318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
Wanted: 318ti automatic...
01-17-2024 09:34 PM
Last post by macilona
Today 03:10 AM
3 Replies, 804,166 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-20-2007, 01:10 AM   #1
M3_KILL3R

Default PLEASE HELP!

on monday my tire blew and as it blew i saw smook from the back today which is friday i turned the car on and noticed a pluping sound from the exhaust as i reved the engine it blew out a large amount of white smooke and around the rim of the exhaust tip there was some type of oil being spit out ....FYI the car was in GREAT condition before the tire being blown DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS?!?!?
Old 01-20-2007, 01:14 AM   #2
318iS

is there white smoke just when the engine is cold...

or is it happening when its at operating temperature ? ? ?

if its at operating temp. then your head gasket might be gone....
318iS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:16 AM   #3
iqvkucuh

i think is the weather/temp...
usually happens at winter...
you can try to drive it at highway a little bit then see what happens...
iqvkucuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:22 AM   #4
mooseheadm5

Check your fluids. If there is oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, take it to a mechanic. If it is overheating, take it to a mechanic. If it runs like crap all of a sudden, take it to a mechanic. If the check engine light is on, find out why. You haven't told us what year the car is, or what mods it may have. We can't always diagnose the car over the internet. Basically, take it to, well, you know.
-P
mooseheadm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:24 AM   #5
iqvkucuh

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseheadm5 View Post
Check your fluids. If there is oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, take it to a mechanic. If it is overheating, take it to a mechanic. If it runs like crap all of a sudden, take it to a mechanic. If the check engine light is on, find out why. You haven't told us what year the car is, or what mods it may have. We can't always diagnose the car over the internet. Basically, take it to, well, you know.
-P
yeah, you are right...
check the oil in the coolant...
if you see oil speared it out somewhere, i bet your car is in trouble, just check and tell us your model of your car...
Old 01-20-2007, 01:25 AM   #6
pnosker

I'm going to assume you have the S50-S54 motor since you have 318ti ///M in your profile. Check the black plastic coolant hose. It's known to crack, especially when provoked. It's possible the tire blowing caused enough stress for it to crack.
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:44 AM   #7
M3_KILL3R

lol no i have a 95 318ti sport and i checked the oil its clean as hell i changed it about 2 weeks ago and the coolent is fine.....it was white smoooke and not only was it white but it smelled aweful! n im in cali its not that cold it was 67ish outside and there was a really nasty fume smell from the end of the car
Old 01-20-2007, 02:45 AM   #8
M3_KILL3R

also the car was not that cold it was almost to quarter so i doubt it was because it was cold and the head gasket i doubt that either because it happened right after the tire blew
Old 01-20-2007, 02:46 AM   #9
M3_KILL3R

last thing i just have a sport exhaust......forgot wat brand lol
Old 01-20-2007, 03:16 AM   #10
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Was it the back tire? You probably blew a hole in or dented your muffler, lol. I busted a U-joint on my Jeep once. Replaced the U-joint and the Jeep had no power and ran like crap. I noticed that my air filter was saturated with oil. After checking all of the vaccume hoses I finally realized that when my U-joint busted, the driveshaft spun around and creased my muffler thus causing extreme backpressure. Just look around the area where your tire blew. It's hard to imagine that these two things can be related but I've seen some strange things happen in my time. I bet it was the rear driver's side tire. People in this forum seem to be quick to assume the worst. For some reason everyone here is looking for another blown head gasket thread. They may be right, but check the obvious first.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:22 AM   #11
cooljess76

BTW the oil you're seeing isn't really oil at all. If you did damage your muffler, it's probably just a combination of moisture and old carbon deposit from inside the muffler. Also FWIW, your muffler might have been rusted through, causing a stream of hot air to blow on your wheel or tire which would eventually cause your tire to overpressurize and burst. Don't run the engine until you figure this out, or you'll probably blow another tire.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:44 AM   #12
M3_KILL3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
BTW the oil you're seeing isn't really oil at all. If you did damage your muffler, it's probably just a combination of moisture and old carbon deposit from inside the muffler. Also FWIW, your muffler might have been rusted through, causing a stream of hot air to blow on your wheel or tire which would eventually cause your tire to overpressurize and burst. Don't run the engine until you figure this out, or you'll probably blow another tire.

u know wat i thik u ight be right on that because my tires were brand new almost 3 months old and in grat condition it was the tire on the drivers side and i checked all over the car nothing seems to be out of place or deformed except the exhaust it did get banded up pretty bad but i still have no idea wat the smooke is ....i still think its the gasket because after the car heats up it still has the issue
Old 01-20-2007, 04:15 AM   #13
cooljess76

If it was a head gasket causing the smoke, you'ld definately have oil/coolant mixture. You would notice oil in the coolant and vice versa. Change the muffler first. You might have gotten some debris stuck inside of it from the tire blowing out. I'll sell you this muffler for $50.

Here's a link if you're interested:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13655
P.S. The smoke you're seeing is probably a piece of tire rubber burning inside of the muffler.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:42 AM   #14
iqvkucuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
If it was a head gasket causing the smoke, you'ld definately have oil/coolant mixture. You would notice oil in the coolant and vice versa. Change the muffler first. You might have gotten some debris stuck inside of it from the tire blowing out. I'll sell you this muffler for $50.

Here's a link if you're interested:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13655
P.S. The smoke you're seeing is probably a piece of tire rubber burning inside of the muffler.
maybe, but you could try to replace that, i dont think this is a main problem...
but you still can try it first to see what happens!
Old 01-21-2007, 01:54 AM   #15
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqvkucuh View Post
maybe, but you could try to replace that, i dont think this is a main problem...
but you still can try it first to see what happens!
Really? Have you physically seen or heard his car? It's probably just a coincidence that his brand new driver's side rear tire blew and his muffler is also damaged. Stop and think about how ridiculous you guys sound. You're trying to connect a blown tire to a blown head gasket. He said that his oil and coolant were clean. Sure, sometimes you could have a BHG without coolant/oil mixture, though it's rare and you wouldn't get smoke from it. Leave this poor kid alone, you probably have him scared $#!tLess. It's obvious M3_KILL3R, the awful fumes that you're smelling is tire rubber burning. Hence the smoke, sputtering and black oily spitting. Catalytic converters going bad smell like rotten eggs sometimes, but don't let me put that idea in your head. Change your muffler before you do anything else. Don't risk blowing another tire. I'll make you a deal since you live in California. If you buy my muffler and it doesn't fix the problem, I'll give you your money back.