318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exhausts

Notices

Exhausts Aftermarket exhaust discussions.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
Today 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
Today 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 198 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 747 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-23-2005, 08:54 PM   #31
318ti_Portugal

halek, I think the exhaust is very nice! It looks very sporty and not ricey at all! I think it just needs the said tweeking to be perfect! Once again, thank you for the pictures! Really helpfull! Just another request... Any chance of a video to hear the sound of the magnex?
MODS: Staggered M Kontours; Mtec Side Trim with M3 badges; Mtec Steering wheel with Airbag; M3 Modified Shift Lever; M3 Leather Shift Knob, Leather Centre Arm Rest; Euro Clear turn signals; M3 Electric and Heated Side Mirrors; Cat replaced by straight pipe; Mtec Rear Bumper; E36 M3 Front Brakes with EBC Drilled and Slotted Rotors and EBC Red Stuff Pads; Vader Seats. More to come!

My Picture Gallery:
http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showgal...r=1407&cat=500
318ti_Portugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:09 PM   #32
flex_318

Great pictures man it looks great. A video would be great if its possible.
flex_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:50 AM   #33
halek

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep-uk
halek,

whats the score with the Nurburghring sticker on your rear end?
me old man went down there with his mates & rode it this summer on his blackbird (CBR1100), brought me back the sticker. I'd love to do it myself,you can just turn up, bung em some euro's & do a lap in whatever you turn up in.
http://www.nuerburgring.de/home/index.html?L=1
Old 12-24-2005, 12:14 PM   #34
davep-uk

yeah ive seen it on the tv. its about 20 euros a lap, and would take about 16 mins in a Stock TI.

'96 318ti in Montreal Blue :m-tec sideskirts,m-bootspoiler,clear corners & repeaters .m-tech side mouldings, Magnex Exhaust System, leather armrest, F-15 gear Knob, 18" Evo 2's. Not Finished Yet......

http://www.myspace.com/davep_uk
davep-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:20 PM   #35
halek

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
can you by chance weigh that lovely stock setup and post the result? there was another thread where we were trying to figure out the weight of different exhaust systems. too bad you didn't weight the magnex before installing

we can then put all that info in a knowledge base article

looks good, btw!
got me some scales & pulled the magnex off to give it a tweak & make it fit a little better so I weighed em both (cat back only)

stock = 35.6 lb or 18.3 kg

magnex = 20.6 lb or 9.4 kg

that stock pipe sure is a heavy mofo
Old 12-31-2005, 09:23 PM   #36
318ti_Portugal

Excellent weight on the magnex! Half of stock!

Halek, have you tried raising the muffler? Does it have clerance to be raised? Like cutting a section of the hangers and welding them a bit shorter?
MODS: Staggered M Kontours; Mtec Side Trim with M3 badges; Mtec Steering wheel with Airbag; M3 Modified Shift Lever; M3 Leather Shift Knob, Leather Centre Arm Rest; Euro Clear turn signals; M3 Electric and Heated Side Mirrors; Cat replaced by straight pipe; Mtec Rear Bumper; E36 M3 Front Brakes with EBC Drilled and Slotted Rotors and EBC Red Stuff Pads; Vader Seats. More to come!

My Picture Gallery:
Old 12-31-2005, 11:32 PM   #37
halek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318ti_Portugal
Halek, have you tried raising the muffler? Does it have clerance to be raised? Like cutting a section of the hangers and welding them a bit shorter?
I've got it as high as it will physically go now thanks to one of L8's old posts that cali pointed me toward (thx guys).

The pipe rubs the rear cross member when you lift the rear box higher.The stock pipe is flattened on this section to give it clearance,so I marked the pipe up while fitted to the car, removed it & slightly flattened it using blocks of wood & a club hammer to resemble the stock pipe. I also noticed that one of the rear anti-roll bar fixing bolts was about 3/8" longer than necessary & was fouling the rear edge of the magnex silencer, so I took about a 1/4" off the end of that while in situ with a dremel. I also put a 1/4" deep crease along the top rear edge of the silencer to give more clearance from the anti-roll bar. I know it sounds a bit savage whacking a new exhaust about with a club hammer but if your careful & use suitably sized pieces of wood between the pipe & hammer blows you can make it look like it was made that way.

Now your clearance issues are solved all you need are some shorter exhaust hanger rubbers. BMW Mini cooper S rubbers work perfectly - see pic, black is the standard hanger & red are the mini ones (part# 18 20 7 535 665)

here's the result, ideally I'd like it another ½" higher but it wont go any more without fouling the anti-roll bar. Still, I can live with it like this

Old 01-01-2006, 12:39 AM   #38
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by halek
got me some scales & pulled the magnex off to give it a tweak & make it fit a little better so I weighed em both (cat back only)

stock = 35.6 lb or 18.3 kg

magnex = 20.6 lb or 9.4 kg

that stock pipe sure is a heavy mofo
actually, that first calculation is off which one did you weigh it in, pounds or kilograms?

EDIT: it certainly looks better after your adjustments good work d00d.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:39 AM   #39
halek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
actually, that first calculation is off which one did you weigh it in, pounds or kilograms?
opps, my bad

should be 35.6 lb or 16.15 kg for the stock pipe
Old 01-01-2006, 02:45 PM   #40
318ti_Portugal

Excellent work! With the mini-hangers it really looks great!!

Are you happy sound-wise?

My Picture Gallery:
Old 01-01-2006, 02:55 PM   #41
halek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318ti_Portugal
Are you happy sound-wise?
It sounds excellent, if anything a little on the loud side for my taste (I am a bit of a perfectionist) but in no way is it intrusive. Stomos reacons they mellow out within a few hundred miles & mine has only done around 50-60 miles so I expect it to be near on perfect once its run in.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:38 AM   #42
318ti_Portugal

Any chance of a video? I would really like to ear a magnex. I just can't make up my mind, exhaust wise...

My Picture Gallery:
Old 04-21-2006, 12:47 PM   #43
davep-uk

yeah, i'd be interested to hear another one cos i'm starting to think mine was not sealed properly.

'96 318ti in Montreal Blue :m-tec sideskirts,m-bootspoiler,clear corners & repeaters .m-tech side mouldings, Magnex Exhaust System, leather armrest, F-15 gear Knob, 18" Evo 2's. Not Finished Yet......

Old 04-21-2006, 01:03 PM   #44
318ti_Portugal

davep-uk, is yours loud?
Can you post a video? Or maybe some pictures?

I just can't make my mind between the magnex and the supersprint.
The magnex is stainless steel, lighter and probably louder and cheaper.
The supersprint has better fitting on the Mtec bumper because of the square tip.

My Picture Gallery:
Old 04-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #45
davep-uk

I'LL try and post some pics in the next few days. the magnex does not fit straighyt on my car as i do not have the Mtech rear bumper. so it sits to one side. it is not too loud, just a nice grumble at hard accelaration. but i dont think mine was sealed properly when it was fitted as it sounds a bit "blowy". i need to get it up on ramps to have a proper look.