318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing

Notices

Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing Discuss "organized" racing, car set-ups, driving techniques, track tips, events, driving schools, maintenance and more.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 809 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,338 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-12-2012, 03:55 AM   #46
slowoldpoop

Vehicles

Brake upgrade? Tell me more! I have M3 big brakes on the front, but I was comparing my dinky little rear rotors to an E36 M3, and wondering what it would take to upgrade the rear brakes on my 318ti.

I know I can spend zillions on an upgrade brake kit, but is there another way? Like with BMW parts?
slowoldpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:04 AM   #47
wolferj-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldpoop View Post
Brake upgrade? Tell me more! I have M3 big brakes on the front, but I was comparing my dinky little rear rotors to an E36 M3, and wondering what it would take to upgrade the rear brakes on my 318ti.

I know I can spend zillions on an upgrade brake kit, but is there another way? Like with BMW parts?
Any US spec e34 sedan rear calipers... Uses the 318ti caliper carrier, but has a larger piston (38mm vs. 34mm IIRC). It's not a massive upgrade, but apparently restores the factory brake bias when using the e46 front brake setup with vented rotors.

There's a thread about it here;

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34131

Also uses the same brake pad as a stock ti, too...
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #48
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:

When it comes to upgrading the rear brakes on our 318ti's with factory BMW parts you have 2 options...

1) E34 rear calipers (as discussed)

2) Z3 M Coupe/Roadster rear trailing arms. These will allow you to run those large rear rotors you were looking at on the M3.

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #49
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferj View Post
Ok, heading out to the track again tomorrow am... Forecast is for clear skies and mild temps.

Only upgrade I have done since last track day is the e34 rear brake caliper upgrade combined with SS brake lines, and fully bled the brakes with Super Blue fluid.

This will probably be the last track day this year for me, as most track groups stop running in the winter.

Looking forward to a fun day!
Have fun and be safe! Glad I could help with the brakes!

Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

Old 10-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #50
slowoldpoop

Vehicles

2) Z3 M Coupe/Roadster rear trailing arms. These will allow you to run those large rear rotors you were looking at on the M3.

Tell me more! Is this a major job? Do they bolt right up? Will this in any way improve the handling?

With bigger rotors and calipers back there, do I have to upgrade anything else--like the master cylinder?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:57 AM   #51
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:

Tell me more! Is this a major job? Do they bolt right up? Will this in any way improve the handling?

With bigger rotors and calipers back there, do I have to upgrade anything else--like the master cylinder?
They bolt right up and should be combined with an E36 M3 master and E36 M3 front brakes for maximum effectiveness.

The arms are not cheap...expect to pay 500-1000 for a pair.

There will be no noticeable effect on handling but MZ3 rear trailing arms do have reinforcements that stock ti arms do not.

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

Old 10-12-2012, 05:00 AM   #52
slowoldpoop

Vehicles

Thanks!

I'll see if I can hunt up a used set. I got M3 front brakes, but don't know about the master cylinder.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:02 AM   #53
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
Thanks!

I'll see if I can hunt up a used set. I got M3 front brakes, but don't know about the master cylinder.
I found a couple used masters a few years back on eBay for $40.00 each. They list for $536.00 and I sell new ones for $199.99.

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

Old 10-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #54
wolferj-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBum View Post
Have fun and be safe! Glad I could help with the brakes!
Much appreciated! I'll report back with my impression.
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
Old 10-13-2012, 05:25 AM   #55
wolferj-RIP

Home safe and sound, ti still in one piece and no off-track excursions... Sounds like a great day was had by all!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #56
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
Home safe and sound, ti still in one piece and no off-track excursions... Sounds like a great day was had by all!!!
...and the brakes were? Awesome? Amazing? Fantastic? Super? All of the above?

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

Old 10-15-2012, 02:38 AM   #57
wolferj-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBum View Post
...and the brakes were? Awesome? Amazing? Fantastic? Super? All of the above?
Well, the brakes are good, but the Akebono pads are not the best for track applications... Had some brake fading issues by the end of the day, so I took it easy on them. When you gonna stock Hawk pads?

I bled and bled the brakes, but they still seem slightly spongy, like there's still some air in the lines. Gonna have to try some more bleeding.

While I had a great day (hard not to!), I am either too reserved, cautious, or just green. I ran with the slowest group and other novice drivers were all over me in cars that were stock or less prepared. There was a stock 318ti and a stock e30 318is that both drove with me and I couldn't keep up...

I am really wondering if my suspension is all wrong. I am running 318ti H&R race springs, Bilsteins, and Eibach sway bars. I do plan on getting a xbrace and strut braces by next season. Should I look into coilovers as a better alternative?

Any way, no environmental excursions this time and like I said before, I had fun. Met a great group of guys who had just picked up one of the original 1982 Celicas from the Toyota Grand Prix series at Long Beach, and were running it there for the first time. Very cool car with a great history..

I just feel like I need about 10 more days at this track to begin to understand the car and it's dynamics.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:43 AM   #58
wolferj-RIP

Oops, forgot to add some picture links;

Me and the ti in action; (don't mind me getting crazy with the colored tape!)
http://www.gotbluemilk.com/web121012/219/index.html

My favorite here is just before turn 10;
http://www.gotbluemilk.com/web121012...s/image11.html

Here's a link to all the cars there;
http://www.gotbluemilk.com/web121012/

Here's one of me chasing the Celica;
http://www.gotbluemilk.com/web121012...es/image1.html
Old 10-15-2012, 03:29 AM   #59
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
Well, the brakes are good, but the Akebono pads are not the best for track applications... Had some brake fading issues by the end of the day, so I took it easy on them. When you gonna stock Hawk pads?

I bled and bled the brakes, but they still seem slightly spongy, like there's still some air in the lines. Gonna have to try some more bleeding.

While I had a great day (hard not to!), I am either too reserved, cautious, or just green. I ran with the slowest group and other novice drivers were all over me in cars that were stock or less prepared. There was a stock 318ti and a stock e30 318is that both drove with me and I couldn't keep up...

I am really wondering if my suspension is all wrong. I am running 318ti H&R race springs, Bilsteins, and Eibach sway bars. I do plan on getting a xbrace and strut braces by next season. Should I look into coilovers as a better alternative?

Any way, no environmental excursions this time and like I said before, I had fun. Met a great group of guys who had just picked up one of the original 1982 Celicas from the Toyota Grand Prix series at Long Beach, and were running it there for the first time. Very cool car with a great history..

I just feel like I need about 10 more days at this track to begin to understand the car and it's dynamics.

I should carry the hawk pads by the end of the year. The Akebono's are fine for an autocross but I can see them fading by the end of a track day. A proper bleed is of maximum importance... without it nothing else matters.

As for your suspension... what do you feel the car doing? Coil overs are always ideal but that does not mean that a sport shock and spring combo will not be sufficient.

It does not sound like you are at the limit of your car so at this point just worry about brakes and seat time. When you can out drive your equipment in some respect it is time for an upgrade. As you saw by the stock ti and E30... the best upgrade possible is the driver.

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

Old 10-15-2012, 05:12 AM   #60
Mr.Squeelerz

Quote:
My favorite here is just before turn 10;