318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
Yesterday 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
Yesterday 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 368 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 960 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-20-2006, 04:27 PM   #31
AlaskaBlue

Ha no it was NA (still am). I actually was surprised by how fast I got it. I think I could take 5th all the way to 7k. 140-145 was dang close to 7k though like 6.5k. Car is extremely low as you can see in the sig. Probably 1.5 inches of ground clearance at the lowest spot, I have taken a lot of things out of the car to make it even ligher. Has almost all the "basic" mods, 9lb flywheel, a few other things I am not thinking off. It was on a normal flat road too on a windless day.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:33 PM   #32
weezer

Lighter flywheel, huh? Alway thought about that.
My 97 is also lowered with H&R, similar height to yours, judging by the picture.
Did you remove the governor? Using CAI and cat back systems?
Thanks

1997 318ti, Hellrot (Bright Red), Dinan Stage 2 Chip
16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Future Mods: E46 17" wheels or Kosei K-1 17x8.5s
weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:38 PM   #33
AlaskaBlue

Fenders are rolled back tire is tucked under the fender about an inch front is lowered about three and a half inches. I have no cat. I have a 40 series muffler, I have the fogged air box. Flywheel is great revs super fast. I have the Dinan chip so that removed the governer and raised the rev limiter to 7k, as well as adding a nice amount of power. I have the M42 engine.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:42 PM   #34
weezer

I think you just sold me on the Dinan chip. I want the rev limiter raised and the governor removed.

16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Old 01-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #35
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezer
I think you just sold me on the Dinan chip. I want the rev limiter raised and the governor removed.
We are doing a group buy on the Technique Tuning software. I think the N/A software is about the same as the Dinan chip. And cheaper.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #36
weezer

Do you know if the technique Tuning chip is a chip install or flash ROM?
The Dinan chip for the M44 engine is a flash ROM update and cost $299 plus $50 for install.
I'm thinking the TT chip, with shipping and install will cost just about the same. I'm wary of installing software by myself, static might cause the ECU/DME to clear out (?)

Old 01-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #37
HuGo

Whats up guys, after getting my car back, I head out to the freeway and test my top speed. I recorded my cluster, but ill put it on here once i know how. Anyway, i started recording it from 5th gear. I notice i only went up to 120 mph. I was thinking why i didnt go faster. The needle didnt move any higher than 120. So i was thinking, if i was in 4th gear to redline, then to 5th gear, i might go faster than that. But after, I got home and watch it, and I noticed that I was going 120mph and rpms almost redlining, needle wouldnt go past either. So what im getting at is, the fastest my car can go is 120mph?? I'll upload video clip if i can. Anyone know how??

The cluster says top speed is 150, why cant i reach the 150?? Is it that governer thing ppl talk about.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: ok heres the link to the video i recorded.
http://media.putfile.com/My-Top-Speed

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:52 PM   #38
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI
The cluster says top speed is 150, why cant i reach the 150?? Is it that governer thing ppl talk about.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: ok heres the link to the video i recorded.
http://media.putfile.com/My-Top-Speed
There is a speed limiter in the US. The speedo is actually conservative. Top speed is a little less than indicated.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #39
andyman7931

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI
THE FASTEST MY CAR CAN GO IS 120MPH?? ILL UPLOAD VIDEO CLIP IF I CAN. ANYONE KNOW HOW??

you weren't really going 120, the speedo has inaccuracies built in, you experienced the 116 governor.

The governor also has nothing to do with the speedometer. It's software in your computer that either retards spark or fuel to prevent the engine from spinning faster when the speed reaches a certain amount. It does the same thing when you rev the engine too high and hit redline.

for all the people testing out top speeds... double check your tires to be sure they are in good condition and rated for these speeds. I can't think much worse times to have a blowout than going 110+ down the road.
andyman7931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:22 PM   #40
halek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
There is a speed limiter in the US. The speedo is actually conservative. Top speed is a little less than indicated.
Do all US cars have this governer then or just the imports?

Some of our (uk) cars have speed limiters, mainly German & Japanese cars but they limit us to 155mph
Old 01-21-2006, 09:59 PM   #41
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by halek
Do all US cars have this governer then or just the imports?
I believe all US cars have them, but not necessarily at 116. IIRC, it's a federal regulation under the EPA's power.

Aside:
previous mentioned speeds were done by GPS. There was 400lbs of photo equipment in the trunk of the M3.
I've also done 125 in a 735is (non-GPS reading) and 140 in a 740iL (non-GPS). There was also the time I did 80 in a 35 in a CLK320, with the dealer in the car. It was a test drive.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:06 AM   #42
30yrMbr

Vehicles
Default How Fast is fast?

I've see an indicated 142 on the back straight at Salzburgring, before slowing for the 90 right hander, in our E46 M3. I managed a bit above 125 in the M3 at California Speedway before lifting to make the chicane at start finish. At the same place in my Ti, it was indicating 115 and still pulling, before having to lift for that D#mn chichane. The chip ups the U.S. govenror limit to 7000. Not bad for 138 hp Ti vs the 330 hp M3!

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/data/54...27_clipped.jpg
30yrMbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:10 AM   #43
HuGo

DID U GUYS SEE MY VIDEO?? SO I WASNT GOING 120 THEN? Oh well, i dont really care cuz its not like i can go that fast around here anyways. When i planned on doing this last night, I HAD to pop out with the radar detector. I dont want to get my car taken away, hell no.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:52 PM   #44
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
I believe all US cars have them, but not necessarily at 116. IIRC, it's a federal regulation under the EPA's power.
I seriously doubt you will find a regulation that fixes the top speed at 116 mph, or whatever. The U.S DOT, however, may require a new car have tires that are good to its maximum possible speed – as their colleagues do in Germany. I don't know, I haven't looked at the U.S. regulations.

The 116-119mph limit you guys are slamming into is the result of a decision BMW NA made around 1992-1993. Customers were coming in and complaining to their dealers about uneven tire wear. BMW NA effectively solved that problem by substituting more tolerant, lower-speed, all-season tires and electronically limit the top speed of their cars to match. Well, more or less. They placed the above limit to allow T-rated tires on their four-cylinder models but, as far as I know, never used anything slower than H-rated.

If you guys just need to remove the speed limiter, I have a nice little controller that will do that. It also adds the one-touch lane change signals you get on recent European cars – briefly tap the turn stalk and you get 3 or 5 flashes – which is such a fun and useful mod I am surprised more people don't add it. Heck, I just got a PM from a guy this afternoon who recently added my gizmo to his car and seems to like it:
The Euro blinker controller is amazing. It really makes a huge difference, especially in the city driving.
Anyway, I am not going to push it, but I really think some of you are missing something good!
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:31 PM   #45
halek

*note to self* never complain to BMW about tyre wear

Interesting info there John. I dont have a limiter on my UK car but like the idea of your one touch lane change mod. Could you give us a bit more info please, ie.what it consists of, where/how it's fitted, price/availability etc
cheers