318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,006,112 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 10-04-2009, 10:54 PM   #46
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project 318ti View Post
no im not lol im not stupid ya know, i wouldent do this on the street in residential neighbor hoods or anything like that. and hugo keep telling me to grow up, when your not even grown up your self, i dont care about your opinion or outlook on me. and like i said befor i ONLY did this once in a parking lot, im not doing it again, ive read up my reaserch and im not trying to break the car, im just using it through winter and in spring i will go back to Honda-Tech. i know the internet is full of a**hole's and i expect some neg. feed back but not aton of it like the people on here because i asked a simple question, what does it do to the car. instead i get all this BS of how im stupid and dangerous for trying something out. once. ok thats all i need to say im tired of arguing over the internet.

alos thank you ti freak for stickin up for me a bit. i appreciate it.
So you only did it once. You didn't mess anything up right? I assume you are asking if you'll mess anything up so you can keep doing it right? Because if you aren't, why you asking if it will do anything if nothing happened this one time and don't plan on doing it anymore?

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #47
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Okay, I've held my tongue and tried to stay out of this as long as I could, but I can't take it anymore. First off, the topic of this thread is just plain childish. So a ricer buys a Ti and wants to know if it's cool to slide around in parking lots...

Ask yourself this, have you ever been standing around and been startled by the sound of tires screeching, only to look up and see some moron speeding across a parking lot in some riced out Civic or Mustang? Now be honest, did you think to yourself "Damn that guy's so cool" or "Damn that guy's an idiot".

Secondly, pulling up on the parking brake to initiate a slide IS NOT DRIFTING!!! The proper term for this type of maneuver is called a "J-Turn". I was taught this procedure when I was a police officer during the Emergency Vehicle Operators Course or "EVOC". It's to be used in an emergency situation when a proper u-turn or 3-point turn cannot be employed.

Drifting is totally different as it requires heavy acceleration and uses wheel spin as a means to slide the vehicle in an unconventional manner. The sport of drifting happened almost completely by accident. It was discovered probably in the rally circuit where people thought it looked cool and sparked interest in the tuner crowd where an actual sport developed. BMW's are RWD, Hondas are FWD. There's a reason why FWD vehicles aren't used in drifting. IT'S BECAUSE THEY CAN'T. That being said, it doesn't matter if you're sliding across a parking lot in a BMW or a Honda. You're still a ricer IMO and you give the rest of us in the DTM and JDM communities a bad name.

Personally, I think drifting is stupid, but that's just my opinion. And I know why you choose parking lots over tracks, it's because you'd look like an idiot at the track trying to drift a 130hp stock 4 banger. Well imagine how much of an idiot you look like doing it in a parking lot!

And finally, to answer your original question, because I didn't just come here to flame you, YES it's bad for the car. The parking brake was not designed to stop the car, nor was it designed to be used in emergencies. It was designed to secure your vehicle WHILE IT'S PARKED. You cannot effectively control your vehicle if the rear wheels are locked up. That's why they invented ABS or Anti-Lock Braking Systems. Repeated abuse of the parking brake will cause excessive strain on the drivetrain, subframe, bushings and suspension components. You'll stretch the brake cables which can lead to them snapping due to fatigue. Our 318ti's are equipped with 4 wheel disc brakes. The parking brake shoes are located inside of the rear rotor hats and function like a drum brake. They should last the entire life of your vehicle. Unlike regular drum brakes, the parking brakes are not designed to handle high heat caused by friction. Applying the parking brake while the vehicle is in motion can cause warping of the rotor and damage to the system/components.

The best advice given in this thread was by pdxmotorhead in post#9 when he suggested attending a driving school. However, I think your childish attitude and inability to interpret, comprehend and learn has left you clueless. Go ahead and trade your Ti in for another Honda and continue thinking you know everything because you're 16 and this isn't your first car. I'm sure you've experienced so much in your few years as a driver and your intelligence shows in your question. Trust me, you'll be missed

BTW, if you think we believe that you've only did this once and won't do it again, you're only kidding yourself.

Last edited by cooljess76; 10-05-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:25 AM   #48
Maverix

Vehicles

+1 jess

And for fun sake:
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Old 10-05-2009, 12:53 AM   #49
cooljess76

Cool vid Maverix!

OP, not to be mean, but what's your definition of a ricer? Everyone has a different opinion and I'm just curious of what you would consider "the typical ricer"? And i'm not just talking about the cars or mods, every crowd has it's "ricers", I'm talking about the actual individual and the types of things you think they do that make them "ricers". Can you please answer that for me?

Last edited by cooljess76; 10-05-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:04 AM   #50
Project 318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Okay, I've held my tongue and tried to stay out of this as long as I could, but I can't take it anymore. First off, the topic of this thread is just plain childish. So a ricer buys a Ti and wants to know if it's cool to slide around in parking lots...

Ask yourself this, have you ever been standing around and been startled by the sound of tires screeching, only to look up and see some moron speeding across a parking lot in some riced out Civic or Mustang? Now be honest, did you think to yourself "Damn that guy's so cool" or "Damn that guy's an idiot".

Secondly, pulling up on the parking brake to initiate a slide IS NOT DRIFTING!!! The proper term for this type of maneuver is called a "J-Turn". I was taught this procedure when I was a police officer during the Emergency Vehicle Operators Course or "EVOC". It's to be used in an emergency situation when a proper u-turn or 3-point turn cannot be employed.

Drifting is totally different as it requires heavy acceleration and uses wheel spin as a means to slide the vehicle in an unconventional manner. The sport of drifting happened almost completely by accident. It was discovered probably in the rally circuit where people thought it looked cool and sparked interest in the tuner crowd where an actual sport developed. BMW's are RWD, Hondas are FWD. There's a reason why FWD vehicles aren't used in drifting. IT'S BECAUSE THEY CAN'T. That being said, it doesn't matter if you're sliding across a parking lot in a BMW or a Honda. You're still a ricer IMO and you give the rest of us in the DTM and JDM communities a bad name.

Personally, I think drifting is stupid, but that's just my opinion. And I know why you choose parking lots over tracks, it's because you'd look like an idiot at the track trying to drift a 130hp stock 4 banger. Well imagine how much of an idiot you look like doing it in a parking lot!

And finally, to answer your original question, because I didn't just come here to flame you, YES it's bad for the car. The parking brake was not designed to stop the car, nor was it designed to be used in emergencies. It was designed to secure your vehicle WHILE IT'S PARKED. You cannot effectively control your vehicle if the rear wheels are locked up. That's why they invented ABS or Anti-Lock Braking Systems. Repeated abuse of the parking brake will cause excessive strain on the drivetrain, subframe, bushings and suspension components. You'll stretch the brake cables which can lead to them snapping due to fatigue. Our 318ti's are equipped with 4 wheel disc brakes. The parking brake shoes are located inside of the rear rotor hats and function like a drum brake. They should last the entire life of your vehicle. Unlike regular drum brakes, the parking brakes are not designed to handle high heat caused by friction. Applying the parking brake while the vehicle is in motion can cause warping of the rotor and damage to the system/components.

The best advice given in this thread was by pdxmotorhead in post#9 when he suggested attending a driving school. However, I think your childish attitude and inability to interpret, comprehend and learn has left you clueless. Go ahead and trade your Ti in for another Honda and continue thinking you know everything because you're 16 and this isn't your first car. I'm sure you've experienced so much in your few years as a driver and your intelligence shows in your question. Trust me, you'll be missed

BTW, if you think we believe that you've only did this once and won't do it again, you're only kidding yourself.

ok let me just explain myself here cause your ignorant and really dont get it

1st off no im not a ricer, i got a TI for a ''winter beater'' to me this car is only i beater i could care less if it gets stolen

2nd n when i see people doing stuff like that i figure there having fun, there not some 45 year old in a mid life crisis thinkin they need to buy a slow little hatchback to make themselves feel like they acomplished something

3rd who cares what it is really called. to me and as it appears its still a drift, fish tail, slide whatever

4th no sh! there rwd and obviously Hondas fwd.
also I, in no way, would ever give a bad name to JDM i follow it like its a religon. im not the honda guy who throws ''jdm stickers and bages'' in my car and call it jdm, no im the one who would actually import the right jdm parts. i dont do ebay im not into the fake sh** i follow the real term. Japanese Domestic Market. i am no where near a ricer because i tried drifing/j-turn whatever. once. and only once.

5th i choose parking lots cause there is no tracks close to me, also these cars have 100hp 130 is just a compliment. also people drift stock 4bangers all the time. nissan 240sx all you need is lsd and a really good suspension setup you can drift all day.

also im not 16 im 18 and i have well enough experience, like i said befor i know who i am and i know how to drive. trust me i dont care if i will be missed your a good example of the people on bmw forums, your snobby, ignorant, uptight, and you need to drive a bmw to prove to people your higher than them. the TI is only a bmw by badge, it was the cheapest model and sales were terrible, thats why they discontinued it. (no offense to you true bmw enthusiest) i just think its funny gramps comes at me all hard cause i beat on the poor lil bimmer.

Last edited by Project 318ti; 10-05-2009 at 01:10 AM. Reason: ...
Old 10-05-2009, 01:13 AM   #51
Xenocide

Quote:
also im not 16 im 18 and i have well enough experience, like i said befor i know who i am and i know how to drive.
You are 18, you have no clue how to drive.

Go back to hondatech if you think you do.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:23 AM   #52
BahnBurnerE36

Wow, I gotta jump in haha. Did you say a "winter beater?" You do realize that yours is open diff and will basically be the worst handling car you could buy for winter?

Jess - you just owned.
Maverix - that was a sick video.
Xenocide - bahahha hondatech is tha sh*t!!!11!1oneone!!

except jess, i entirely disagree about fwd vehicles not being able to drift. one of the best drifters i have ever seen drives an ef3. you may have seen one, he has two... his personal one and the falken civic that hangs right with all the other falken drift team members.\

his name's keisuke hatakeyama... vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1IQ5oVP3dY

Sorry for the cheesy-ness and sorry i don't know how to embed

Last edited by BahnBurnerE36; 10-05-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:26 AM   #53
cooljess76

Quote:
ok let me just explain myself here cause your ignorant and really dont get it

1st off no im not a ricer, i got a TI for a ''winter beater'' to me this car is only i beater i could care less if it gets stolen

2nd n when i see people doing stuff like that i figure there having fun, there not some 45 year old in a mid life crisis thinkin they need to buy a slow little hatchback to make themselves feel like they acomplished something

3rd who cares what it is really called. to me and as it appears its still a drift, fish tail, slide whatever

also i in know way would ever give a bad name to JDM i follow it like its a religon. im not the honda guy who throws ''jdm stickers and bages'' in my car and call it jdm, no im the one who would actually import the right jdm parts. i dont do ebay im not into the fake sh** i follow the real term. Japanese Domestic Market. i am no where near a ricer because i tried drifing/j-turn whatever. once. and only once.

5th i choose parking lots cause there is no tracks close to me, also these cars have 100hp 130 is just a compliment. also people drift stock 4bangers all the time. nissan 240sx all you need is lsd and a really good suspension setup you can drift all day.

also im not 16 im 18 and i have well enough experience, like i said befor i know who i am and i know how to drive. trust me i dont care if i will be missed your a good example of the people on bmw forums, your snobby, ignorant, uptight, and you need to drive a bmw to prove to people your higher than them. the TI is only a bmw by badge, it was the cheapest model and sales were terrible, thats why they discontinued it. (no offense to you true bmw enthusiest) i just think its funny gramps comes at me all hard cause i beat on the poor lil bimmer.
Thanks for answering my question and further proving my points. I'll leave you alone now and never bother you again. Just do me a favor, in the slim chance that you actually mature into adulthood within the next decade or so, please keep a mental note of this particular incident of internet ownage so you can reflect back and see how immature you once were. I took the opportunity to quote you incase you decide to delete your post. Feel free to write down the thread URL for future reference. On that note, my final advice to you would be to pursue a GED and practice on your grammar/spelling skills. It will come in very handy for you later on in your adult life

Best wishes and Godspeed!
Old 10-05-2009, 01:27 AM   #54
BahnBurnerE36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Thanks for answering my question and further proving my points. I'll leave you alone now and never bother you again. Just do me a favor, in the slim chance that you actually mature into adulthood within the next decade or so, please keep a mental note of this particular incident of internet ownage so you can reflect back and see how immature you once were. I took the opportunity to quote you incase you decide to delete your post. Feel free to write down the thread URL for future reference. On that note, my final advice to you would be to pursue a GED and practice on your grammar/spelling skills. It will come in very handy for you later on in your adult life

Best wishes and Godspeed!
f*cking pwnd@!#!%$@#$
Old 10-05-2009, 01:58 AM   #55
Project 318ti

yea u guys are all cool, who cares about grammar its the internet f*** all of you kthnx bye.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:18 AM   #56
HuGo

hahahahahaha lmfao what a RICER!!!! I told you guys he needed to grow the f up. He's 18 and has experience? Yea sure. Yea I bet he's a pro at being a retarded parkling lot j-turner. Kid grow up, get a life, and get a clue on life. Tifreak you still wanna chime in?

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:26 AM   #57
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuGo View Post
Tifreak you still wanna chime in? [/COLOR]
shame, we were getting along for a while, the guys left now anyway, no point in this thread being open anymore
Old 10-05-2009, 02:31 AM   #58
713bmw318ti

Vehicles

Damn, lol thats all i got to say.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:34 AM   #59
BahnBurnerE36

Old 10-05-2009, 02:49 AM   #60
BMW_Hatchback

Quote:
1+ horrible car for winter conditions
Quote:
I am 20, and I get down with the funky car crowds at night at hangout spots. But when I see nonsense like this, I immediately feel embarrassed because then the people who run parking lots and don't mind us being there, they begin to want to ban us for even standing around.

Quote:
the difference is the beating your car takes, especially without a team budget?. Even once you can totally jack something up.

Quote:
also I, in no way, would ever give a bad name to JDM i follow it like its a religon. im not the honda guy who throws ''jdm stickers and bages'' in my car and call it jdm, no im the one who would actually import the right jdm parts. i dont do ebay im not into the fake sh** i follow the real term. Japanese Domestic Market. i am no where near a ricer because i tried drifing/j-turn whatever. once. and only once.
JDM as a religion? You remind me of the kids in highschool who only bought the real gear to say they have it

more of a status thing if you ask me.
Quote:
I didn't have much of a problem with you, until you said this. Parking lots if the worse place you could possible do this. You'd be putting so many people in danger. Doing crap like this is one of the most irresponsible things you could do as a driver. Takes more than an LSD to make a drifter

Quote:
also im not 16 im 18 and i have well enough experience, like i said befor i know who i am and i know how to drive. trust me i dont care if i will be missed your a good example of the people on bmw forums, your snobby, ignorant, uptight, and you need to drive a bmw to prove to people your higher than them. the TI is only a bmw by badge, it was the cheapest model and sales were terrible, thats why they discontinued it. (no offense to you true bmw enthusiest) i just think its funny gramps comes at me all hard cause i....
I'm real happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but Maverix was the best 16-18 year old street racer of all time!! OF ALL TIME!!!
Closed Thread