318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
Today 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
Today 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 138 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 703 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-25-2007, 01:00 AM   #1
krovax

Default the unsolved m44 misfiring

Right since my ti has been showing these misfiring codes ive bin doing alot of searching and i cant belevae how commom this problem is with the m44 hundreds of people have it .

a bmw garage has had my ti now for 2 days and thay cant find the problem whats causing the misfiring and say my car is running very lean but tonight ive come across some thing on the service bulliten and i want to know if it is of any use and means some thing

Date: 02/01/1997
Component Name: 116200 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:MODULE
NHTSA #: 12 15 96
SUMMARY: M44 MISFIRE FAULTS 50, 51, 52 OR 53. *TW

now those numbers are the same to what my diog printout says for each miss fire on the cylinders

ive lost alot of power from my ti with these faults gets to certain rpm n hits a magic wall n just drags like im driving through a road of tar
krovax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:18 AM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

I'm sure you've already checked, but check your intake boots again. IIRC, you've installed a DASC on your engine. Check everything between the MAF and the engine for leaks. Even the slightest leak will cause the symptoms you've encountered because the MAF is telling the DME (ECU) that you're getting a certain amount of air and the DME is telling the fuel injectors to stay open for a certain amount of time based on the readings that the MAF is sending it. Try spraying Brake/Carb/Choke cleaner around the intake hoses and listen for idle fluctuations. If you're running lean, it's getting too much air and not enough fuel. Did you get larger fuel injectors to compensate for the boost? I know it sounds like a broken record and it could be really frustrating, but hang in there buddy. You might also consider installing a few guages (Oil,Fuel,Boost) along with a RRFPR. Good Luck!
Old 08-25-2007, 01:24 AM   #3
krovax

yeah all of that has bin checked no holes/splits

i had the same problem back in january b4 i had charger but now it come back and becos the charger is on the power loss is really bad
Old 08-25-2007, 01:34 AM   #4
cooljess76

hmmm, perhaps a bad MAF sensor? That's a pretty expensive part to purchase if you're not certain that it's bad, but maybe you have a friend or know someone with an M44 that will loan you theirs to troubleshoot your engine with. My guess is that you're getting too much air rather than not enough fuel, because if you weren't getting enough fuel, the car would barely run if not at all.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:39 AM   #5
krovax

the first time i start the car up every day it sounds like its dieing like it choking it starts first time but really sounds like it doesnt want to

but strange thing is all day its fine only happen first startup of every day

ive tryed a new maf and it made the problem even more noticeable when u foot your foot down really need to get this problem sorted cos its bin going on for ages now
Old 08-25-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
pdxmotorhead

have you pulled the rubber
air tube completely off?
Thats what I had to do to find the crack(s)
They were very small on the lower side....

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:28 AM   #7
losichu

Have you replaced the PCV valve? I know its a long shot, but just pull it off and see if its still all together. I had similar startup problems and that ended up being the cause. You could also check the fuel lines running to the injectors, even though thats an even longer shot.
losichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:21 AM   #8
feelstyl

look at the hoses that comes from all injectors. and seafoam your engine, and clean your maf with carb cleaner ..never use brake cleaner !!!!!!!!!!!
feelstyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:42 AM   #9
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelstyl View Post
look at the hoses that comes from all injectors. and seafoam your engine, and clean your maf with carb cleaner ..never use brake cleaner !!!!!!!!!!!
Worst advice ever...

DO NOT CLEAN YOUR MAF WITH CARB CLEANER!!! You'll F_ck it up! Carb cleaner is as bad if not worse than brake cleaner. They sell MAF cleaner at the autoparts store. It's made for sensitive electrical components. If you can't get ahold of MAF cleaner, use a little isobutol alcohol on a Qtip and very GENTLY clean the sensor. Carb cleaner dries out rubber and will absolutely eat away the film inside of your MAF. And no, I wouldn't even think about running seafoam through the supercharger, BAD idea