318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Regional Forums > United States > California > SoCal

Notices

SoCal For the discussion of social events in Southern California only.

» Recent Threads
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
Today 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 1,556 Views
E30 trailing arms
Today 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
Today 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 61 Views
OMG!OMG!
Today 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
Today 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 212 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 1,046 Views
View Poll Results: What should I do with hatch badge?
Keep it as 318ti 4 100.00%
Switch to 332ti 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-04-2008, 02:52 AM   #196
mohaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuGo View Post
The M Shop did a compression test and they said it was a very healthy motor at 230 and 225 compression all across.

So what did you do to fix the compression? Those values are considerably different than what you posted when you bought that motor...

And you may have been able to hang with an STI with a rolling start through 1.5 gears, but from a complete stop, or up to 130, an STI will blow you away.. There is no way that a 240(maybe)hp s52 is going to keep up with a 350+hp all wheel drive sti.

I suggest you take your car to a drag strip, find an experienced STI driver, and then see who wins that race.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #197
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
So what did you do to fix the compression? Those values are considerably different than what you posted when you bought that motor...

And you may have been able to hang with an STI with a rolling start through 1.5 gears, but from a complete stop, or up to 130, an STI will blow you away.. There is no way that a 240(maybe)hp s52 is going to keep up with a 350+hp all wheel drive sti.

I suggest you take your car to a drag strip, find an experienced STI driver, and then see who wins that race.
I didnt do anything to the motor. Thats what the owner from the M shop told me the numbers were.

And dude...yes i know i wont beat an STI passed 3rd gear and/or 80mph+ or from a launch wtf you think im stupid? I know i can beat a stock evo and stock sti from roll up to 80mph. I dont think his STI is pushing 350. If anythng i think he might be doing like 330 and thats a guess. Also, i can drive his car better than he can. LoL.

But i am not a bit surprised to hear this coming from you

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #198
lazoh

Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"]
A fully built motor with a GT40 will destroy that ferrari mija.
Its starting to sound to me that no matter what, nothing is to good to beat you, but I bet you that I can take you with my bone stock Z4 on 20s.

1984 BMW 323i E30 BAUR (Euro)
1989 BMW 325i E30
1998 318ti E36

Join us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
lazoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #199
mohaughn

Quote:
I didnt do anything to the motor. Thats what the owner from the M shop told me the numbers were.

And dude...yes i know i wont beat an STI passed 3rd gear and/or 80mph+ or from a launch wtf you think im stupid? I know i can beat a stock evo and stock sti from roll up to 80mph. I dont think his STI is pushing 350. If anythng i think he might be doing like 330 and thats a guess. Also, i can drive his car better than he can. LoL.

But i am not a bit surprised to hear this coming from you
I didn't say anything negative.. Just not sure how a motor goes from having compression issues to having no compression issues. And if you are going to post saying that you can take an STi, expect people to call you on it, because you can't.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #200
lazoh

Quote:
And if you are going to post saying that you can take an STi, expect people to call you on it, because you can't.
Actually you can if the driver of the STI does not know how to drive.

1989 BMW 325i E30
1998 318ti E36

Old 08-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #201
mohaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazoh View Post
Actually you can if the driver of the STI does not know how to drive.
That is taking the driver, not the car..
Old 08-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #202
lazoh

Quote:
That is taking the driver, not the car..
Correct.

1989 BMW 325i E30
1998 318ti E36

Old 08-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #203
pnosker

I raced a 2003 STI with my dad's M Roadster with the M50 mani, exhaust, and K&N filter and I beat him... it's an S52 M Roadster, dynos at 290 hp at the rear, and runs 0-60 in 4.55 sec. The STI got 4.82 sec 0-60... so I guess it depends on the year. The ti is lighter than the M Roadster too considerably.
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #204
mohaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnosker View Post
it's an S52 M Roadster, dynos at 290 hp at the rear, and runs 0-60 in 4.55 sec. The STI got 4.82 sec 0-60... so I guess it depends on the year. The ti is lighter than the M Roadster too considerably.
That is a great rwhp number at 290.. I've not heard of, or seen an S52 put down 342hp before without FI. A euro motor, sure, but not the US spec ones.. A stock STI will run at that speed, but when you take in any mods, the power jumps up real quick on those.. I've seen a local WRX converted into an STI that puts down 350awhp. A conservative COBB tune with exhaust, intake, etc.. will run somewhere around 350 at the crank. Go with their more aggressive 93 octane tune, and it is well over 350.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #205
pnosker

Oh I meant to the flywheel... IDK what I was thinking!
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #206
L84THSKY

I'm no expert on Subaru cars, but I just ran into a guy from my last company that has one of these STI's. He spent every last nickel he has on this car. When I asked him what was new, he said he did some new larger intercooler system to the car, and some fuel/turbo management upgrade. He told me the car went from 310 WHP to now 360 WHP. I have no reason to doubt this guy, because this car is really tricked out.

Quote:
That is a great rwhp number at 290.. I've not heard of, or seen an S52 put down 342hp before without FI. A euro motor, sure, but not the US spec ones.. A stock STI will run at that speed, but when you take in any mods, the power jumps up real quick on those.. I've seen a local WRX converted into an STI that puts down 350awhp. A conservative COBB tune with exhaust, intake, etc.. will run somewhere around 350 at the crank. Go with their more aggressive 93 octane tune, and it is well over 350.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #207
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

The STi has a curb weight of 3350lbs and produces 305hp. Lets just say that Hugo's Ti weighs 2800lbs and puts down 240hp as a guesstimate. Is it unreasonable to think that a 332ti might be able to give a car that's 550lbs heavier with only 65 more hp a run for his money? Keep in mind, Hugo has an LSD, a Z3 shifter and a few other goodies. Just my .02
Old 08-04-2008, 07:51 PM   #208
HuGo

Quote:
Its starting to sound to me that no matter what, nothing is to good to beat you, but I bet you that I can take you with my bone stock Z4 on 20s.
This is the most negative thing i have ever heard come from your mouth. No i dont think im invinsible. I know there are a lot of cars out there that can beat me. You asked me what mod is next...and as a joke i said a fully built motor with a GT40. You took that assumption by saying (and this is with me not having a built motor with a GT40) that SUPPOSEDLY i think i cant be beaten by any car? Anyway, you said that...not me. Sure ill run your Z4 and if i lose f*ck it. You can't win them all. I'll do what i have always done when i lose a race...throw the thumbs up and smile because you can't win them all. But ill tell you this...you are not going to get rid of me that fast...

Quote:
I didn't say anything negative.. Just not sure how a motor goes from having compression issues to having no compression issues. And if you are going to post saying that you can take an STi, expect people to call you on it, because you can't.
It wasn't so much negative but instead of being like..."you kept up with an sti thats kool" but since its HUGO nooo we gotta be like "that can't be right...lets go into specifics" Im not dumb. Im into the car scene. I know I won't be able to completely beat the sti. But like i mentioned...we went up to redline of 3rd gear almost going into 4th. I was just amazed to have actually kept up with his car for that much. STi are also heavy. Im sure if we were to launch I wont even be able to keep up with it in the lower gears. That's why i said a rolling start. I had raced him just for the hell of it with the supercharger and he took off on me sick. This time, he couldn't lose me in the lower gears like he did with the SC. That car is quick...trust me i know I'm the driver of that car. His car isn't even perfectly tuned yet.

But whatever you know cuz no matter what i say someone has to rant about it. It's kool though, im used to it for...how long has it been like 2-3 yrs? I'm sure if it was jesse that would had said he kept up with an STi or if it was another NON hugo member with a 332 the words would be as simple as "thats awesome congrats!"

LoL if this would have been 3yrs ago I would have been banned right now because who knows what I would have said (bad words, language, terms etc). That's the beauty of being older You sure do mature (not directly to you mohaugn but to me).

Mohaugn if you ever come to LA ill give you a spin in my car.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #209
lazoh

Quote:
This is the most negative thing i have ever heard come from your mouth. No i dont think im invinsible. I know there are a lot of cars out there that can beat me. You asked me what mod is next...and as a joke i said a fully built motor with a GT40. You took that assumption by saying (and this is with me not having a built motor with a GT40) that SUPPOSEDLY i think i cant be beaten by any car? Anyway, you said that...not me. Sure ill run your Z4 and if i lose f*ck it. You can't win them all. I'll do what i have always done when i lose a race...throw the thumbs up and smile because you can't win them all. But ill tell you this...you are not going to get rid of me that fast...
You do think you are invinsible and that is that, you have your opinion and I have my opinion about that.

There was nothing negative about my comment, it was just my opinion.

Wanna race let me know and we can set that up, how about the 1/8 mile in Irwindale (every thursday)? Since you claim that top end could be an issue with you, this can work, right?

1989 BMW 325i E30
1998 318ti E36

Old 08-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #210
HuGo

Quote:
You do think you are invinsible and that is that, you have your opinion and I have my opinion about that.

There was nothing negative about my comment, it was just my opinion.

Wanna race let me know and we can set that up, how about the 1/8 mile in Irwindale (every thursday)? Since you claim that top end could be an issue with you, this can work, right?
I guess.

Edit: $20 bucks for a 1/8 mile track...f*ck that. Find a good location. I know of many in Ontario lmao.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...