318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Knowledge Base

Notices

Knowledge Base How to articles and things explained.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Comments, 95,369 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Comments, 58,256 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Comments, 55,739 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Comments, 130,531 Views
Comment Share/Bookmark

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
DIY 318ti blower motor replacement.
DIY 318ti blower motor replacement.
Published by amancuso
07-03-2009
Default DIY 318ti blower motor replacement.

OK There are ZERO tutorials for this so i thought I would put one together.
Basically follow the steps for the microfilter replacement which can be found here: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7836

The next step is to remove the battery and battery box. There are 2 13mm bolts that are clearly visible at the bottom of the box, remove those.
Next you need to remove the foam insulation that is on the firewall, there are 3 push rivets there that should be easily removable with a screwdriver. Once you have that foam insulation off, there are 4 phillips screws that hold on the wire channel. remove the 4 screws, they are captive so don't take them out fully. Once they are out you can move the wire channel out of the way to give you some more room to remove the blower housing and blower.

Battery box, foam insulator, and wire channel moved out of way:

3 Views of blower cover housing:

Tutorial Tools

By amancuso on 07-03-2009, 01:11 PM

* When you read the microfilter replacement guide, the OP says:
"The service manual says to remove the two microfilters, frames and all. I found it easier to leave the frames in place."

I removed these frames because it is easier to reach the 4 t-20 screws that hold the blower housing cover in place. There is one in what is more or less each corner.
Once you have the 4 screws removed you can juggle the cover around to remove the 3 clips that hold the 2 sections together with a screwdriver.

Blower cover housing showing clips:

When you have the cover separated it comes out in 2 parts, and they can be jiggled out on the right hand (passenger) side of the car (unless you are in the UK, Japan, NZ or AUS)

Once the cover is off and out, remove the electric connections and use a pair of pliers or whatever is handy to pop the clip up that holds the blower in place:

*this pic is borrowed from http://www.sqbimmer.com/dump/e36_blower_motor/ The clip is the exact same one in the 318ti.

Now install is the reverse of removal!

Hope this helps everyone!
By sfigueroa on 03-20-2012, 06:59 PM

Is there a way to test the blower motor. My blower had been intermitily working then stopped completely any ideas what it coukd be? I have already replaced the blower resistor. 1996 318ti
By aznlonewolf135 on 03-20-2012, 11:40 PM

whenever I buy used electrical components I always try to hook them up directly to a power source...if I am buying a used car stereo I always hook it up directly to the car battery and one of the speaker out puts

could you take the blower out and hook it up directly to your battery
By turbodude on 01-19-2015, 04:08 PM
Default Replacing mine today

I'm replacing my blower motor and resistor. I've got a 40+ degree day in January here in New England and need my heat back.

It all started with intermittent performance on the various speeds. I tried lubing the motor from the passenger side, but that, for some odd reason, led to blowing the fuse when switched to position four. Not long after the blower stopped altogether. I tried replacing just the resistor, but the the fuse would still blow in position four--and I think I fried the new resistor. So, a new motor, resistor and relay are going in. I'll be really pissed if, in the end, it was the switch in the dash.

I'll report back once I'm done...
By turbodude on 01-20-2015, 03:50 AM
Default The Job Is Done

I've got my heat back, though things didn't go as planned (but in a good way). I got everything torn down and realized that my replacement motor didn't fit the ti so it will be going back. I tested the motor and realized it still worked. I think my lube job a few weeks back got onto the electrical parts of the motor, caused the fuse to blow and fried the resistor. I cleaned out the innards of the motor with electrical cleaner and hooked it back up to the battery to test. Success--no more burning or running funny. Reinstalled everything and I have heat again!

A few comments regarding the original post instructions:
1) It's not necessary to take the top cover off the wiring harness.
2) Removing the battery box made all the difference in the world in gaining access to the heater motor cover. Everything can be removed via the space created on the passenger side. Break everything down and remove one piece at a time (filters, filter frames, blower cover clips, blower cover, blower). The upper torx screws are the hardest to get at. I ended up using a flex extension for my ratcheting screw driver.
3) There is only ONE squirel cage on the ti blower motor. The last pic is from another e36. I missed this the first time around and led to my buying the wrong motor.
Comment