thanks!
Kaliimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #9
DocDuvi

well I also found out that the fuel sender O-ring degrade to and its under the rear seats and that normally causes gas smell so check that one out to !

my gas mileage is not that bad I get about 25MPG city and 30 Highway
DocDuvi is offline   Reply With Quote