318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exhausts

Notices

Exhausts Aftermarket exhaust discussions.

» Recent Threads
1997 manual 318TI M...
05-13-2024 09:38 AM
Last post by angwydwagon
05-13-2024 09:38 AM
0 Replies, 1,335 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #76
dave45056

All right Yoda! As you said in the movie "Do or do not... there is no try"

You certainly got it done!
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #77
yoda

Vehicles
Default Video...

Here it is....

Custom JohnBoy Turbo, Midnight-Tunning Software, HKS BOV, e-Pod Gauge Pod, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sport, e30 3.73 LSD, Depo P36, Apexcone 55w HID, OEM Spoiler, M3 Lip, M3 Mesh Grill, Crossdrilled Rear Rotors, M3 Front Brakes, Sparco 3 point Harness, Euro M3 Wheel, K&N cone, Clear Corner/Sides/Tails, M3 Center Console & Arm-rest, M3 Red Cluster Needles, M3 Mirrors & Side Skirts, RD Exhaust, DS-1 wheels!...
yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #78
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Awww.... RD now has zero of these units left... because the last one has my name on it. :-D I'll be picking it up on March 14th since I'll be out there anyway. So, hopefully by the end of March, my exhaust system will be refurbished. Yay!

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:32 AM   #79
tiFreak

Vehicles

sounds good, nice and aggressive
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:44 AM   #80
yoda

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
sounds good, nice and aggressive
It is a very MUTED LOW-END RUMBLE, NO RICE in it at all!... and it is NOT LOUD!... JUST WHAT I WANTED
The Mic on the camera makes it seem louder than what it really is as well...

Custom JohnBoy Turbo, Midnight-Tunning Software, HKS BOV, e-Pod Gauge Pod, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sport, e30 3.73 LSD, Depo P36, Apexcone 55w HID, OEM Spoiler, M3 Lip, M3 Mesh Grill, Crossdrilled Rear Rotors, M3 Front Brakes, Sparco 3 point Harness, Euro M3 Wheel, K&N cone, Clear Corner/Sides/Tails, M3 Center Console & Arm-rest, M3 Red Cluster Needles, M3 Mirrors & Side Skirts, RD Exhaust, DS-1 wheels!...
Old 02-28-2009, 04:01 AM   #81
wolferj-RIP

I got to hear Yoda's exhaust and it is Nice! Sweet low rumble, not too loud and definitely not Rice! Of course he had his installed by the time I drove down to get mine from him (big, big thanks again!), and posted a clip already.

Since I spent literally all day on the road (had to take a family member to SFO at 8am), then jet down to Yoda's place, then home by 5:30pm... I'm too bushed to tackle mine tonight, so first thing tomorrow...
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:23 AM   #82
dave45056

Mine is installed! Sounds great!
I was worried about the part where the pipe crosses the subframe. It's close but so far it does not thump. I'll let you know what happes when I cross RR tracks. Here are some installed pics.

Subframe Clearance... yes I installed the hanger after I took this.

Interface to Cat

Old vs New... isn't that a work of art?

Old 02-28-2009, 05:20 AM   #83
yoda

Vehicles

Dave...
you couldn't wait huh?.....

you might want to turn off the date function on your camera or at least type in the right year...lol... 2007?...

BTW
At least the last available RD Exhaust Systems were had by members of this Forum!....

Old 02-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #84
dave45056

[QUOTE=yoda;218381]Dave...
you might want to turn off the date function on your camera or at least type in the right year...lol... 2007?... QUOTE]

LOL!!! I used my daughter's camera since the batteries were dead in mine.
Oh well. It's in and sounds great. Mine is still burning off some oil from manufacturing, But you can only smell it from outside the car. The sound is different than your video clip. It's deep and mellow at idle. Louder and a little higher pitch as the revs go up. My engine is an M42, for the record.
I have to agree... there is no rice in this exhaust.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:39 PM   #85
dave45056

Yoda, how much have you driven your car since the install?
Do you smell oil, too? Smells different than engine burning oil.
Also if you have driven alot, is the tone changing at all?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #86
yoda

Vehicles

only drove about 10 miles yesterday, and yes you can smell the oil burning outside the car... I'm pretty sure it will gain a few dB's (decibels) once we put in some mileage on it, but being that it is relatively quiet it won't be bad at all... The supersprint I had gained a tad but it never ever sounded "ricey" at all, I expect the same from this one.

Gotta wait for Wolferj (James) to install his today... I got to listen to the BOSAL he had on his and it had a higher pitch, was almost factory quiet at idle, and he said it sounded a bit "ricey" inside the car at revs... Build quality for the Bosal was far inferior to what we just got our hands on, it looked like a system you go put together at a muffler shop...

We got a hell of a deal with these guys.... Especially me!... My total cost was $162 + 600 mile drive (round trip)...left at 7am was back home at 4:20pm... I was also offered really good deals on the other stuff they had there for our cars and other e36... CRAZY deals that if I wasn't broke I would've jumped on them!... I'm waiting on the guy to email me the list with prices so I can let you guys know what can be had... Things he mentioned were:
RD strut braces
RD K55 Front bumper
RD side skirts
RD rear valance (active bumper)
RD mirrors
RD Rotors
RD steering wheels (not sure if it was just the emblem)

but I'm still waiting on the full list...

Old 03-01-2009, 12:43 AM   #87
roadrash

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
but I'm still waiting on the full list...
Be sure to post that. Since I'm going to be there I just might pick up some extra stuff and toss it under the bus for the trip home.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
Old 03-01-2009, 02:47 AM   #88
wolferj-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
Be sure to post that. Since I'm going to be there I just might pick up some extra stuff and toss it under the bus for the trip home.
As long as they don't throw you under the buss for hauling too much stuff around...
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:49 AM   #89
H3_2.1-ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
It is a very MUTED LOW-END RUMBLE, NO RICE in it at all!... and it is NOT LOUD!... JUST WHAT I WANTED
The Mic on the camera makes it seem louder than what it really is as well...
It will sound much better once it has been broken-in; around 500 miles should do it.

Also, I noticed that it fits slightly off-center to the left (towards the driver's side). You can simply adjust this by tweeking the left side hanger. Heat up the hanger with a torch and bend the vertical part outwards. This will put less tension on the rubber ring and center the tip.

Cheers,

Engine: 2.1L Hartge conversion (bored to 86X91mm, ported & polished head, new valves, new crank, & upgraded ECU), Supersprint SS headers, Hartge exhaust, custom cat bypass (track), KV85 wires, Bosch platinum plugs, Vitesse cf spark plug cover, Vitesse cf CAI, Samco hoses, Fiamm air horns. Drivetrain: custom ssk, Vitesse adj. clutch stop, Redline D4 ATF & 75W90. Chassis: 18x8.5 Hartge Classics on 225/40/ZR18 Direzza DZ101s, 17x8 Hartge 7 spokes on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs and 17x9 Enkei MT1-R on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs(track), Vitesse 10mm spacers with cf/billet hub extenders, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, Hartge sway bars & strut brace, urethane offset LCABs, Vitesse rsb, billet/urethane RSMs, X-brace, ATE BBK, ATE slotted rr. rotors, Goodridge ss. lines, ATE Superblue. Exterior: Violettschwarz, Hartge lip spoiler, window spoiler, hatch spoiler & mirrors, Vitesse cf door pillars, Vitesse cf fog light blanks (track), ZKW ellipsoids, HIDs in headlights, highbeams and foglights, and much more... Performance BMW Magazine feature car March 2003 www.vitessetuning.com
H3_2.1-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:04 AM   #90
roadrash

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferj View Post
As long as they don't throw you under the buss for hauling too much stuff around...
I found out today that we're flying back from CA, so that shouldn't be an issue. The real issue is how much extra stuff can I fit in the car along with all the usual crap I have to carry. Only time will tell.