318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > 1 series

Notices

1 series Discussion of the 128i and 135i.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 992,868 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-13-2008, 06:39 AM   #31
Borg561

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
there is never a need to go over 100 miles an hour on a road with other drivers on it unless it is a track! END OF STORY!
So if you were on an unrestricted part of the Autobahn in an M6 that had the top speed limiter removed, you wouldn't be tempted to dip into triple digit speeds or try to max the car out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
they were putting other peoples lifes in danger..
No argument from me there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1225 View Post
And plus, it's on a straight away, so I don't want to hear anyone complaining that they are putting other peoples life in danger. What are the chances that they would get into a wreck? If you are unable to keep the steering wheel in a straight direction, then you might want to think about getting a lambo, regardless of your budget.
It's not just about keeping the steering wheel straight. What if an animal runs out into the road, or one of the tires blows out? I'm pretty sure keeping a car straight is a lot harder after a blowout at 125mph than it is at 70-80mph.

From the looks of traffic, I will say it was stupid to be doing that. Doing something like that you also run the risk of getting pulled over. Been there, done that (at those speeds).

Was it staged? Hard to say. One thing we need to remember is they were doing rolling starts. If you ever look at a comparison test in some of the major auto magazines, you'll sometimes notice that the fastest car 0-60 is not always the fastest 5-60 or 25-60. Gearing plays a big part.

Justin
Borg561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:56 AM   #32
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
Proceed is way to agressive of a tune.. And it's not really a tuner at that, just a piggy back... It is not making any changes to the computer management itself, rather it is just faking signals to the computer... It instantly voids the warranty on the engine, all drive components, and all emissions components... Not to mention that the drive shafts and differentials on the 335 can't handle the extra power... I know people say these things are rock solid now with the extra oil cooler, but that is just not the case when you are running the really aggressive tunes out there.
Okay, it uses a piggy-back box instead of reprogramming the ECU. I have no idea of the merit of the product or the wimpiness of modern BMW drivelines. I was just pointing out that, longevity aside, miraculous power gains are possible when dealing with boost, and the 135 in the video has more than just exhaust and intake mods.

IMO, the factory tuning of 8.5 psi for 300 hp / 300 lb-ft from a 3.0-liter turbo is pretty conservative. If the tuning is due to inability of the driveline to handle more torque, well, that just seems weak compared to the robust nature of old-school BMW hardware.

These guys are running ~50% more torque on stock E28 drivelines, and the E28 is ~300 lbs lighter than the E90. Weaker drivelines on bigger, heavier cars? Technical progress?

http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com...5i_Stage_2.php
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #33
thesk8nmidget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg561 View Post
So if you were on an unrestricted part of the Autobahn in an M6 that had the top speed limiter removed, you wouldn't be tempted to dip into triple digit speeds or try to max the car out?

not going to get into a huge discussion but the autobahn has drivers that are considerate of the fast drivers and know to get out of the way. its still unsafe but i dont know if i could resist trying it out but i would rather find one of the old country roads without a speed limit before i went and put others lives in danger
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #34
mohaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Okay, it uses a piggy-back box instead of reprogramming the ECU. I have no idea of the merit of the product or the wimpiness of modern BMW drivelines. I was just pointing out that, longevity aside, miraculous power gains are possible when dealing with boost, and the 135 in the video has more than just exhaust and intake mods.

IMO, the factory tuning of 8.5 psi for 300 hp / 300 lb-ft from a 3.0-liter turbo is pretty conservative. If the tuning is due to inability of the driveline to handle more torque, well, that just seems weak compared to the robust nature of old-school BMW hardware.

These guys are running ~50% more torque on stock E28 drivelines, and the E28 is ~300 lbs lighter than the E90. Weaker drivelines on bigger, heavier cars? Technical progress?

http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com...5i_Stage_2.php
I think it is just like tuning any car. If you do something that adds an extra 100 hp, you should expect to have to upgrade other parts of the car to keep up with the extra power. If you are doing a lot of hard launches or drifting with all of that extra power, combined with really sticky tires I'd expect things to break.

I think they are amazing cars, and the tune may be conservative, but it is not a sports car... Dinan seems to make a big difference between their ECU tune, and the piggy-backs out there. Whether dinan is full of it, I don't know, I don't know enough about how those things really work.

But you know.. considering how unreliable some Lambo's can be, the agressively tuned BMW is probably still more reliable..
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:44 PM   #35
Phamster

Vehicles

Those 135 is not slow, I test drove one before and it hangs with the new M3's.

1997 Boser 328Ti Finish Product: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...821478&page=12
1997 Boser 328Ti Re-do Project: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1435603
http://www.bmwmofo.com/
Phamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:14 AM   #36
larryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phamster View Post
Those 135 is not slow, I test drove one before and it hangs with the new M3's.

I chipped mine (piggyback), and it's insane now. Darned fun car.
larryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:37 AM   #37
Borg561

Dammit, you guys are making the suspense that much worse! Finally going to drive the 135i in two weeks when the Komen drive stops through.

Justin
Borg561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:39 AM   #38
ChItalian1027

Vehicles

regardless if u do drive that fast in a vastly populated area ur putting other drivers at risk and ur self at risk.

if u want to drive fast go right ahead we won't feel sympathy for you if ur on the 10 o'clock news.

that 135 is so beastly.

WTB: HELLROT RED CLUB SPORT

95 ti sold but staying in the family.
ChItalian1027 is offline   Reply With Quote