318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 566 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,102 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 02-10-2006, 07:01 AM   #16
cossieturbo

My only thought is possibly looking at a Centrifugal unit vs. the present Roots on the market. It would be easier to intercool later, more flexible with upgrading, but would have a little extra lag (Not much mind you) and should be lighter overall. That's my bit, lower weight. I'm prepping my TI for a DASC, but am game for other ideas.

I passed on the South Florida bit even though the price was better. Nothing against them... Miami is a tough place to get a good rep and product from (Once bitten). I live close and have only found a few fabricators that were covering all angles (Mosler in West Palm for one).

cossieturbo
Old 02-10-2006, 08:08 PM   #17
96cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
You have heard the phrase, you get what you pay for.
True, but price is not carved in stone. DA's investment in developing an M42/44 Dasc unit has no doubt long since payed off. That means if they get serious competition (interpret as you may) they have room to lower the cost and/or improve the design. In that scenario, you're still getting DA quality for possibly less $$.

They deserve some stiff competition for a product line that has seen only(to my knowledge) minor improvements in fit, not performance. If I were a manuf. I'd constantly update my product offering, but maybe the M44 is a bastard child. Hence, the more products the better.

Greg- what's your companies history? Where can we find out more about you?

Old 02-10-2006, 08:21 PM   #18
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

I think the supercharger is a side-business for DA. They do race fabrication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96cali
True, but price is not carved in stone. DA's investment in developing an M42/44 Dasc unit has no doubt long since payed off. That means if they get serious competition (interpret as you may) they have room to lower the cost and/or improve the design. In that scenario, you're still getting DA quality for possibly less $$.

They deserve some stiff competition for a product line that has seen only(to my knowledge) minor improvements in fit, not performance. If I were a manuf. I'd constantly update my product offering, but maybe the M44 is a bastard child. Hence, the more products the better.

Greg- what's your companies history? Where can we find out more about you?

'99 Dinan M3
Old 02-10-2006, 09:18 PM   #19
96cali

Aha!

Old 02-10-2006, 10:44 PM   #20
mss318ti

Hi guys I will get around to answering you but we have been really busy so I will post lots of info about us in a day or so. Sorry for the wait.

Greg Scrivner
SEAM
Old 02-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #21
mss318ti

Ok guys here is a big question for you. If you had to pay more for a more powerful and efficient system over a cheaper less powerful and efficient system which would you buy. I ask this question simply because of the type of supercharger we are planning to use we currently are split between the EATON M62 Roots type and the WHIPPLE W75AX Screw type. The EATON is the least efficient in terms of power delivery (tend to lose power towards top of power band), volumetric efficiency, and heat creation. The WHIPPLE on the other hand is much better in terms of power delivery (very linear power delivery), volumetric efficiency (98% which is the best of any supercharger this is not a company thing it is due to the design of the unit), introduces much less heat into the air charge. On the other hand the WHIPPLE does have to have the Oil changed at 20,000 miles with regular
5W-50 Synthetic motor oil whereas the EATON is a self contained unit but typically need a rebuild around 120,000 miles. So by using the WHIPPLE unit and a few other things we have planned we can build a superior supercharger system too anything else on the market (Not braging, this is based on a few design elements if anyone would like to discuss these with me feel free to email me at jester4982@Aol.com , greg@seambmw.com , or PM me or you can AOL IM me at jester4982 .) I will be posting a company bio by Monday for all of you to read because I have read and heard from a few of you that you have been burned before and by no meens am I trying to do the same and I look forward to working with some of the more local members on design and development work on this system once we get a few decisions and design kinks worked out. So if we go with the WHIPPLE unit you get a better system but it will be more costly. If we use the EATON it will be better (again design elements) but not as good as the WHIPPLE (By quite a bit) but it will be cheaper. I dont want to quote pricing at the moment because I dont know the exact design of the system yet with either supercharger. But based on the differences in price of the supers we are looking at a difference in price of around $400-$800. But again like it was said before you get what you pay for. Well guys feel free to give me your opinion on this, I look forward to hearing you views.

Greg Scrivner
SEAM
Old 02-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #22
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Linear like this?

'99 Dinan M3
Old 02-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #23
Midnight Autoworks

If you gus are making a new system , PLEASE USE THE WHIPPLE!, We replaced an m90 eaton roots with a whipple 1.6l twin screw on a e36 m3 and It rocks the differencewas like driving an M5 motor, , Hands down use the whipple.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:08 AM   #24
cossieturbo

here are a few good links looking into some of the details on Superchargers.

http://www.coloradocobras.com/whippl...rchargers.html

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/faq.asp?faqID=5

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1162

Maybe the Whipple would be best?

cossieturbo
Old 02-12-2006, 02:08 AM   #25
AlaskaBlue

I've always been told that twin screw s/c's were the best. AA is coming out with a twin screw s/c for the e36 M and everyone on bf.c is almost in love with the thing. I would say the whipple is the best choice for power and diversity.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:13 AM   #26
SlickmisterN

Whipple fa sheeze! lol
Old 02-12-2006, 04:23 AM   #27
96cali

does either place more stress on the engine thu shortening lifespan?

Old 02-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #28
andyman7931

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96cali
does either place more stress on the engine thu shortening lifespan?
I'm sure both do. More power out of the same displacement will cause more heat. More heat will contribute to wear. The question is how much does it shorten the life. I can live with some reduced lifespan if the performance is pleasing.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:46 AM   #29
mss318ti

Good Im glad you guys agree we decided over the weekend that the Whipple was the best choice even though the price was more. I would be lying if I told you it didnt shorten the life span of the engine but I can tell you that we are addressing the heat situation quite intensively and that our system will be much friendlier than other systems on the market. If you guys would like more information on the system please feel free to email or AOL IM me at jester4982@aol.com,
Jester4982 or at work at greg@seambmw.com. No we arent finished and we are still working on the manifold design but I can let you know more specifics off of the forum. Again thanks for your comments and I will post more information for your "approval"!

Greg Scrivner
SEAM
OEM & Performance BMW Parts
Old 02-13-2006, 07:03 AM   #30
cali-ti
aka Stabby

cool. i was going to suggest whipple since there is already a good kit using the eaton roots type. be nice to see what you guys come up with. there's a couple guys in the denver neighborhood that were talking about making a trip down
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
Closed Thread