318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 514 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #61
blowin 4

Default up & running by friday evening

few more things to button up valve cover plugs and antifreeze . just got done doning a compression test ... when i first installed my motor from mm it took over an hour to get it to start up it would flood really bad did a compression test i got 95 95 100 105 psi talk to jim he said that sound right because it was stroked & camed i never bought that .. always had cold start warm start and flooding crazy idling . when i blew my head gasket i found that all 16 valve where not sealing in 2 identical spots . so i lapped all the valves installed new HG now im getting 150 psi across all 4 cylinder im praying that this solves all my issues from hell. 150 vs 100 psi = more power cant wait!!!!! btw scavenge pump is loud and annoying ....
blowin 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #62
pdxmotorhead

If the non contact was the same on 16 valves MM may have messed up boring the new valve guides, or installing the seats. Lapping may have got them to seal, but it they are not true you'll burn a valve...
That's the reason no reputable engine builder laps valves, it can hide a bad machining job. Who's fault is it when a valve burns 25K after a rebuild...?
It only works on iron valves in the old engines running leaded fuel and not making much power, IE model T fords, lawnmowers, and the occasional irrigation pump, typically running 3000 rpm or less.
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #63
Abraham23

I just changed out my head gasket. #3 was leaking into the cooling system. I used the M47 BMW gasket which for for a diesel motor. I torqued my modified M3 head bolts to 63ftlb. I'm ready to go for another 25K and higher boost now too.
-------------------------------------------------
2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS
Abraham23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #64
blowin 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
If the non contact was the same on 16 valves MM may have messed up boring the new valve guides, or installing the seats. Lapping may have got them to seal, but it they are not true you'll burn a valve...
That's the reason no reputable engine builder laps valves, it can hide a bad machining job. Who's fault is it when a valve burns 25K after a rebuild...?
It only works on iron valves in the old engines running leaded fuel and not making much power, IE model T fords, lawnmowers, and the occasional irrigation pump, typically running 3000 rpm or less.
well see what happens good thing i got a cometic hg and apr studs picking up a complete used head for $150 at the local pick n pull just cuz it was so cheap thinking of having it rebuilt and port n polished
not sure if that makes a big difference with turbos ...
Old 01-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #65
blowin 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham23 View Post
I just changed out my head gasket. #3 was leaking into the cooling system. I used the M47 BMW gasket which for for a diesel motor. I torqued my modified M3 head bolts to 63ftlb. I'm ready to go for another 25K and higher boost now too.
-------------------------------------------------
2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS
lol much easier to copy and paste lmfao.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #66
blowin 4

Default Good new's & bad news

Ok good news no more cold start warm start flooding problems weird idle ...BAD news smoking like crazy like if i have a blown HG white/ gray almost seem like steam . compression test reading 143 /148 all 4 maybe bad oil ring on the piston 1 where the HG blew possible cometic not sealing cracked head bad turbo seal is what im hoping for at the point where a i 6 is about to take over....

Last edited by blowin 4; 01-13-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #67
blowin 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowin 4 View Post
Ok good news no more cold start warm start flooding problems weird idle ...BAD news smoking like crazy like if i have a blown HG white/ gray almost seem like steam . compression test reading 143 /148 all 4 maybe bad oil ring on the piston 1 where the HG blew possible cometic not sealing cracked head bad turbo seal is what im hoping for at the point where a i 6 is about to take over....
update puledl my head thinking it had not sealed right to find out in the end my turbo seal went bad . its a dual ball bearing not rebuildable found a rebild kit on ebay one problem no idea how to install it looks pressed on anyway fml i think im about 2000 g in the whole so far why do i keep giving this 4 banger hope...

Last edited by blowin 4; 01-14-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #68
pdxmotorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowin 4 View Post
well see what happens good thing i got a cometic hg and apr studs picking up a complete used head for $150 at the local pick n pull just cuz it was so cheap thinking of having it rebuilt and port n polished
not sure if that makes a big difference with turbos ...
The more pressure, the better job you need on the valves.
The better quality the valves and valve seats have to be.
The better job the cut on the seat has to be.

Its a avalanche.. Speed=sqrt of Money... LOL

I would not be surprised if the diesel valves were pretty good as well, don't know about their weight or sizing though...

Both a local head pro and a engine builder I trust a lot looked at it
for me, and Port on polish on the M4* heads is basically not worth the money. BMW did their homework, the only spot to gain much is relieving the valve stem and tapering it. (But there isn't much there.. A 5 cut valve job is your only low hanging fruit.) Spend your money on a better turbo or pistons, or...

Dave.
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #69
blowin 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
The more pressure, the better job you need on the valves.
The better quality the valves and valve seats have to be.
The better job the cut on the seat has to be.

Its a avalanche.. Speed=sqrt of Money... LOL

I would not be surprised if the diesel valves were pretty good as well, don't know about their weight or sizing though...

Both a local head pro and a engine builder I trust a lot looked at it
for me, and Port on polish on the M4* heads is basically not worth the money. BMW did their homework, the only spot to gain much is relieving the valve stem and tapering it. (But there isn't much there.. A 5 cut valve job is your only low hanging fruit.) Spend your money on a better turbo or pistons, or...

Dave.
i didnt think it was worth the port in polish well heads back on waiting on turbo sent it to pureturbo installing a new ball baring cartridge and ballancing the turbines $ 450 labor included with one year warranty cant go wrong a new chara!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #70
blowin 4

Default old m44 build

i decide to take apart my old motor build first build i built 4 years ago ran great but wanted a mm 2.1 stroker . well i found cylinder 1 and 4 had top broken rings with good compression strange je pistons pauter H rods thinking of selling them . or making an other stroker motor. vac stage 3 head double springs titanium retainer ferrea valves shirck cams i dont know what i was thinking i should have had mm build me a block then used vac head i never liked the mm 44 head maybe ill swap valves and springs over to my 42 head or just ebay off everything see what happens when u make alot of money you take things for granted i bet so many ppl will read this & say only if i had money to by pair of rims or better car i know i shouldnt brag just saying some pll have it hard others have it easy .

Last edited by blowin 4; 01-20-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #71
wazzu70

Thats some nice stuff just to have laying around.

You will probably get more money by parting the head IMO.

Personally I think the M44 head has a lot of potential. The rockers on the M44 remind me of those on an EVO and they get massive revs out of them.
wazzu70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:03 AM   #72
blowin 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
Thats some nice stuff just to have laying around.

You will probably get more money by parting the head IMO.

Personally I think the M44 head has a lot of potential. The rockers on the M44 remind me of those on an EVO and they get massive revs out of them.
i was going to swap to the m44 head till jim @ MM said the m 42 was a better head for boosting and would rev alot faster and hold higher rpm before the the hydrulic lost its pump. He also said the m44 had way less stress and friction on the parts and would last longer & good for lots of low torque . so i called vac & topend they both agreed on the m 42 head so m42 it was .
Old 01-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #73
blowin 4

Default leak down test cold & dry .

looking good cant wait to get my charger back im going to see some insane number once i re dyno
Old 02-25-2013, 01:26 AM   #74
blowin 4

Default custom plenum with matched flow velocity stackers

This was designed by my buddy joe @ DSR customs built by me calculated to bring out the max torque at low rmp so i can run max boost and make more power on 91 pump gas with out having to depend on meth or race gas

Last edited by blowin 4; 02-25-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:29 AM   #75
blowin 4