318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 365,444 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
ChiFly318ti

Default Rebuild of hood release system

I didn't really see any threads about this, but has anyone redone the majority of the hood release/locking system?

I have had nothing but issues with my hood. (Brief history, bought the car as a police impound{old drug car/ police chase} so it did have a lot of front end damage {and a disaster of an interior}). Anyways, I am looking to replace the pressurized springs, hood catch, hood lock, etc. Is it relatively easy? And am I going to need special tools for the springs?
I think I am mostly concerned about getting everything straight and aligned.
ChiFly318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
aceyx

The gas struts only need replaced if they won't hold up the hood. The catch, lock and whatnot only if they're rusted out. Lever and cable only if they're broken.

If it's just a heavy pull on the lever, it's an alignment issue. It's easy, but you may need an extra hand. Check the body panel clearances (they should be even and aligned) from the door forward (door - front quarter panel - bumper - nose - hood) to find out where to start.

Also, watch the clearance on the driver's side wiper. It's really tight and can chip your paint off.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
ChiFly318ti

the struts won't hold the hood up. my passenger side pin isn't rusted out, but does not lock into the catch, or so it seems. The release lever/ pin on the driver's side is rusted (the spring doesn't spring anymore) and the pin and spring that surround it are bent to hell. I guess the best way to describe it is, my hood kinda pops up on the passenger side and seems to sit cockeyed. I also have to have someone push down on the hood while I pull the cable to get the hood to open.

I hope that explains it better.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
zboot

I'm not sure about the catch, but everything else is simple to pull out and replace. Only special tool you need are torx heads for the hood pins.
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:07 AM   #5
aceyx

Rust can just get sanded, but bent stuff most definitely needs replacement.

The springs are part of the assembly, so you don't need compressors of any sort.

You'll need the socket torx wrenches--those things are pretty tight in there. Blast with penetrating oil (Kroil, PB Blaster) first to help ease them out. Blue loctite for installation.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
ChiFly318ti

Alright, thanks guys. I think this will be a first week of August project( waitin on that extra paycheck to get the odds and ends of it). Sanding the rust, if it were only a little bit I would but its alot and the non-rusted parts seem to be pretty coroded.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:14 AM   #7
budget76

Chief, I have a set of used hood struts for sale, hold the hood up plenty. Looking to get $25 shipped for them. I bought a set on here, then bought a hood with a set. I was glad I didn't 're have to buy new, they're like $25 a pop. PM me if you're interested.
1995 318TI base. 95 2.5L from 325IS. S50 cams+pistons, e36 M3 front brakes. H&R race springs F+R. Turner Motorsport front sway bars, M3 control arms. M Roadster rear sway bar. Racing Dynamics strut brace. e36 325i 5spd. 3.25lsd from e28 535is. M Roadster short shifter. Conforti chip.
budget76 is offline   Reply With Quote