318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Personal bios and Introductions

Notices

Personal bios and Introductions A short personal history.

» Recent Threads
1995 318i M42 removal of...
Today 02:07 AM
Last post by BertrandP102
Today 02:07 AM
0 Replies, 134 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
05-28-2024 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 2,025 Views
E30 trailing arms
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 281 Views
OMG!OMG!
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 458 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 1,296 Views
View Poll Results: Whats your education Level?
GED 3 1.70%
High School 58 32.95%
Bachelors 78 44.32%
Masters 25 14.20%
PHD 10 5.68%
trade School 9 5.11%
apprenticeship 6 3.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-23-2006, 07:24 PM   #46
AlaskaBlue

My highest level of education is a high school diploma. I am in my second year of working on my bachelors or music for classical guitar performance. I am hoping to keep my schooling up to a PHD in music.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:06 AM   #47
weezer

I have a Bachelor's and Master's in Music Theory and Composition, but guess, what? All that tuition money went out the window, I am now a Cafeteria manager with 15 years of foodservice experience: 9yrs as chef, 2yrs food sales, 3.5 yrs in Catering Sales and currently Cafeteria manager for corporate account. In 3 weeks I will be working for Racing Dynamics/Electrodyne selling aftermarket parts to people like us, but mostly wholesale to large aftermarket parts accounts. College education CAN be useful; it gives us all analytical thinking to achieve certain goals, but experience and dedication is a must......I think.

1997 318ti, Hellrot (Bright Red), Dinan Stage 2 Chip
16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Future Mods: E46 17" wheels or Kosei K-1 17x8.5s
weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:37 AM   #48
FMD

Currently in my fourth year at the university and should have my BS in chemistry next year. Planning on working toward a PhD in analytical or synthetic chemistry afterward--then off to industry...
FMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:25 AM   #49
pnosker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI View Post
i want to be Air Traffic Control/Test Pilot
Why bother? I doubt you'd earn more than with your PhD!

*back to topic*
Oh, I have my HS diploma secured (I can get it officially now, but want to take some more courses first).

Next year it's off to my free education at Rutgers University! Haha... STDville.
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #50
L84THSKY

Experince and dedication are very important. However, the biggest mistake people make, occurs the moment they enter college. Choosing the right degree program is probably the most important career decision you will ever make.

As much as I like music and philosophy, I would never get a degree in it. Stick with what pays the bills. The simple rule always applies. The harder the degree, the more money you make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezer View Post
I have a Bachelor's and Master's in Music Theory and Composition, but guess, what? All that tuition money went out the window, I am now a Cafeteria manager with 15 years of foodservice experience: 9yrs as chef, 2yrs food sales, 3.5 yrs in Catering Sales and currently Cafeteria manager for corporate account. In 3 weeks I will be working for Racing Dynamics/Electrodyne selling aftermarket parts to people like us, but mostly wholesale to large aftermarket parts accounts. College education CAN be useful; it gives us all analytical thinking to achieve certain goals, but experience and dedication is a must......I think.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:46 PM   #51
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
The simple rule always applies. The harder the degree, the more money you make.
I am afraid this very American belief that hard work is rewarded is seldom true in some fields.

Getting to a PhD in the sciences at a decent U.S. university takes on average ten (10) years of study and hard work. The attrition rate of the two programs I was involved in was around 70% -- and those were nearly all good and competent people. For all but one of the people who did or didn't get their PhD, not making the effort and not getting a harder degree would have been more rewarding in terms of lifetime earnings and, I suspect, happiness.

The one exception spread his graduate studies, part time, over ten years -- on a full-time government salary and with the accomodating support of his boss. He had already been at it for over four years when I started and was thoroughly ticked off (in a friendly way) when I scheduled and passed my final defense a week before he did.
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:10 PM   #52
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
The simple rule always applies. The harder the degree, the more money you make.
Two exceptions come to mind: Nursing and IT.
Nurses are starting at $60k/year in my area, some with a $10k sign on bonus.
IT can be extremely lucrative if you know what you are doing.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #53
L84THSKY

Nursing is not an exception, it is alot of difficult schooling and dedication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 10-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #54
L84THSKY

I'm now in a Graduate Engineering program at night. The work load isn't too bad, and my company is paying for it. Graduate school is as far as I'm gonna go.

One of my favorite Professors in undergraduate school was a Dr. Chang. He got his Graduate degree and PhD from MIT. A wise man he was, but very practicle as well. He said to our class, "Don't bother with a PhD unless you plan on teaching".

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Firestone View Post
I am afraid this very American belief that hard work is rewarded is seldom true in some fields.

Getting to a PhD in the sciences at a decent U.S. university takes on average ten (10) years of study and hard work. The attrition rate of the two programs I was involved in was around 70% -- and those were nearly all good and competent people. For all but one of the people who did or didn't get their PhD, not making the effort and not getting a harder degree would have been more rewarding in terms of lifetime earnings and, I suspect, happiness.

The one exception spread his graduate studies, part time, over ten years -- on a full-time government salary and with the accomodating support of his boss. He had already been at it for over four years when I started and was thoroughly ticked off (in a friendly way) when I scheduled and passed my final defense a week before he did.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 10-05-2006, 07:08 PM   #55
sublimeti

Quote:
Here in California 60k would be a difficult income to strive on. I say strive because u can definately survive on 60k, but if u want your own house, car and a vacation every once in a while......u will need to bring in atleast 110k a year.
Just my two cents.
sublimeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #56
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Nursing is not an exception, it is alot of difficult schooling and dedication.
I was referring to the amount of schooling required. You can be a nurse with a 2 year degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimeti
Here in California 60k would be a difficult income to strive on. I say strive because u can definately survive on 60k, but if u want your own house, car and a vacation every once in a while......u will need to bring in atleast 110k a year.
Just my two cents.
That's 60k +10k bonus immediately out of college. Most people don't "strive" right out of college.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #57
Platanos

Quote:
I was referring to the amount of schooling required. You can be a nurse with a 2 year degree.
I have 2 more semesters
Then 3 yrs to get a BSN
Then 2 more for my CRNA

Seems like it will never get here....
Old 10-06-2006, 04:13 AM   #58
fly2thesun

Some PhD degree, like in Biology, is hard to get, and also hard to live on. 5~8 years of struggle in the school.. After graduation, more of the same thing, something called PostDoc for at least 2~5 years, which pays less than $50K when he/she is already over 30 with family to support.. Hardly cool.
fly2thesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:20 AM   #59
AlaskaBlue

Quote:
As much as I like music and philosophy, I would never get a degree in it. Stick with what pays the bills. The simple rule always applies. The harder the degree, the more money you make.
I agree, but disagree that music won't pay the bills. I already make near 40 dollars an hour while in school, which is pretty good for a 19 year old with a part time job. If you pay your time learning the instrument that you perform on, and don't give up you don't have any option but to continue on. I have no worry about my future because I have no other choice so I had better work as hard as I can.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:02 AM   #60
jkilla71

Location: Ft Lauderdale, Fl moving to Eastern PA in May of 2007

B.S. Business concentration Finance – Penn State University