318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
My 318ti build
Yesterday 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
Yesterday 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 326 Views
1997 manual 318TI M...
05-13-2024 09:38 AM
Last post by angwydwagon
05-13-2024 09:38 AM
0 Replies, 1,725 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-23-2008, 02:16 AM   #76
zboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
they should be vented brakes
My old front ti rotors are vented. I thought all of them were like that (stock).
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:00 AM   #77
Philly

04/98+ Ti's use the same rotors as 96-98 328's

pre-04/98 Ti's used solid rotor setup

I could be wrong but I don't think there are any fundamental differences in the 318ti stock vented setup and the 328s setup.... I don't think you even need to touch them. Both are single piston calipers, so I can't see them having any differences at all.

328Ti

Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:35 AM   #78
thesk8nmidget

yeah i agree. not sure what the diff is from the venter 318 to 328

anyone else know?
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #79
zboot

so. . .I just spent money buying stuff I didn't need. . . *sigh*
Old 06-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #80
thesk8nmidget

well what do you think you would want for the brakes?

i may interested
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #81
zboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
well what do you think you would want for the brakes?

i may interested
pmed.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #82
Philly

sell them off and use the money for some UUC SS brake lines

328Ti

Old 06-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #83
zboot

Hmm. I'll consider it. In the meantime, I now wait for my DS1s to arrive. Just got a set of 5 rims for $400 shipped.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:14 AM   #84
zboot

BTW, here are a few pics of the hole that was blown in the side of my engine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	IMGP0368.JPG Views:	15 Size:	88.6 KB ID:	6174   Click image for larger version Name:	IMGP0369.JPG Views:	12 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	6175   Click image for larger version Name:	IMGP0370.JPG Views:	12 Size:	58.2 KB ID:	6176  

Click image for larger version Name:	IMGP0371.JPG Views:	9 Size:	121.2 KB ID:	6177  
Old 06-25-2008, 01:25 AM   #85
tiFreak

Vehicles

that's not so bad, some duct tape, a quick coat of spraypaint and you're good to go
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:48 AM   #86
zboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
that's not so bad, some duct tape, a quick coat of spraypaint and you're good to go
lol, if parts of the engine hadn't busted out of that hole as well, i might have given that a shot
Old 06-27-2008, 02:52 AM   #87
zboot

I'm so fuc*ing pissed with myself. I had an opportunity to win a m3 cluster for less than $50 and I let it slip through my hands.

This is the last time that I help someone over the phone when I'm minutes away from trying to win an auction. I can't believe I got that distracted!
Old 06-28-2008, 06:08 AM   #88
zboot

Default Updates to car

Ok, so I picked up my m52 today. There are a few issues which I'll be discussing with the seller. I think most of it can be handled relatively quickly or fixed later on.

1. No AC compressor. I'm going to have to look for one of these. I see where it's supposed to bolt up, but I'm not sure if I'm missing some sort of bracketing.
2. The fuel lines were cut. I'm guessing I can use my existing ti fuel lines. I'll need to figure out how to disconnect the 6cyl ones from the engine.
3. There seems to be some throttle part missing. See the pictures. Is this the ASC bit?
4. Post cat o2 sensors - I'm not sure I've figured out what part o the harness they connect to.
5. There are a couple hoses at the intake manifold that I'm not sure what they goto. One bolts slightly below/under the air intake port. Help! See pictures.
6. The wire harness seems to have connectors for two ECUs. Am I missing something?
7. This is minor - some hose/intake parts missing from the alternator.
8. Cooling system connection flange (the two hoses at front of engine that goto radiator) was cut on one side. (minor)
9. I haven't figured out where the fuel pressure connector is/goes.
10. There is some weird connector, not sure what it is. Looks like it is somehow related to the cooling system.
11. The seller screwed up sending me the EWS module. Its supposed to arrive early next week.

I got all of the transmission bolts out except one of the starter bolts whose head kinda broke. I'll need to get something to get that bolt out. Once that's done, I can swap in my m3 clutch and flywheel, then bolt up to engine.

I'll put the engine in, bolt up the cat, connect up as much as possible. I can buy everything except the ac compressor at a dealership on Monday. Once the EWS module arrives, I can go up to Erie and complete the install then drive the car home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	throttle.jpg Views:	128 Size:	81.5 KB ID:	6219   Click image for larger version Name:	intake1.jpg Views:	136 Size:	104.5 KB ID:	6220   Click image for larger version Name:	cool.jpg Views:	136 Size:	95.7 KB ID:	6221  

Click image for larger version Name:	weird.jpg Views:	130 Size:	94.9 KB ID:	6222  
Old 06-28-2008, 06:21 PM   #89
Philly

Quote:
]1. No AC compressor. I'm going to have to look for one of these. I see where it's supposed to bolt up, but I'm not sure if I'm missing some sort of bracketing.
2. The fuel lines were cut. I'm guessing I can use my existing ti fuel lines. I'll need to figure out how to disconnect the 6cyl ones from the engine.
3. There seems to be some throttle part missing. See the pictures. Is this the ASC bit?
4. Post cat o2 sensors - I'm not sure I've figured out what part o the harness they connect to.
5. There are a couple hoses at the intake manifold that I'm not sure what they goto. One bolts slightly below/under the air intake port. Help! See pictures.
6. The wire harness seems to have connectors for two ECUs. Am I missing something?
7. This is minor - some hose/intake parts missing from the alternator.
8. Cooling system connection flange (the two hoses at front of engine that goto radiator) was cut on one side. (minor)
9. I haven't figured out where the fuel pressure connector is/goes.
10. There is some weird connector, not sure what it is. Looks like it is somehow related to the cooling system.
11. The seller screwed up sending me the EWS module. Its supposed to arrive early next week.

1 - I have the AC compressor and bracket, if you want to pay the shipping, Ill sell you both for $50 + shipping.
2 - Im not sure about re-using the stock lines, they may not have enough length... the 328 ones don't appear to be too short, just from the pics... maybe they'll reach????
3 - Yes, your missing the ASC throttle piece that angles back out towards the front of the car... you will either have to get this or look into the "Samco ASC delete boot" which will make the same 90' and apparently increase a little HP since the flow is much smoother.
4 - if you start poking around and looking at wire colors, the post-cat o2 sensors should be red with a white tracer + yellow + brown + black and if they havn't been chopped, you should be able to tell easily. They should be coming right from the dipstick/fuel line area... along with your FPR wires which will be red w/ white tracer + yellow w/ bluish tracer.
5 - the hose with the non-return valve on the end goes to your brake booster... you can re-use your Ti without taking it off the booster at all.
The other hose if im looking at it correctly is another coolant line that runs along the drivers side frame rail, then goes under the rad to the expansion tank.
6 - on the PS of the wire harness, you should have the ECU connector, a relay that sits in the too... along with all the power wires and the 2ndary airpump connector and some grounds. On the DS of the harness you should have 3 relays which hook onto the fusebox, MAF sensor connector + 3 twist cap connectors (middle one does nothing on my car, nothing to connect it too since my diagnostic port was the middle one on the M44) and maybe a 2-3 more random connectors and the ground that is between the fusebox
7 - i have an extra "tube" that connects to the alternator that ill throw in if you want my compressor and bracket.
8 - if you were smart, you'd replace that thermostat housing with an aluminum one asap! and you obviously need some coolant hoses :P
9 - see #4.
10 - if i had to guess just from the pic, id say your missing an electric valve with a rubber grommet around it, i can't remember where on the m44 it attached but there is a blue hose coming from the fuel tank area that comes up into the bay and slides over that electric valve that you have to use a "U" pin to connect them, im sure you had to unhook it from your M44. If you already have what i described, then follow the line and get a better pic and ill try my best to tell u what it is.
11 - if you don't have the keys, i wouldn't worry about the EWSII module much, the dealer could still realign the DME to your current one.

328Ti

Old 06-29-2008, 10:16 PM   #90
zboot

1. Could you show me a picture of the AC compressor and bracket. I may already have the bracket.

2. I bought a couple metal lines and used those to extend the fuel lines. Hopefully that works fine.

3. Crap. I'm going to have to see if I can have this next-day aired to me.

4. I found the connectors for the o2 sensors.

5. Ok, I think I get the brake booster hose. However, I'm pretty sure the second one is not a coolant hose. If you look at the arrow that points down, there is one hose (the mystery one) directly below it and it sits next to another hose. That second hose is the one that connects to the bottom of the radiator. I think the mystery hose must be some secondary air inlet or something that would have connected to the ASC body that I'm missing.

6. Let see. I don't remember seeing the relay on the ECU side of the harness. However, I do have TWO ECU connectors. I suppose I'll just use one and see what happens.

7. Yeah, I'll take that with the compressor

8. I'll be buying a new thermostat and water pump. Unfortunately that's going to be a bit into the future.

9. I figured out the fuel pressure regulator thing - I connected the ti one to the end of some vacuum pump.

10. If that's the case, then I should be fine. I've got the blue hose on the ti and I've seen the part on the m52 that it connects to.

11. Due to the location of my car, cost of EWS alignment and tow, I'm going to wait until I get the EWS control module and hope the guy sent me the correct one.

Wow. Thanks Philly. I've got a couple other questions:

a. Is the second throttle cable thing (#3 pic in my previous post) an ASC one? If so, I guess I'll be bringing over the ASC throttle actuator from the ti then.
b. I forgot to take a picture of this and I can't find one of it on realoem. But coming from the oil pan, there is a metal pipe that splits off into two hoses. The larger one goes up to some pump or something on the engine. The smaller one goes to some hose that has been pinched off. I know this is a bad description, but do you have any idea what that hose would have been for?