My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,313 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 01-24-2005, 09:09 AM   #1
ClubSport

Default 3.45 LSD for sale. 72k mi, nice!

Sold!
Old 01-24-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
L84THSKY

I'm the one who has been talking up the LSD lately. I bought one out of an M-coupe, but it is the wrong ratio. I'm sending it back soon.

What is the one you put in your car this week?

Is there any advantage to a LSD out of a 6 cylinder car, as in the widebody casing? I would like to think the 4 cylinder LSD is just as strong and worthy as the 6 cylinder ones.

I'm seriously interested, but I saw two others for sale, so let me do my homework.

Send me some pics!!!!!!!!!!!

egrod@optonline.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubSport
I've seen some people around here looking for a 3.45 limited slip diff. I just got my M Coupe differential installed this week, so I've got the 3.45 LSD for sale.

This is out of my '95 club sport. It has only 72k miles on it, which is very low for a car of that year, and much lower than you could hope to find on an E30 diff. Has the S3,45 tag on the diff, and I can vouch for how well the limited slip is functioning after driving it this winter. It has been running Mobil 1 75W-90 since 47k mi. Never raced that I know of, many, many highway miles. No leaks, just the normal oozing from the vent tube. I'll have pics up soon. I have not cleaned it, so you can see there are no leaks.

PM me if interested. I'm looking to get a few hundred out of it. I've seen them go for $300 to $800, and this one is a gem as far as I'm concerned.

Local pickup would really be a treat, as it weighs 68 lbs. I'll even drive halfway to meet a fellow ti enthusiast if it's not to far. I'd rather know it had a good home than ship it to some anonymous bloke on fleabay.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 01-24-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
maurolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
I'm the one who has been talking up the LSD lately. I bought one out of an M-coupe, but it is the wrong ratio.

what ratio do you have?
Old 01-24-2005, 06:38 PM   #4
GDB

the 4 cyl. diffs are not as sturdy as the 6 cyls. i believe a few have been popped with nothing more than a DASC. If I didn't plan on running higher power then I would pick this up, looks like a great deal for someone.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:01 PM   #5
L84THSKY

I don't actually have it yet in my hands, it's due to arrive tomorrow.

What happened was, the original owner swapped out his 3.15LS M-coupe diff for a 3.46 LS Z3 diff.

What this guy was selling was the remains from the swap. It's an M-coupe 3.15 LS diff with a Z3 3.46 cover. The M-coupe cover was reinstalled on the diff he was putting in.

The diff only had 4990 miles on it when removed. If you want it, I paid $650.00 shipping included. When it arrives tomorrow, I am refusing shipment and sending it back to Florida.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33731

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurolin
what ratio do you have?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 01-25-2005, 09:01 AM   #6
ClubSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY
I'm the one who has been talking up the LSD lately. I bought one out of an M-coupe, but it is the wrong ratio. I'm sending it back soon.

What is the one you put in your car this week?

Is there any advantage to a LSD out of a 6 cylinder car, as in the widebody casing? I would like to think the 4 cylinder LSD is just as strong and worthy as the 6 cylinder ones.

I'm seriously interested, but I saw two others for sale, so let me do my homework.

Send me some pics!!!!!!!!!!!

egrod@optonline.net
I'll get you some pictures Tuesday.

The one I put in last week is a 3.23 LSD out of a 99 M Coupe. I got the taller ratio because I'm putting in a DASC and I don't want to grenade the small 3.45. I've heard it can happen with that much torque. If you're not supercharging or swapping in a bigger motor, it's not an issue. Plus I want my gears to last a little longer so I'm not shifting so often. That's why I didn't get a 3.73.

I would not go as low as 3.15 unless I knew I was swapping in an M motor.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:

The one I put in last week is a 3.23 LSD out of a 99 M Coupe. I got the taller ratio because I'm putting in a DASC and I don't want to grenade the small 3.45. I've heard it can happen with that much torque. If you're not supercharging or swapping in a bigger motor, it's not an issue. Plus I want my gears to last a little longer so I'm not shifting so often. That's why I didn't get a 3.73.

I had a 3.45 ti LSD. It lasted a few years of driving schools.
Then one day when replacing the fluid, the nice red fluid was gray with metal filings. I know have the larger 3.46 Quaife. Even with the larger housing, clutch packs still need to be replaced. But it will definately last longer. Wise move.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
Old 01-25-2005, 03:12 PM   #8
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
I had a 3.45 ti LSD. It lasted a few years of driving schools.
Then one day when replacing the fluid, the nice red fluid was gray with metal filings. I know have the larger 3.46 Quaife. Even with the larger housing, clutch packs still need to be replaced. But it will definately last longer. Wise move.

Steve,
So it is your opinion that a 3.45 ti LSD will NOT hold up to the added power of a DASC? I am currently looking at a used 3.45, do you think I will have a problem with the DASC, lightweight flywheel, m3 clutch?

'99 Dinan M3
Old 01-25-2005, 05:09 PM   #9
L84THSKY

I like the idea of keeping the ratio the same, but going limited slip. The reason is I plan on adding a lightweight flywheel after the diff. That should give me the added acceleration in the low gears, but keep my rpm's the same, since the diff is the same ratio as the one I started with.

The DASC is probably not in my future, so the Ti 3.45 LSD should do fine.

One other reason I prefer to go with the Ti 3.45 LSD as opposed to an E30 6 cylinder diff is I don't need to mess with the halfshafts. My brother has a drive on lift. With the Ti diff, I drive on, and just swap the diff. With the E30 diff, I need to remove the wheels to remove the halfshafts. Not to mention any mods to the halfshafts to make the E30 shafts fit. Just seems more plug and play using the Ti diff.

Quote:

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 01-25-2005, 07:53 PM   #10
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT
Steve,
So it is your opinion that a 3.45 ti LSD will NOT hold up to the added power of a DASC? I am currently looking at a used 3.45, do you think I will have a problem with the DASC, lightweight flywheel, m3 clutch?
Strictly my opinion that a 4-cylinder diff will not hold up. YMMV.
Do you track or autocross the car?
I know exactly which turn killed my old diff. There is a right hand, uphill turn at BeaveRun. The diff was never the same after that weekend.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
Old 01-25-2005, 08:44 PM   #11
ClubSport

Pictures have been sent out to the people who requested them.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:00 PM   #12
ClubSport

Some photos are up in my gallery.

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showgal...500&ppuser=582
Old 01-25-2005, 10:31 PM   #13
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
Strictly my opinion that a 4-cylinder diff will not hold up. YMMV.
Do you track or autocross the car?
I know exactly which turn killed my old diff. There is a right hand, uphill turn at BeaveRun. The diff was never the same after that weekend.
Steve,
I don't track or autocross the car right now. Basically because there aren't any tracks near me in central Wisconsin. Too bad I lowered the car, or the big frozen lakes would be nice.

I would like to autocross the car after the tranny swap is done this spring. I don't think I will be doing it a lot, but it is a possibility. "ClubSport" has a really nice LSD w/70k on it. If it goes out, do I need a new one, or can I rebuild the LSD?

Thanks!

'99 Dinan M3
Closed Thread