318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exhausts

Notices

Exhausts Aftermarket exhaust discussions.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
Yesterday 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
Yesterday 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 305 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 816 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #16
Dave_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriman View Post
A word of warning... there is about an 800 core charge for the OEM cat, so if you do end up going after market.. hang onto your oem cat, just in case you decide to get the oem cat at a later date.
Thanks Harriman. But I think that what we need to realize is that not all after market are created equal. No doubt some are cheaper than others in price and build quality, but others are fairly well built and can actually be used.

My problem is that spending that kind of money on my car is over 1/3 of the total price of the car. At that, then it's tough to really justify going OEM.

Dave
Dave_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:00 AM   #17
harriman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_PA View Post
Thanks Harriman. But I think that what we need to realize is that not all after market are created equal. No doubt some are cheaper than others in price and build quality, but others are fairly well built and can actually be used.

My problem is that spending that kind of money on my car is over 1/3 of the total price of the car. At that, then it's tough to really justify going OEM.

Dave
Yeah I hear that, thats allot of money. The fact that people are saying to go for a used OEM over an non OEM tells me just how bad of quality aftermakert CATs are. It sounds they will most likey throw a code, and from my experience, my non OEM cat went bad within one tank of gas.

Now its imporant to remember that it's not the aftermarket CAT itself that is bad.. its the size of the piping. So you are correct. If you install the after market CAT proper then yes it could in theory work. You would need to have access to a welder etc etc. Basically cut the old one out and weld the new one in. (you can not buy non-OEM bolt on CATS in CA, anymore) For me the easier route was to buy a new bolt on OEM, as I dont weld and live in CA.
harriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:49 AM   #18
familytruckster

Vehicles

hollowing out the cat makes it unbearably loud.

These cars run HOT, and that's what kills the aftermarket cats.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #19
Dave_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytruckster View Post
hollowing out the cat makes it unbearably loud.

These cars run HOT, and that's what kills the aftermarket cats.
you aren't kidding. man just having the catalyst loose in there made it pretty unbearably loud. Needless to say i was glad to have that off there.

the nail in the coffin for me was when the catalyst basically plugged the exhaust up and the car was tough to drive over 3.5k rpm.
Dave_PA is offline   Reply With Quote