318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
Wanted: 318ti automatic...
01-17-2024 09:34 PM
Last post by macilona
Yesterday 03:10 AM
3 Replies, 815,357 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-07-2005, 01:34 AM   #1
bmw318tiChic

Default Check Engine Light

My check engine light came on about a week ago, and my mechanic told me that my catalytic converter was the problem. He didn't reset the light when he checked it. Of course, it could still be the oxygen sensor after the cat. I was planning on replacing the O2 sensor this week, but today I noticed that the check engine light wasn't on anymore. Does it just turn off after a while? Or maybe was the check engine light coming on because something was being read wrong? I don't know, so hopefully you guys can tell me why my light was on earlier and now it is off.
bmw318tiChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:48 AM   #2
robcarync

I'd go the o2 sensor route personally. when my o2 sensor went out, the light came on...but it was intermittent...didnt stay on....went off sometimes....would come on again later. if you are getting an inconsistant light, my guess is that itd be the o2 sensor.

id say try the 02 sensor first cause i imagine id be cheaper
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:33 AM   #3
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw318tiChic
My check engine light came on about a week ago, and my mechanic told me that my catalytic converter was the problem. He didn't reset the light when he checked it. Of course, it could still be the oxygen sensor after the cat. I was planning on replacing the O2 sensor this week, but today I noticed that the check engine light wasn't on anymore. Does it just turn off after a while? Or maybe was the check engine light coming on because something was being read wrong? I don't know, so hopefully you guys can tell me why my light was on earlier and now it is off.
did your mechanic pull the codes and give them to you? or do you have a code reader? considering the cost of the cat, i'd do more checking and possibly replace O2 sensors before i'd replace the cat. i would say more info is needed. if you don't have a code reader/reset tool yet, it might be time to get one.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:07 AM   #4
1996 328ti

Vehicles

That is typical of a flakey 02 sensor. My CEL went on a few weeks ago then went off. Most likely it is still stored in the DME.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:38 AM   #5
aceyx

bmw318tiChic, you have a '95, correct?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:04 AM   #6
robcarync

i have a 95 ti...and my CEL would come on and go off and it was extremely inconsistant...i bought my scanner tool and scanned the bad boy...and it was an o2 sensor...

o2 sensors are easier to replace than a cat...so id definently get a scanner tool....replace an o2 sensor yourself if the code is for an o2 sensor...they are really easy to replace...if it really is the cat, then that could be trouble...
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #7
bmw318tiChic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
bmw318tiChic, you have a '95, correct?
I have a 96. From what everyone is telling me, I guess the cel just turns off sometimes when the O2 sensor is the problem. I'll get a new sensor and hopefully that will fix things. Thanks everyone
bmw318tiChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:11 PM   #8
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw318tiChic
I have a 96. From what everyone is telling me, I guess the cel just turns off sometimes when the O2 sensor is the problem. I'll get a new sensor and hopefully that will fix things. Thanks everyone
The CEL goes on and off as the readings change from the 02 sensor. I would get the codes scaned first otherwise you are just guessing. Sometimes you are just guessing with the codes anyway because one fault can trigger another.

I have read that Autozone will scan the codes.
You have no one local who can do that for you?
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:07 PM   #9
aceyx

The computer stores the last few codes, so you'll be able to see if it's the same problem repeating or other problems arising anew. Don't know if this is through the OBDII port, could be diagnostic only.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:15 PM   #10
Calgary98TI

Default Similar Problem

I also have a similar problem on my 98ti with the "spend money light" (CEL) intermitently coming on. It will come on for about 5 starts and then go off for a while. The cat is brand new. The mechanic did a scan and said the code coming up was for the cam position sensor. I haven't done anything yet as it is still off most of the time.
Calgary98TI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:38 PM   #11
cali-ti
aka Stabby

cam shaft position sensor should be #6 in this diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...85&hg=11&fg=10
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote