318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 992,038 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-04-2015, 12:04 AM   #1
mobius

Default How many are left?

I've seen a few wrecked ti's lately and some in shacked condition but recoverable. I got to thinking of the 30k through the years that were sent to the US how many do you think are left? Something to worry about in the future?
mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:24 AM   #2
teetime4one

Vehicles

They get wrecked on a regular basis for several reasons. The reason that stands out in my mind being that young boys/men purchase them because they are cheap. Cheap cars are treated like $h!t most often. Cheap cars are rarely seen as a good investment for sinking a ton of money and time into. Thus, getting wrecked by young dudes who simply do not care.
Good observation. The numbers are dwindling.

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:42 AM   #3
mobius

Default How many left?

Yea that is so true. Cheap cars get treated like crap. Although in this case the production numbers aren't there for it to be ok (think Toyota Corolla or Camry who cares about those). I've got two now. Both were heaps. The avuz blue '97 I have is getting the engine swap treatment. It wasn't a rust box but the idiot PO before me did it no good. I've finally got the (probably walmart brand) adhesive "carbon fiber" body parts such as useless skirt scoops off the car. What a pain though and for two of them it's ruined the paint. I'm going to repaint the entire car in the original color though. I've got the air and gun setup finally to do it. The other one I saved just recently from the junkyard was a 1995 hellrot red clubsport. The interior is trashed, the previous owner ran it into the ground. I saw it for $400 and had to take it. It needs a complete diff rebuild as he ran it with no fluid. He told me the plug got over tightened and then he never bothered with it. It looks to me the threads where stripped and plug fell out, draining the diff. I had to take it back to my place on a trailer. Good thing I live alone because I've got a parts m3 convertible (long story but rust got the best of it and it would have to be a complete restore on one of those rotissoree type things so the parts are going to the avus blue ti I have), two Ti's thus far, a 325xi sedan, and a x5.

I just don't get it though. People are dumb I guess is all that needs to be said. Honestly if I ever struck the lottery, I'd probably be content to buy and restore complete wrecks to keep them on the road. That wouldn't be work to me. One can wish.

Last edited by mobius; 06-04-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:15 AM   #4
teetime4one

Vehicles

I have a need for another car as well. It's tough to see these cars get beat to crap by people.

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
joe1602

Vehicles

I sold my first ti to a teenager about 4 years ago. Within 1 year he had wrecked the car and messed up the front bumper. While he owned it the vehicle deteriorated over the past 4 years. The kid is the son of a guy I work with and he has the car now. He is my age and is into unusual cars so there may be hope for it yet. I agree, there are very few around anymore and it make me glad to know I still have one of the most desirable ones. (99 M 5-speed cali top). My neighbor has one of the few 1M coupes and my son continues to say that our ti is more excusive than his 1M (not more valuable but more exclusive!) I wish I could get another one but with 7 in the driveway right now, I don't think I can get it past the wife! (She hates that car anyway!)
joe1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #6
BRADESTAR

Vehicles

About a year ago there was an M-sport for sale on here in Seattle, may have been one owner. It was in great shape and sold quick.

The next week I went to Tacoma to grab parts off of it. The young man had wrecked it within the first night of ownership. Totaled.

I think that kids now-a-days aren't familiar with RWD and get in trouble, even with these under powered rigs.

There are still plenty out there, but those one or two owner non-messed with ones are getting a lot harder to come by.
BRADESTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
mobius

Yea. I haven't seen a one owner example in a year. The last one I saw was purchased in 95 by the original owner. It was a Black clubsport in Boston area with 15k miles. I went immediately, left work taking the rest of the day off and I was calling the guy a couple times. It was mint. For the price he was asking I didn't have the cash on hand so I told him I would go get it. I came back and he had sold it to the next guy that had cash in hand and 2k above the list price. I was like dang it.

I totally agree though about the handling. I grew up with rwd cars or trucks so I've never known a difference but if you come from fwd it's a lot different.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:04 PM   #8
archamond5

I agree that most teenagers that get these cars don't respect them and don't treat them right in general. Though I think that's true for most vehicles that they buy. And I say this be a 21 year old guy that bought one as a teen. It's still in good shape and getting better as it's getting a repaint. I think part of the problem is most kids these days don't have any appreciation for the value of things or any sense of responsibility. Just my $0.02.
archamond5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #9
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by archamond5 View Post
I think part of the problem is most kids these days don't have any appreciation for the value of things or any sense of responsibility.
IMO, in most cases that's the fault of the parent for GIVING the child a car. If the child had to work to earn the money to buy a car, they'd definitely treat the car better, or at least appreciate the value of it.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #10
BlackBMWs

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
IMO, in most cases that's the fault of the parent for GIVING the child a car. If the child had to work to earn the money to buy a car, they'd definitely treat the car better, or at least appreciate the value of it.
^ +100.

Although I am guilty of this......

I do have him repair any damage he does tho... I'm fortunate to have lotsa spare parts...

1998 318ti Sport - "Cali" Schwartz II/Schwartz sport interior, Cali top
1998 318ti Sport - "Max" Schwartz II/Schwartz sport interior, S52
1997 318ti Sport - "Tiny" Schwartz II/Schwartz sport interior
1995 318ti Active - "Blanca" Alpineweib III/Schwartz leather interior

Other Current Bimmers: 2006 530i / 2000 2.3L Z3 / 1997 1.9L Z3 / 1999 540it

1997 318ti Sport - "Huera" - RIP
1995 318ti Active - RIP
1995 318ti Sport - "Tiny" Sold
1994 325i Sedan - "Jade" - Sold
1991 318ic - "Bert" - Sold
1985 635csi sold
1984 533i "Max" Sold
1984 318i sold

BMWCCA #160411

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
BlackBMWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #11
mobius

Agreed road rash. I was brought up by a air force colonel my dad and my grandfather a retired two star army general. I had a good childhood but in my teens and later if I wanted something more than the basics I was told to work for it. It wasn't that my family wasn't well off its just my parents didn't want me and my brother and sister to take anything for granted. Plus it helps that my grandfather got me started in cars and instilled in me the importance of valuing things. A lot of kids get handed stuff with nothing more. I've worked hard and smart for everything I have.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:49 PM   #12
jca

There are certainly noticeably few ti's out there for sale than when I picked mine up about five years ago. Back then autotrader might have as many as 40 on their site; today 20 is a large number, and the average condition of the cars has declined. I would have preferred a sport model, but bought a base model instead for its low miles, well maintained condition, one owner status and good price. It has most of the sport pieces now, and I had fun parts chasing. Fifty thousand mile later I am still very happy with the car. My advice: buy the best example that you can afford. Cheers, John
jca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #13
TobyB

I bought mine wrecked- another reason they go is that a relatively minor fender- bender writes 'em off. Mine was too old and 'valueless' to even get a salvage title.
A couple hundred worth of sedan parts, and it's back on the road.
t
TobyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:13 AM   #14
mobius

That's true. Not that I need another reason for it but I'm almost feeling like I should buy up cheap ones when I see them. When they sell around New England if hasn't been anymore than 4k for a pristine example and the ones needing work 2k or under. Between getting in accidents and stupid owners I feel like they'll be disappearing quick in the next decade or two. I plan on keeping the two I have especially the hellrot clubsport forever and pass it on to my kids who'll hopefully appreciate it when I have them someday.

Last edited by mobius; 07-17-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:06 PM   #15
UberWagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
I think you're generalizing. My parents bought me one when I was 16 in 2008. I still have the car because I baby it, it's pristine. Got me through high school and college/intern'ing. Bought it with 120k and I now have 231k on it. I did have to replace the headgasket, among many other maintenance items, but I appreciate my car. (I also got run off the interstate by a semi truck a few months back, however, and luckily just dented up the front of my door and fender. I wasn't at fault.) Looking for an Alpine white passenger side door and fender if anybody has one .

-'98 318ti
-'87 VW Scirocco, 2.0 Motronic swap
-'95 VW Cabrio
UberWagen is offline   Reply With Quote