318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Transmission

Notices

Transmission Automatic, manual and shift lever discussions.

» Recent Threads
Handsome gays boys from...
Today 12:47 AM
Last post by ceoshank88
Today 12:47 AM
0 Replies, 33 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,311,111 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-01-2004, 10:49 PM   #1
GDB

Default Stock M3 Flywheel in a ti????

I doubt this has been done, but I was wondering if it is possible to fit the stock M3 clutch and flywheel into a ti. I need a new clutch, but I can't afford to go with a lightweight flywheel right now but I can get a really good deal on the stock M3 setup and just wanted to verify that it would work. Thanks.

-Matt
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:34 PM   #2
NEKO

Im replacing my clutch this saturday with the Sachs clutch kit from Bavarian Autosport.

I wanted to put a lightweight Flywheel in mine too but figured that its not really needed since my ti is an everyday driver. Im going to use the original flywheel with the new kit.

Im not sure if you can use the M3 flywheel on the ti. I'd be interested to find that out too.
NEKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:20 AM   #3
GDB

I dont' see any reason that it wouldn't work, but you never know with bimmers.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:43 AM   #4
J!m

Vehicles

I don't see any advantage to using the M3 flywheel. I expect it is at least as heavy as the stock ti wheel, if not more so.

The M3 clutch and pressure plate may be worth using, and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it will bolt to the ti flywheel. The flywheel size is the same, so it follows that the bolt pattern for the pressure plate will be the same.

I have not tried it, so I may be wrong, but I'm guessing it will work.

Since the ti clutch never slipped on me, unless you are running boost or some other 'hop-up' I would not expect to need a different clutch from stock...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:44 AM   #5
GDB

i'm just looking into this since I can get it cheaper than a new ti clutch (it's used with ~2500 miles)
Old 11-02-2004, 09:26 AM   #6
KIRASIR

It has been done MANY, MANY times. It is also slightly lighter than the stock dual-mass ti's flywheel.

SL

PS I have a lightened M3 flywheel in mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB
I doubt this has been done, but I was wondering if it is possible to fit the stock M3 clutch and flywheel into a ti. I need a new clutch, but I can't afford to go with a lightweight flywheel right now but I can get a really good deal on the stock M3 setup and just wanted to verify that it would work. Thanks.

-Matt
Old 11-02-2004, 01:57 PM   #7
Jared

The stock M3 flywheel (at least off my '96) weighed 28 lbs. I would say definitely do not use this flywheel unless you have no other choice. I don't know what the ti's weighs, but 28 lbs seems awfully heavy to me.
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:11 PM   #8
KIRASIR

M3's stock flywheel is about 3-4 pounds lighter than the M44 one. However, the extra weight from the M3 clutch disk/pressure plate make the total weights of both clutch systems about the same.

SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared
The stock M3 flywheel (at least off my '96) weighed 28 lbs. I would say definitely do not use this flywheel unless you have no other choice. I don't know what the ti's weighs, but 28 lbs seems awfully heavy to me.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:04 AM   #9
J!m

Vehicles

I have an M3 flywheel available, if anyone wants it. It's of a '99. I used an aluminum one when I did my swap.

Old 11-04-2004, 07:46 AM   #10
Jared

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRASIR
M3's stock flywheel is about 3-4 pounds lighter than the M44 one. However, the extra weight from the M3 clutch disk/pressure plate make the total weights of both clutch systems about the same.

SL
Wow, we have heavy stock flywheels...
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 03:55 PM   #11
NEKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB
i'm just looking into this since I can get it cheaper than a new ti clutch (it's used with ~2500 miles)
Why don't you just use the original flywheel? Thats what I'm doing when I install my new clutch this weekend. You'll save some loot doing it that way.

Unless you think your original flywheel is ruined.
NEKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 07:55 PM   #12
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEKO
Why don't you just use the original flywheel? Thats what I'm doing when I install my new clutch this weekend. You'll save some loot doing it that way.

Unless you think your original flywheel is ruined.

The original flywheel is probably fine, but this is going to be about $5 cheaper after everything that just getting a new clutch kit. Plus I get a stronger clutch and a clutch that just may have some feel to it. Anyways, thanks guys. I'm going to go ahead and buy the clutch and flywheel and hopefully it will work (again, I see no reason that it wouldn't but now I can blame you guys if it doesn't )
Old 11-04-2004, 08:59 PM   #13
maurolin

My favorite mod by FAR! is the lightweight flywheel and the kevlar composite turbo clutch.
I have done the SAME mod to my 2 M3's and now my **** basket Ti which i love!.
Flywheel makes your car more responsive ans snappy! hit the gas and the RPM's are there NOW. BAAAM!
Disadvantages: Clack clack noise @ idle.. gets worse when hot and AC on... If you install a FW, you cannot have Pulleys or underdrive the Harmonic Balancer.
Recomended to Balance the Clutch plate to the Flywheel and disc.

Heavy clutches will be a pain in the ass in traffic, if you track your car, flywheel is a great thing to have, will make your car develop the RMS's quicker.

People will say" Dam, your car is Kknocking BAD! sounds like poop!... you say: "yeah I know.... wanna race?? $50?? " they ALWAYS buy it. I found that TC Klein flywheels have the LEAST knocking... and if you wonder where the sound is coming from???
THE TRANSMISSION... OEM FW are Dual mass.. rubber dampens the noise... Aluminium is single mass.
maurolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:40 PM   #14
J!m

Vehicles
Exclamation

If you are using the M3 pressure plate, you will want to replace the slave cylinder with the M3 piece as well.

This is unless you want your left leg to be larger than your right leg...

I did this when I did my swap, and there is plenty of 'feel' there.

Not being able to hold the clutch down does not make you more of a man.

Old 04-09-2005, 12:28 AM   #15
demeegod

I was driving my car the other day and my cousin who is a licensed 1/4 mile race driver told me that when racing a stick you basic rev high, dump clutch and keep your foot in the gas as you **** gears.. i tried this on the street the other day and car left great... but when shifting... the needle took forever to drop... is that simply the clutch not being able to grab on while its spinning so fast? would a stronger clutch help or were these cars simply not meant to even try this?

What would fix this.... i noticed that dropping off the gas and press again fixes this. Any ideas or advice to stepping up?

1996 318Ti, M Sport Edition, 19" ACE Alloy Monaco Rims, Adjustable Eibach Sportline Ground Control Coilover suspension, Shaved Door Kit, Xenon 8000k Ellipsoid HID upgrade, Pioneer Premier System, Charcoal Custom Metallic Gray Paintjob!

Future upgrades:
{ }E46 Front Bumper, { }Engine Dressup, { }Supersprint Muffler, { }Rogue Clutchstop, { }Armrest, { }UUC Evo Short Shift kit, { } Paint Touch ups, { } Custom Rear Bumper shave, { } M3 Clutch Replace and Aluminum Flywheel
demeegod is offline   Reply With Quote