318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
OMG!OMG!
Today 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
Today 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 45 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 994 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,457 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-18-2007, 11:35 PM   #16
L84THSKY

The only reason I was upgrading from my m-tech rear bar, to the H & R M-coupe bar was the end links. Mine are sqeaking and rubbing the halfshafts. I bought the newer style adjustable and greasable end links, but they require the adjustable sway bar, can't use any stock bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
The M coupe bar is 19mm vs the M roadster bar which is 18mm. I have the coupe bar in my ti and it made a noticeable difference in the handling of the car. A relatively cheap and must have upgrade for anyone upgrading a ti's suspension.

All I changed were the brackets, bushings and bar. All stock M coupe pieces. You could go with urethane but I don't feel it could be a huge improvement.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:52 AM   #17
L84THSKY

H & R sway bar arrived. I was gonna post a pic, but I can't find my adjustable end links. When I do, I'll post a picture of the links, sway bar, bushings all mounted together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbof128 View Post
Subscribing to this thread. Keep us updated on how the install goes.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 04-28-2007, 12:49 AM   #18
andy

You only need one adjustable end-link, right? The sway bar pivots and can be adjusted from just one side. Or does the clearance make two necessary?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2007, 01:43 PM   #19
L84THSKY

I have no idea why you would buy only one. They sell them as a set. I bought a set. Not sure if clearance is the main issue, or maybe just setting them at the correct angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
You only need one adjustable end-link, right? The sway bar pivots and can be adjusted from just one side. Or does the clearance make two necessary?

Thanks!

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 04-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #20
mohaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
I have no idea why you would buy only one. They sell them as a set. I bought a set. Not sure if clearance is the main issue, or maybe just setting them at the correct angle.
If you are running a front M3 style sway bar and you use the OEM adjustable end links you only need one. Probably asking if the same type of setup is possible on the rear.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...D=31351134582A

I'm guessing that you would still need two adjustable end links because the non-adjustable one may not be the right length. But as the front suspension on a Ti, with M3 compliant struts is basically identical to an M3 you could use the M3 non-adjustable end link on one side and the adjustable one on the other.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:39 PM   #21
Panzer_M

well I got my upper M Coupe mounts in on Fri from Import.

Mon/Tue I am ordering a rear bar .
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:46 AM   #22
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
If you are running a front M3 style sway bar and you use the OEM adjustable end links you only need one. Probably asking if the same type of setup is possible on the rear.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...D=31351134582A

I'm guessing that you would still need two adjustable end links because the non-adjustable one may not be the right length. But as the front suspension on a Ti, with M3 compliant struts is basically identical to an M3 you could use the M3 non-adjustable end link on one side and the adjustable one on the other.
You really need to run both adjustable links or both solid. You want the sway bar to lay parallel to the ground under load. If you were using one adjustable link and one not I can only imagine the sway bar bind.

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:07 PM   #23
mohaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBum View Post
You really need to run both adjustable links or both solid. You want the sway bar to lay parallel to the ground under load. If you were using one adjustable link and one not I can only imagine the sway bar bind.
Not really. If the non-adjustable end link is the proper length then you only need 1 side to be adjustable to take out any pre-load from lowering the car. TcKline, turner, bimmerworld, and Josh at the Bimmerplace all agreed that you only need one adjustable if you use OEM length endlinks. However, for the price of one OEM adjustable end link and an OEM non-adjustable endlink you can buy a set of adjustable GC end links. Which is what I did.

I'm fairly certain that the configuration on the M3's that had the adjustable endlink, they only come with one.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:26 PM   #24
L84THSKY

Just tried to install rear H & R sway bar. The bracket on the car that hold the clamps was broken on the passenger side. I'm gonna have new MZ3 brackets welded on. Any idea what the part# is?

Here is a picture of my broken one. The bottom is missing a tab where the clamp slips in. Part#3 mentioned, is what connects to the part in the picture.

Is it OK to drive with the rear sway bar off for a few days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer_M View Post
here is my list of what I used.

# 7, # 8, cause the bolt is longer than the Ti's(and might as well get a new nut)

#6 M Coupe/Z3M Lower Sway Bracket.

# 4, which is a 16mm nut vs the Ti's 13mm nut(Ti's will not work with the Z3M Bracket)

The Upper 4 is still the OE Ti since you use the 318ti's stud attached to the frame, so it's still a 13mm nut..but I replaced it as well.

I also picked up new #3(M Coupe Brackets, Upper), but they are still in bags since I am still using a 16mm rear sway bar.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 06-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #25
Panzer_M

dust, is driving w/o a rear sway bar on his ti.
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:30 AM   #26
L84THSKY

What's the part# for the bracket on the MZ3 car? The part welded to the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer_M View Post
dust, is driving w/o a rear sway bar on his ti.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 06-04-2007, 04:49 AM   #27
DocDuvi

Quote:
Is this the correct rear bar for our cars? I'm referring to the M-coupe one. Why do they list both an M-coupe and a Roadster rear bar, what's the difference?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ODUCT_ID=71754

I forget, how much thicker is that bar than the M-tech rear bar?
can anyone confirm that is the correct bar cause I want one!!!!
DocDuvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #28
L84THSKY

Default I NEED THIS PART# FAST!

BUMP......................

Quote:
What's the part# for the bracket on the MZ3 car? The part welded to the body.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 06-04-2007, 08:27 PM   #29
L84THSKY

I called my local dealer, this is the part # 41112 491 300.

Can someone else check it out and see it they agree this is the correct part?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&fg=25&hl=27

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 06-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #30
L84THSKY

Showed the damaged bracket to the mechanic today, he thinks I should do what I was planning to do, put the MZ3 brackets on. They should be alot stronger. Hopefully, the dealer is ordering the correct parts.

Quote:
Just tried to install rear H & R sway bar. The bracket on the car that hold the clamps was broken on the passenger side. I'm gonna have new MZ3 brackets welded on. Any idea what the part# is?

Here is a picture of my broken one. The bottom is missing a tab where the clamp slips in. Part#3 mentioned, is what connects to the part in the picture.

Is it OK to drive with the rear sway bar off for a few days?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd