318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 103,985 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 67,018 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 64,322 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-25-2003, 07:43 AM   #1
tipsyaj

I just bought some chrome rings for the instrument cluster. I need to know what you guys would suggest first of all, for the adhesive. It doesn't come with anything, but I was told superglue was fine. Does anyone have any other suggestions, I don't wanna make any mistakes with this, especially since I'm going to have to do it myself. I was also wondering whether anyone has a link or could show me how I can remove the instrument cluster panel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Amy
tipsyaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 05:16 PM   #2
J!m

Vehicles

Removing the cluster is fairly easy. I see you are a student. If you are an engineering student, then this will be no problem at all.

There are two ways to do it. First way, is the 'right' way, where you disconnect the battery's ground cable, remove the air-bag (but don't let it drop, as it's 'hard-wired' to the wheel), remove the wheel (you don't need a puller to remove it, just remove the center nut and pull), if you are good at balancing stuff, you then remove the top two TORX screws in the cluster and pull it out. Then remove the three connectors on the back side (small hands are a big plus for this job), and pull it out completely. Try not to loose the connectors in the dash.

Do what you have to do to the cluster, and re-install in reverse order.

If you are not good at balancing things, you will also need to remove the plastic cover from the bottom of the steering column and un-plug the horn and air-bag connections, and feed them out. then you can set the wheel and air-bag aside.

The other way is the 'wrong' way, but it's much faster. I would still un-hook the battery, but then just jump right to the removing TORX screrws from cluster, and pull the cluster into the wheel. (sorry, it won't come out this way) THEN, unhook the wires from the back, and while keeping it in the wheel, signal for a left turn, turn the wheel and cluster together, and you can JUST sneak it out on the left if you are patient and careful.

One thing to do FIRST: apply some masking tape to the plastic around the cluster area. This is MEGA important if you use the 'wrong' way. OR, you will scratch the hell out of all that plastic.

Have fun!

PS I would recommend 'gel' type super glue. This way, it won't run all over the place. If you glue your fingers together, acetone works perfectly to remove it, BUT don't forget to wash and apply hand cream after, or you will have sand-paper hands...
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:14 PM   #3
96cali

Having used a lot of superglue in my day i would say practice first with similar materials if you can. Any mistake and you will be looking at it for quite a while every time you drive. Also go to a hobby shop near you and get a thicker viscosity variety (per J!M's suggestion) like "gap filling" kind.

And here's a little tip for some OTHER job...baking soda makes a good filler and strengthener for superglue joints. We used it all the time in design school making models. Fill a joint with a little soda, lay in the glue and sprinkle some more on the joint. It's been a while but i think it acts as an accelerator (kicker) too.
96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 04:58 AM   #4
fourbanger

something about putting soda on joints just seems wrong.

j/k

sorry for getting off topic. :P
Old 04-27-2003, 05:19 PM   #5
96cali

Old 04-27-2003, 10:45 PM   #6
tipsyaj

The cluster has been removed and I just finished installing the rings a couple of hours ago ... WHEW ! This was a tough one, I don't know sh*t about this kind of stuff and I was really scared I was gonna make a mistake .... I taped up the instrument cluster (Thanks J!M) and I just finished placing the rings on, I ended up going with a gel like superglue (Thanks again J!M, 96 Cali) that I applied with a really small paintbrush, and I used a hair dryer afterwards to make sure the adhesive got all around ... I gotta say, it looks really good, a definite improvement in appearence, and it only cost me $42 for the whole install. I'm thinking if I can do this, maybe I can install some racing pedals and a new shift knob...

I showed my boyfriend a couple of minutes ago and he was like "Who knew a girl could take out an instrument cluster, damn" ... gotta say it felt really good to do this all by myself .. Props to me ! lol
Old 04-27-2003, 11:37 PM   #7
96cali

Congrats aj...on the short shifter I plan on heading down to 95bimmer in Columbus one of these weekends. He sells $75 SSK's for the ti on ebay and is very reputable and knowledgable. I trust him entirely. If you didn't feel like driving down there at least you would know the source and any probs and he's not far away. Hey if both of us go down then we'd have 3 ti's with the cali roof together. How often does that happen? :P

BTW where did you get your dash rings? They are on my list too.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:35 AM   #8
tipsyaj

well my car's an automatic (sorry to say ...) , from what I've seen there aren't that many choices ... I was either going to go for the MOMO auto shift lever which doesn't look that nice in my opinion, or this one I've seen in the BMW accessories catalog, it's a pistol grip with chrom inlay, if that place in Columbus has any automatic knobs, lemme know ... the rings I got on ebay, I'll attach the link. They were only $25 w/shipping, not a bad price in my opinion, but it looks like the seller has raised the price, I guess he realized there aren't that many people that sell them on ebay ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2412796661
Old 04-29-2003, 04:04 AM   #9
96cali

I wondered how those were.. I emailed him asking who the manufacturer was and he responded "a skilled craftsman in Germany who sells a lot of parts" or something like that! Probably him or his brother, cousin, etc.

Some other people on bimmerforums bought flexible plastic ones and had trouble getting them in place and still "round". For $29 and stainless steel, hard to beat. I have a chrome ring shifter from www.nikis-place.com on order and some chrome Z3 interior door pulls to ad. Chris Bethel in Columbus (bimmer95) has a website at www.understeer.com.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:42 AM   #10
tipsyaj

wow ... I took a look at that nikisplace website ... I have just added so many things to my list ... I'm really excited, they've got a bunch of little mods that I've been looking to do, YEAH !!! ... I found out about www.understeer.com last week, I'm so pissed I didn't find out about that event they had on the 19th ... I definitely would have gone. That page they have on the ti, Lisa's 318ti .. that's one nice ti. I wish I had the $$ to do the mods she did ... but anyways ... I'm content with what I'm planning ...

Thanks for that site, I just found another distraction !
Old 02-09-2005, 07:58 PM   #11
bluebastion

Got the cluster out, but now I'm dumbfounded as to how to install the rings!!... I removed the bulb/computer housing... but the gauges are in the way... any way to access the areab in between the "glass" and gauge faces?
bluebastion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:57 PM   #12
bluebastion

Finally figured out how to take the gauge housing off the frick'n glass thing... stupid white turny thingies (I'm sure the only technical name for these are in german). Anyways... installed my carbon fiber bezel cover and chrome rings... looks AWESOME. However having a hard time putting the cluster back in behind the frick'n wheel. hehe..er... hmmm

have a nice day.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #13
PettitWC

If you get a chance could you post pictures of what it looks like now?

thanks, Chris

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:35 PM   #14
bluebastion

No problem... I noticed the National Defense ribbon... what branch? I'm in the Air Guard (Air National Guard... Air Force Guard... whateva you want to call it)... The National Defense Ribbon and Basic are the only ones I have. Will send pic as soon as I take one. Right now it's raining so not a good idea since it's pretty dark outside.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:20 AM   #15
bluebastion

Here you go with the pic... better late than never.