318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
Yesterday 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 1,765 Views
E30 trailing arms
Yesterday 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
Yesterday 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 159 Views
OMG!OMG!
Yesterday 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
Yesterday 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 326 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 1,151 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-09-2010, 01:38 AM   #1
burningzoul

Default M44b19 Bosch M5.2 Flashing questions

Hello ,this is my first post and i try to be as direct as possible.
I had an 1.6l M43b16 `94year Ti and did an M44b19 `99 year engine swap myself,and now i`m looking at buying an ecu reflasher and start to experiment and learning how to tune an engine.
I was looking at the KWP2000 because of the good price and in their specifications they say that u can read+write on obdII and comes with a bmw diagnostic cable that is needed to reflash.I heard that the Bosch M.5.2 ecu can`t be tunable with this method, something about not being to read and backup the existing maps, or not being to modify the injection and ignition maps,and only increase rpms.Is this true?I am waiting for some serious answers from somebody that tried themself because i don`t want to buy something that i cannot use.
Here is a link of the product where it shows the supported products:
http://www.kwp2000.info/supported_cars
http://www.kwp2000.info/

If somebody can suggest a better newbie product for me to start learning on for the Bosch M5.2 ecu,that can reflash using the obdII diagnostic port and not something more complicated like opening the ecu,i will be very gratefull.
Thanks in advance,
Raul
burningzoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
bmwconnect

What do you want to know? What is your previous tuning experience? are you familiar with ecu disassembley and reverse engineering ?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
burningzoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwconnect View Post
What do you want to know? What is your previous tuning experience? are you familiar with ecu disassembley and reverse engineering ?
Hello bmwconnect.I have no experience that is why i want to begin and learn, but i want to know if the M5.2 ecu can be reflashed through the obd diagnostic port or u need to dissasemble the ecu and have more expert-tools?
There are some ecus that you can reflash through the obdII port with tools like the KWP2000 or Galletto 1260, and i was wondering if the M5.2 is one of them.I don`t have experience to dissasemble the ecu and don`t have alot of money investing in hardware tools(i don`t want to make a profit and buy prof.tools,i just want to learn how to tune my engine).
Here are some links:
http://www.x-electronic.com/productd...oductid=100054
http://www.kwp2000.info/
Old 12-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
burningzoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwconnect View Post
Hello bmwconnect.I have no previous experience and no ecu disassembley experience,that is why i thought i would try with one of this obd reflashing tools.I don`t have a lot of money for tools,and i don`t want some prof. tools to make a profit, i just want to learn to tune my engine.Is it possible to read+backup and write the Bosch M.5.2 ignition and timing maps,move up the revlimiter,take out the max speed limit, with this kind of obd reflasher,through the obd port?Or is it necessary to take out and disassemble the ecu and have more experience with this ecu?
Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
xxxJohnBoyxxx

You need Galletto. By disassembly he means the code, you need to change the maps and then flash the new modified code back on the DME. It is not easy and only a few people know how to tune the M5.2 DME...All the things you listed as wanting to change can be changed in the code but you need to know what area of the code to change then when your all done you need to correct the checksum for it all to work right.

John S
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
burningzoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
You need Galletto. By disassembly he means the code, you need to change the maps and then flash the new modified code back on the DME. It is not easy and only a few people know how to tune the M5.2 DME...All the things you listed as wanting to change can be changed in the code but you need to know what area of the code to change then when your all done you need to correct the checksum for it all to work right. John S
Hello John,thanks for the answer,i read your turbo build so i know u have the experience,did u manage to learn how to tune your engine in the end or did u go to somebody that does this and has experience?So in theory if i get the Galletto i can read and backup the maps,the thing is that i need some documentation to start learning about tuning in general and some software.Can u guys recommend me some freeware or paid software that u can change the maps,take out the revlimiter etc with Galletto?And some books that can get me started of the basics of tuning?Also is it possible with galleto not only to read/write but to use it as a diagnosys with the correct windows software to check for faulty codes,to see lambda values,etc?In my country a full reflashing is 300euros which is very expensive for the 10-15hp gain.So i need to make a decision to dedicate the time to learning how to tune myself invest in books,software,or start saving and drop the cash.I was always a DIY-er so i want to learn.Does the reflashing effect the EWS imobilizer?Because my M43 didn`t have one and i needed to learn how to wire the one of the M44 to my car,also i don`t have an OBDII connector inside my car so can the Round20pin engine compartment connector be used for reflashing?
Old 12-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
bmwconnect

contact me at my email midnight-tuning@rogers.com... I don't mind helping but to learn this stuff it takes many years so my time will not be free
Old 12-12-2010, 01:09 AM   #8
xxxJohnBoyxxx

I have limited knowledge compared to Barrie and Midnight tuning. It is best you stick with him. This is not something you learn without years of work. I know the dumping and flashing part very well, programming I leave to Barrie which he did my tune. He is very good at tuning our cars...

John S
Quote:
Originally Posted by burningzoul View Post
Hello John,thanks for the answer,i read your turbo build so i know u have the experience,did u manage to learn how to tune your engine in the end or did u go to somebody that does this and has experience?So in theory if i get the Galletto i can read and backup the maps,the thing is that i need some documentation to start learning about tuning in general and some software.Can u guys recommend me some freeware or paid software that u can change the maps,take out the revlimiter etc with Galletto?And some books that can get me started of the basics of tuning?Also is it possible with galleto not only to read/write but to use it as a diagnosys with the correct windows software to check for faulty codes,to see lambda values,etc?In my country a full reflashing is 300euros which is very expensive for the 10-15hp gain.So i need to make a decision to dedicate the time to learning how to tune myself invest in books,software,or start saving and drop the cash.I was always a DIY-er so i want to learn.Does the reflashing effect the EWS imobilizer?Because my M43 didn`t have one and i needed to learn how to wire the one of the M44 to my car,also i don`t have an OBDII connector inside my car so can the Round20pin engine compartment connector be used for reflashing?
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote