318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,078,801 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-21-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
nigeltee

Default unstable at speed

I have a 96ti with 91k on the clock and at speed (60mph+) it feels unstable. Its as if there is a crosswind affecting the car, even on a still day.

This means it takes effort to drive the car quickly and can be unnerving when pressing on.

The car has just been MOT'd and the tester could find nothing wrong. No wear in the suspension, no visible strut or spring problems.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and knows how to fix it.

The car is standard, but did have a tow bar fitted when we bought it. I thought that maybe if it was towing a heavy caravan a lot, then maybe the dampers were knackered? The mot only tests them for rebound control.

Having owned a saloon e36 previously, that was solid as a rock at motorway speeds, it wouldn't be an aerodynamic thing with thecompact having no boot would it?

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time.

Nigel
nigeltee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
aceyx

Alignment or tire pressures (though I think they check the latter in MOT).

It certainly isn't an aerodynamic thing.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:09 PM   #3
evalha007

Could be your wheel balance. My 318ti would shake like crazy as soon as I hit 80... getting the wheels balanced fixed that right away.
Silver 98 318ti Standard trans, Sport Package: 16" Stock Wheels, Foglamps, Sunroof, Heated Leather Seats, Bilstein performance shocks, OEM Sach's clutch kit, Dunlop SP Sport A2 225/50/16 tires, Alpine CDA 7894, Dual Rockford Fosgate 12" subs, Rockford Fosgate Amp, Leather Armrest, Replaced M44 engine with only 40k on it!
http://www.geocities.com/evalha/bmwsmaller.JPG
evalha007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:28 PM   #4
3DGE

my car likes to pull to the right if i let go of the wheel. Could be tire pressure issue or maybe the brake pads are rubbing with the rotor... on one tire. 80% of my driving is over 60mph HHAHA Drives so nice
3DGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
clex2

I would look into the struts and shocks carefully. I can tell you that the rear stock shocks on the ti are notorious for going bad quickly. After putting in a set of Konis on my 318ti daily driver (not 330ti), I can tell you the stability at speed is strikingly better. Rock steady cruisung at 80+ mph and no issues up to 130. Of course, like every said before, anything in the suspension is suspect, like bushings, tires, wheels, etc. I don't think the aerodynamics are an issue with this car, unless you have some weird bodykit or wing on it.
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
clex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
pdxmotorhead

Too much toe in the rear will make a car very very twitchy.

We do it on purpose to our road race car to make it
turn in better. But its a handfull on the straights.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:55 PM   #7
nigeltee

thanks for your replies so far, i will check the pressures tomorrow. I dont think it is the wheel balancing as it doesnt vibrate at speed. I would be able to feel this through the wheel and or seat. Its the whole car moving around.

I was secretly hoping the tester would find fault with the shocks so i could get some new ones and lower it too, but it didnt fail on this.

The tester didnt say anything was wrong with any bushes, but i will talk to him again. Not having a trolley jack or stands, i cant get under the car myself and the thought of £30+/hr for investigative work, doesnt fill me with joy.

I may just have to put up with it, especially as the mortgage might be going up due to a possible move, and its harder to justify £700 + for a new suspension kit being bought and fitted. Sometimes i wish i could luck out with a deal and then be able to fit stuff myself......

I didn't really thing it would be an aerodynamic thing, it was a stab in the dark.

Clex, did you put koni shocks and springs on? whats the ride like? i had billies and eibachs on my saloon, they were great. rode well and handles even better.

Regards

Nige
Old 10-23-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
nigeltee

i could get the alignment checked and reset i spose.....
Old 10-24-2006, 01:16 AM   #9
clex2

Koni's and M-tech springs are perfect. Very well controlled, no hint of floating, sporting, but not at all uncomfortable. No one complains about Koni's, but if you search, lots of tales about ride heights getting raised with Bilsteins. Personal preference, I guess.
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
clex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:46 AM   #10
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

My guess it's the ball joints. I had a similar problem and fond out one of my ball joints was bad and at high speeds it was unstable.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:31 PM   #11
nigeltee

koni's seem to be reasonably priced. I will chat with the tester again, and see what we can come up with.

Ball joints on beemers are apparently flexible anyway. even the tester said that. One of the other bushes at the back of the wishbone(?) on the front suspension did seem to have play in it when they were checkin it.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:51 AM   #12
cosmos schwarz

unstable and wandering at speed means your rear subframe bushes need replacing, doesnt it? , i used standard bushes for replacement, as other types are a rip-off.
cosmos schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:52 PM   #13
nigeltee

i need to get the car on a ramp again. check out all the bushes thoroughly. Went out in it again yesterday, 80 on an a road and its death grip on the wheel, hoping its not gonna bite me.

Bushes themselves arent too expensive, just the labour to fit them. Will definitely go stock on the bushes.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:25 PM   #14
Mad-Machine

how old are your tyres and how much tread is left. I know my old Hyundai Tiburon (coupe' to you) would get quite darty and a handfull at highway speeds if I let the tyres get work too far below the half way mark. If I let them go to the wear indicators, the car would be near undrivable above 70mph
Mad-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:10 PM   #15
nigeltee

tyres are only 5/ 6 months old, so nearly new. it could be these, would need to look at them running on a bakancing machine to see if they are out of shape.....