318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
Yesterday 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 1,699 Views
E30 trailing arms
Yesterday 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
Yesterday 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 140 Views
OMG!OMG!
Yesterday 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
Yesterday 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 297 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 1,128 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #61
jaimito79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post
jaimito,
you going to redo your ti yet? i've been waiting ever since i got my ti to see when you're going to start on it. Or what are your plans with it?

CF-ing the whole car would be nice on weight reduction but heavy on the pocket to make it legit. keeping an eye out on here.
I don't know about the CF-ing the whole thing. At this point the whole front end needs to be replaced. Ary's a pretty cool kat. I'm going to see if he'll sponser me. He has nothing to loose and neither do I. Let see what he say's. My car will be a prototype for him. This entire community would buy from him. Especially the whole west region of the country. I'm not saying they are, but how many guys you know that are willing to produce quality CF parts for Ti's? I'm definitely going S50. Don't want to be left behind all you guys... Going to take a good 7 months at least.

Road to redemption...
jaimito79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #62
HuGo

whats up jaimito. Lol I ain't mad. Lol the only reason why you want to fix up your ti is cuz it's a clubsport. Would it have been an active or something you would have thrown that sheet out by now lol. But you been saying for years you were going to fix it. In your case u got nothing to lose going cf. But really a cf roof? So ppl are willing to cut off their roof? Lol. I bet they didnt think about add on prices like...fixing the headliner. I doubt installation is cheap. I know for a fact no one has the proper tools and stuff to do it yourself. And your going to want to put in a roll cage so you have hopes of living if you flip over. Ppl with factory roofs sometimes die when they flip over. Pppfff kids. Now pasting a cf sticker sheet is something else. But from what I read is they want an actual roof. And for what? What purpose? Oh look I am mr cool kid here with a cf hood! That thing would get ruined in a year from the sun. And being that is custom will cost an arm and leg. Look at the s2k... Their cf tops cost over a grand and thats with the company making a lot. Not just 5.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #63
pcalahane

Vehicles

i admit i know nothing of what it would take to do a roof. it would be hella tight but basically all i can do is ask the guy what if questions. So just for the record... this is mainly a post to get CF hatch buyers and/or CF fenders. The roof... well all i can do is ask. but im sure he can make an overlay with no problem if the roof idea is that out there.

And i would like to say welcome hugo to the post, was waiting for you and that ti of yours. so freaking fast.
pcalahane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #64
Bluebimma

I agree with hugo. I can see a carbon fiber hatch with lexan and a carbon fiber hood, hell, there are e36 cf doors already on the market, but for what, not a DD. There is a reason why your car didnt come from the factory with a bunch of cf structural parts, besides cost, but for safety reasons. Have you ever seen cf detroyed, it doesnt dent like metals, it shatters and all those splinters can impale you inside the cabin if breached. There are a lot more ways to remove weight from these cars than to redo everything in cf.

Good luck with everything people, think before you drop a LOT of cash.

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #65
pcalahane

Vehicles

you see my want for the carbon hatch, believe it or not is to get out the dents in my lid. (buddy backed it into the lift when he customized my exhaust system). to fix the dents it would be $900+ But if we get the carbon, i gett better looking, the rear will match the front, and it will ultimately be cheaper than fixing this metal POS. so please fellas... help a brother out. im redoing my ENTIRE exterior and all i care about it cheapness and looks. The CF hatch does both.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #66
pcalahane

Vehicles

the fenders are more of a... "that would be sick if..." and the roof was like "wtf?" but im open to anything. just help me get my hatch. please please please please please!
Old 10-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #67
Bluebimma

Get a used hatch and paint it...

Old 10-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #68
pcalahane

Vehicles

it would roughly be the same im betting. besides, i cant fing any wrecked ti's in the yards here. (bloody rare car lol) i mean if you know of one hella cheap great but im honestly not expecting the CF hatch being that much. I mean the cost of painting is what now? $1000-2000?

Last edited by pcalahane; 10-03-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #69
Bluebimma

lol, if you dont think a cf hatch will be expensive, youre crazy. You can get a hatch for 90-300max, glass included. Most paint shops are 60/hr plus parts and labor. You live in california, thats where all the ti parts are found.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #70
pcalahane

Vehicles

ugh, this sucks. well if i cant get five i'll try finding one.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #71
S.F.bayti

I'm still in for the hatch-
S.F.bayti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #72
jaimito79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuGo View Post
Lol the only reason why you want to fix up your ti is cuz it's a clubsport. Would it have been an active or something you would have thrown that sheet out by now lol. But you been saying for years you were going to fix it. In your case u got nothing to lose going cf. But really a cf roof? .
Aye it's a lot easier when you live at home and don't got a family and bills to pay buddy. Believe, me I wish it were that easy... But I'm not into the CF roof thing. I'm just going to offer it to Ary in exchange for sponsorship. Don't need the front bumper, rather go oem m-tech. Cooljess hooked me up with everything. Let's see what Ary says. The fenders and hood would be good with the an S50 motor. I'm still going to paint everything Hellrot. I want the outside to look oem, execpt for wheels of course. I wouldn't mind re-fabricating a hatch to a CSL trunk, all metal work. With the CF trunk, you just going to make the rear lighter. Not good for weight distribution. Oh and I did look for another 95 for a while, but no luck on anything i liked.. You know I got nothing but love for any Ti...

Road to redemption...
jaimito79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #73
Maverix

Vehicles

Some newer model BMW's come with CF roofs.
They were "Keepin it Real" when they introduced the 318ti ClubSport in '95 and the 318ti Sports from '96 to '99.
After that... well nothing else really matters.
~Jess
Maverix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #74
E36Compact

I would be interested in purchasing the hatch if it fits exactly like OEM (i.e. hatch release, etc.) and retains the OEM glass. Maybe integrate a subtle CSL style lip?

Is the manufacturer in the SF Bay Area? I would be happy to speak with them and possibly help.
E36Compact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #75
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverix View Post
Some newer model BMW's come with CF roofs.
Yea I know but BMW knows exactly what they were doing when they did that. I am sure they reinforced a lot of stuff for that. Now us just cutting out our roof and throwing in a CF roof is something else. Big difference buddy. Doesn't even come close to comparing kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimito79 View Post
Aye it's a lot easier when you live at home and don't got a family and bills to pay buddy. Believe, me I wish it were that easy... But I'm not into the CF roof thing. I'm just going to offer it to Ary in exchange for sponsorship. Don't need the front bumper, rather go oem m-tech. Cooljess hooked me up with everything. Let's see what Ary says. The fenders and hood would be good with the an S50 motor. I'm still going to paint everything Hellrot. I want the outside to look oem, execpt for wheels of course. I wouldn't mind re-fabricating a hatch to a CSL trunk, all metal work. With the CF trunk, you just going to make the rear lighter. Not good for weight distribution. Oh and I did look for another 95 for a while, but no luck on anything i liked.. You know I got nothing but love for any Ti...
Yea I know. Even without bills and family is hard to work on a car. And I know you're giving your car up as test dummy/blueprint and not so that you can go rice. Lol. But now the rest of the ppl that are actually purchasing the stuff...i ono.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote