318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1997 318ti under 5000...
10-08-2022 11:52 PM
Last post by kupkake303
06-04-2024 06:01 PM
16 Replies, 20,368 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by H4MMY
06-04-2024 07:15 AM
212 Replies, 1,324,356 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
06-01-2024 03:04 PM
7 Replies, 410,008 Views
1995 318i M42 removal of...
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
Last post by BertrandP102
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
0 Replies, 1,338 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
05-28-2024 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 3,854 Views
E30 trailing arms
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 1,348 Views
OMG!OMG!
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 1,584 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-04-2007, 12:35 AM   #16
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by campaiar View Post
I work for a company that has applications deployed on Windows, Linix, AIX, Weblogic, RedHat... you name it, we've got it.

Its refreshing to hear that some companies are smart about it.
we have IRIX, HP-UX, AIX, Digital UNIX, Compaq Tru64, Solaris, VMS, Debian Linux, Red Hat Linux and moving to SuSE Linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustent
I work for a Microsoft Gold partner...I can't comment.
i think that gives you MORE right to comment
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:46 AM   #17
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

ill_black_assassin:
Thanks for your help. Now I know who to ask the next time I want to know what everyone here thinks about something.

DustenT:
It's OK, I won't hold that against ya. ;-) I'm still hopeful that someday you'll see the light and leave the dark side. heh heh

mohaughn:
Maybe this didn't make the product cheaper, but if it kept the product from being more expensive, isn't that a good thing? :-D

And yes, some of these "switch articles" are just marketing hype. I seem to remember that the city government of Munich was going to convert all the municiple systems to Linux a couple of years ago, but I think that was a limited success. I'd dig up the relevant articles but since, thanks to ill_black_assassin, I know that nobody here cares, I won't waste my time on it.

Also, before I'm labeled a "Linux zealot"... as much as I like open source software in general and Linux in particular, I still adhere to the principle of "use the proper tool for the job." So I will not be converting my parents and siblings to Linux any time soon.

96cali:
It may be "over your head" but I bet you can still relate to this. Think of it this way... one of the things Audi used Linux for was "EMC (electromagnetic compatibility) simulations" and this was not a single computer, but a cluster. Clusters are increasingly being used to render 3D, CAD, etc. So, it's possible that one of your product designs will be tested or simulated on a Linux cluster... depending of course on what sort of things you generally design. :-)

mohaughn / zboot:
Blackberry?? Blackjack?? WTF are those? I still happily use a Motorola StarTAC that's just over 5 1/2 years old. LOL

I find it interesting that open source software has matured enough to be used in industrial environments like this.

The Germans seem to be embracing OSS more than many other countries. (or maybe they're just using it as marketing hype more than other countries? heh heh heh) Who knows... BMW may go this route in order to keep their prices competitive with Audi. I think that would be interesting too.

I also think it will be interesting to see what other computer-related parts of the automobile could IN THEORY use open source software. E.g., the OBD software and the ECU. Then again I recently read that one of the US car manufacturers was going to include Windows Automobile Edition in some of their upcoming models.

JMJ

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:10 AM   #18
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
DustenT:
It's OK, I won't hold that against ya. ;-) I'm still hopeful that someday you'll see the light and leave the dark side. heh heh
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti View Post
i think that gives you MORE right to comment
Well, I do have a bit of Linux experience. I built a couple Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS) a couple years ago using Snort on Suse. The primary technology that I support, Cisco Callmanager is now available with a Linux operating system, so I'm sure I'll be re-learning Linux again. For those of you that want to play around with Linux VMware is really great for learning Linux with maintaining a MS host OS (and VMware server is FREE now).

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:49 AM   #19
mohaughn

Don't get me wrong, once they make it so that you can't easily circumvent DRM on windows machines I'll switch all of my home machines to something of the opensource variety... I like mandriva for a more user friendly home machine. We use mostly Solaris and Windows in my group, but we just do email and digital messaging along with wireless services... Some new stuff is running on redhat...

But we have just about anything you could think of somewhere in the company.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:53 AM   #20
roadrash

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
For those of you that want to play around with Linux VMware is really great for learning Linux with maintaining a MS host OS (and VMware server is FREE now).
I don't mean to drag this thread even farther off topic, but a couple of other options for checking out Linux are:
  • Dual-boot: I.e., install and run Linux and Windows on the same machine. You can't run both at the same time like you can with VMware, but this route also requries less RAM than VMware. (please correct me if I'm wrong on that.)
  • "Live CD": There are a LOT of Live CD's out there now, one of the most popular is Knoppix. You simply boot your computer from a CD and the entire operating system and applications are run from the CD. It's slow, limited by the data transfer rate of the CD drive, but it also doesn't require installation. And hey... to bring this a bit back on topic... Knoppix was created by Klaus Knopper, who is... [drum roll] ... German!! LOL

Feel free to PM or e-mail me if you have questions about Linux. I'm by NO means a guru, but I know more about Linux than I know about 318ti's. Not that that's saying a whole heck of a lot. LOL

JMJ

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
Old 01-04-2007, 02:01 AM   #21
mohaughn

You can reasonably run vmware on a machine with 512mb of ram. I would really suggest having 512mb for each virtual host and for the physical host. Most of the time when we do any sort of OS training we build out virtual hosts using MS Virtual server. Those machines usually have 1.5gb of ram so that we can run two virtual hosts. Makes it nice to do simulation testing on the same machine.

We also use it a lot in our lab environment.. Make changes, test things out, if something goes wrong, just blow away that virtual server instance and boot the image back up. You can also take snapshots to backout through any changes you have made.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:04 AM   #22
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
You can't run both at the same time like you can with VMware, but this route also requries less RAM than VMware. (please correct me if I'm wrong on that.)
Correct, I have 2gb of RAM in my laptops (IBM Thinkpads, R51 and T60) and I can easily run up to 4 workstations at a time. Servers and Vista require a bit more RAM, so only 2 of those at a time, not including the host XP OS.

Quote:
LOT of Live CD's out there now, one of the most popular is Knoppix. You simply boot your computer from a CD and the entire operating system and applications are run from the CD.
Knoppix STD was my first experience with Linux and I used to use a Featherweight Linux program to reset the admin passwords on PCs at school.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 01-04-2007, 02:13 AM   #23
roadrash

Vehicles

Quote:
Correct, I have 2gb of RAM in my laptops (IBM Thinkpads, R51 and T60) and I can easily run up to 4 workstations at a time.:
Hmmm... I've got 1.2GB of RAM, so if I get VMware happening, I could be running Linux as usual, and then start up WinXP so I could do something important like play Spider Solitaire? Sweet. LOL

Quote:
Knoppix STD was my first experience with Linux and I used to use a Featherweight Linux program to reset the admin passwords on PCs at school.
LOL ... I've found the Auditor CD to be quite useful... but I can't say why.

Another really useful CD is the System Rescue CD. I used that to repartition my laptop hard drive a little over a year ago because the NTFS tools on the Mandriva install CD's couldn't do it yet.

JMJ

Old 01-04-2007, 05:48 AM   #24
zboot

Smile

not to be on-topic, but I wonder if there are more simulation tools on linux than windows. . . .
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:28 PM   #25
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboot View Post
not to be on-topic, but I wonder if there are more simulation tools on linux than windows. . . .
There are some Linux based virtualization products out there, if that's what you're asking. Parallels and VMware both run on Linux.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 01-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #26
zboot

Simulation - you know. . the stuff audi is using to test 3d models of cars flying out of control.
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #27
mohaughn

They probably write their own. There are a lot of mathmatics and engineering frameworks available for systemV based systems.