318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 96,092 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 59,103 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 56,445 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 131,419 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #16
jiggerjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud9193 View Post
You didn't need spacers for the front or anything to avoid hitting the shock?
Nope, because when you use camber plates to adjust the camber the wheel stays parallel to the strut. I also have Crash bolts, but did not adjust those negative at all. I think 3.25 is plenty of camber! Those pictures are pre-alignment/crazy neg. camber. I will have to take some more pictures soo you guys can see the craziness. I'm actually going to get some spacers so I can get a wider track in the front, but they are not even close to touching the strut.
jiggerjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:43 AM   #17
projekt EPiK

Jigger...I have no spring pads or adjusting collar in the rear...low as I can go currently. Considering making extended tophats if i want to drop further, or just so that I can actually use the adjuster. the handling right now is spot on though, and I have enough problem getting the z3 on and off the trailer as it is at the height now.
projekt EPiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
jiggerjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by projekt EPiK View Post
Jigger...I have no spring pads or adjusting collar in the rear...low as I can go currently. Considering making extended tophats if i want to drop further, or just so that I can actually use the adjuster. the handling right now is spot on though, and I have enough problem getting the z3 on and off the trailer as it is at the height now.
I just re-read you first post. I forgot that you have regular e36 suspension on your z3. The struts are much longer on the regular e36, since you cut yours and screwed them all the way in you are much closer to where you need to be. Are you running the springs from a Chelsae's car also? If so that could keep you from going lower since they would be about 2 inches taller also. I have an extra set of e30 rear springs i think they are 750lbs that would do wonders for you. If I removed my adjuster my car would sit on the top of the tires, lol.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:15 AM   #19
hitchhike79

I really love hearing true use stories and positive results! Thanks much for your detailed review and vendor recommendation.
I want to start AutoX and the 318ti needs a new suspension so hmmmm this good deal almost sounds perfect!
hitchhike79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #20
Jean H.318TI

whats a good spring rate for drifting, im about to order some bc racing coils too
Old 07-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #21
projekt EPiK

Im using 10k front springs and 12k rear.
The reason im using the e36 stuff is that is what i used to have and i just transferred it.
projekt EPiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #22
jiggerjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchhike79 View Post
I really love hearing true use stories and positive results! Thanks much for your detailed review and vendor recommendation.
I want to start AutoX and the 318ti needs a new suspension so hmmmm this good deal almost sounds perfect!
Yeah, my only regret is that I waited so long to buy coilovers. I was trying so hard to find a spring strut combo that worked on a swapped TI but nothing really wow'd me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean H.318TI View Post
whats a good spring rate for drifting, im about to order some bc racing coils too
If you have a stock motor and most of your interior I would probably go 500lbs in the front and 550lbs in the rear. Some people might have different options on the matter. If you daily you might want to go a little bit low on the spring rates. The cool thing with the BC's are they are 30 way adjustable so you can really fine tune it.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #23
bullmand

Would it be appropriate for you to share the name of whomever you worked with at Circuit Motorsports? I've been trying to figure out for months what setup to use on my swapped ti and had pretty much decided to go with TC Kline. These seem like they might be a reasonable option and the price is definitely better.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #24
jiggerjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullmand View Post
Would it be appropriate for you to share the name of whomever you worked with at Circuit Motorsports? I've been trying to figure out for months what setup to use on my swapped ti and had pretty much decided to go with TC Kline. These seem like they might be a reasonable option and the price is definitely better.
No problem at all His name is Tristan. You can reach him at: sales@circuitmotorsports.net or 407-325-2176. I was considering TC Kline also, but BC racing has way more options for a lot less money. I was in the same boat a couple of months ago and could not be any happier with my decision. Make sure you tell him you have a swapped ti and get the proper front struts, I suggest m3 ones since they have the mounting tabs for the sway bar and it also comes with endlinks so it bolts right up.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:18 AM   #25
Jean H.318TI

yeah my car is strip to the bones and m42 motor turbo so yeah and i dont daily its pretty much my track toy.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #26
bullmand

Any more impressions of these to share with us at this point?
Old 09-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #27
jiggerjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullmand View Post
Any more impressions of these to share with us at this point?
So far they have been wonderful. I only did one track event and it was at the drag strip. All I can say for that is the dampening adjustments made huge improvements over the way my car hooked and launched. About 3 runs later I got it just right. I have an AutoX later this month that is when I will really be able to test them out. They are great on the street we setting them to full soft. I would be racing alot more but we just had a baby a couple of months ago.

Will update with my findings
Old 09-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #28
03whitegsr

I'm using some 17x8.5 wheels that have about 3/8" clearance between the rim and the stock strut body.

I assume these use a long enough spring that the spring will be the closest thing to the rim/tire and these will actually reduce the clearance a considerable amount? I assume I'll need a spacer to make these work or is there another option to get more clearance (positive camber from the lower strut mount some how)?
03whitegsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #29
mohaughn

Your wheels looks like the are pushed really far forward into the wheel well. Are you running M3 offset control arms with the offset bushings? That will cause the geometry to get screwy and make the wheel sit really far forward in the wheel well.

BWM never speced a car with both. You either do the standard control arms with the offset bushing, or go the other way with the later m3 control arms but a standard bushing.

The build quality does not look that bad on the BC racing coilovers. However, the difference in price between these kits and the other kits you mentioned is in the dampening and the changes that adjustments make. There is plenty of dyno plots showing the changes a Koni DA makes in comparison with the lower end coilovers. Ultimately though, it is what makes you happy for the money spent.. Enjoy..
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #30
jiggerjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
Your wheels looks like the are pushed really far forward into the wheel well. Are you running M3 offset control arms with the offset bushings? That will cause the geometry to get screwy and make the wheel sit really far forward in the wheel well.

BWM never speced a car with both. You either do the standard control arms with the offset bushing, or go the other way with the later m3 control arms but a standard bushing.

The build quality does not look that bad on the BC racing coilovers. However, the difference in price between these kits and the other kits you mentioned is in the dampening and the changes that adjustments make. There is plenty of dyno plots showing the changes a Koni DA makes in comparison with the lower end coilovers. Ultimately though, it is what makes you happy for the money spent.. Enjoy..
I'm running treehouse racing solid control arms busing and Meylee HD control arms with m3 front spindles. I think it may just be the combination of the picture and wheels, They are not even closer to touching my front bumper and were within reason when on the BMW alignment rack (we have special software and alignment pins). When I was doing my research I do remember reading about how every strut and shock is dyno'd matched as a pair and custom dampened per spring rates (not sure if this is true or not). I did find this review with a dyno graph from an NSX that is very in depth. http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159029

I have not even had a chance to track the car yet through any corners. I do have an autoX on Sept. 30th and will take alot of pictures, and then hopefully do some Hdpe's once the heat alleviates from south fla.