318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1997 318ti under 5000...
10-08-2022 11:52 PM
Last post by kupkake303
06-04-2024 06:01 PM
16 Replies, 20,698 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by H4MMY
06-04-2024 07:15 AM
212 Replies, 1,325,221 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
06-01-2024 03:04 PM
7 Replies, 410,270 Views
1995 318i M42 removal of...
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
Last post by BertrandP102
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
0 Replies, 1,530 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
05-28-2024 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 4,253 Views
E30 trailing arms
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 1,564 Views
OMG!OMG!
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 1,846 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-10-2009, 04:15 AM   #1
eurohb

Vehicles
Default Oil leaks?

So i noticed today my ti was missing some oil so i put in a quart of oil and then turned it on, then 10mins of letting her sit there i noticed a puddle of oil underneath the car.... i turned her off and now idk where the oil's coming from. My friends have said either the oil pan or the oil main seal... what can it be FML
Old 08-10-2009, 04:31 AM   #2
Xenocide

oil pan won't leave a puddle.

Its probably oil filter housing, but shouldn't be leaking that bad.

If you were down a whole quart already, damn I hope you don't have engine damage, those motors only hold what? 5 quarts?
Old 08-10-2009, 04:35 AM   #3
eurohb

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenocide View Post
oil pan won't leave a puddle.

Its probably oil filter housing, but shouldn't be leaking that bad.

If you were down a whole quart already, damn I hope you don't have engine damage, those motors only hold what? 5 quarts?
yea about that 5 quarts but is the oil filter housing hard to change? its my only car ha
Old 08-10-2009, 04:58 AM   #4
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Bryan, here's what you need to do. Go to Kragen and pick up a can of brake cleaner and a can of engine degreaser. You're gonna have to get a little dirty, but look down towards the front of the engine for fresh oil. You should notice certain spots are "fresher" than others. This is how you're gonna locate the leak. Keep in mind it may be leaking in more than one place. Chances are, it's either the oil filter housing(at the base where it mounts to the engine), the valve cover(the silver aluminum cover on top of the engine) or the front crank seal(behind the big pulley on the front of the engine block). If you notice pools of oil in the crevices on the side of the engine block underneath the oil filter housing, start there. Take a rag and soak as much of it up as you can. Then take the engine degreaser and spray the heck out of it. Using a hard bristle nylon brush, scrub as much of the crud off as possible. It's gonna be kinda hard to work in that little area, but get as much off as you can. Then hose it down with more engine degreaser and repeat until most of the sludge is gone. Grab a garden hose with a spray nozzle and blast the area down really good. Let it dry for a few minutes, then take a rag and soak up any water that might have settled in those crevices. Now take the brake cleaner and spray the entire area down really good. This will dry really quickly and leave the engine block nice and clean. Finally, take the car for a spin, get out and recheck the area. If you see fresh oil, you've located your leak.

Once you've located the leak, I'll be more than happy to fix it for you free of charge. You might need to spend about 20 bucks on cleaners, gaskets and o rings but I promise I'll save you the couple hundred bucks that a shop would charge you. Of course, you'll need to get a day off so you can drive up here to Ventura. Until then, keep a couple spare quarts of oil in your car and check it everytime you drive it. I don't care if you only drive it 10 miles, the leak can progress very rapidly and run your engine dry. If you drive up here to Ventura, I want you to stop atleast once every 30 minutes until you get here and check the oil level. I know it might not seem very serious, but it can become serious really quickly and I'd hate to see you kill your engine. Just want to let you know that I'm here to help. Me and your Uncle are pretty tight and he knows I'll do whatever it takes to help the family. If you can, drag him and Gino up here, haven't seen those guys in months. Alright Bro, give me a call as soon as you get a chance.

-Jesse
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:20 AM   #5
eurohb

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Bryan, here's what you need to do. Go to Kragen and pick up a can of brake cleaner and a can of engine degreaser. You're gonna have to get a little dirty, but look down towards the front of the engine for fresh oil. You should notice certain spots are "fresher" than others. This is how you're gonna locate the leak. Keep in mind it may be leaking in more than one place. Chances are, it's either the oil filter housing(at the base where it mounts to the engine), the valve cover(the silver aluminum cover on top of the engine) or the front crank seal(behind the big pulley on the front of the engine block). If you notice pools of oil in the crevices on the side of the engine block underneath the oil filter housing, start there. Take a rag and soak as much of it up as you can. Then take the engine degreaser and spray the heck out of it. Using a hard bristle nylon brush, scrub as much of the crud off as possible. It's gonna be kinda hard to work in that little area, but get as much off as you can. Then hose it down with more engine degreaser and repeat until most of the sludge is gone. Grab a garden hose with a spray nozzle and blast the area down really good. Let it dry for a few minutes, then take a rag and soak up any water that might have settled in those crevices. Now take the brake cleaner and spray the entire area down really good. This will dry really quickly and leave the engine block nice and clean. Finally, take the car for a spin, get out and recheck the area. If you see fresh oil, you've located your leak.

Once you've located the leak, I'll be more than happy to fix it for you free of charge. You might need to spend about 20 bucks on cleaners, gaskets and o rings but I promise I'll save you the couple hundred bucks that a shop would charge you. Of course, you'll need to get a day off so you can drive up here to Ventura. Until then, keep a couple spare quarts of oil in your car and check it everytime you drive it. I don't care if you only drive it 10 miles, the leak can progress very rapidly and run your engine dry. If you drive up here to Ventura, I want you to stop atleast once every 30 minutes until you get here and check the oil level. I know it might not seem very serious, but it can become serious really quickly and I'd hate to see you kill your engine. Just want to let you know that I'm here to help. Me and your Uncle are pretty tight and he knows I'll do whatever it takes to help the family. If you can, drag him and Gino up here, haven't seen those guys in months. Alright Bro, give me a call as soon as you get a chance.

-Jesse
hells yea imma do this tomorrow clean clean and eveyrthing but i need to have the Ti running by monday cuz thats when i start college again but forsure jess thanks for ur help con todo
Old 08-10-2009, 05:21 AM   #6
mgbman69

+1 for Jess, he is spot on!
mgbman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:22 AM   #7
cooljess76

Sounds good, hit me up so we can get the parts ordered asap.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:27 AM   #8
eurohb

Vehicles

Quote:
Sounds good, hit me up so we can get the parts ordered asap.
what kinda parts do i need cuz i have a guy i can get them from in SGV
Old 08-10-2009, 07:30 AM   #9
Marv17

Yo. If you need any new gaskets I have a bunch of brand new ones for the M44 still. Take them for what I paid for them. Got them cheaper than pelicanparts a while back. Hit me up tomorrow or stop by my place if you can to get what you need. I'll help you out too. Maybe ill head up there with you to Jesse's since i have a few days off.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #10
eurohb

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post
Yo. If you need any new gaskets I have a bunch of brand new ones for the M44 still. Take them for what I paid for them. Got them cheaper than pelicanparts a while back. Hit me up tomorrow or stop by my place if you can to get what you need. I'll help you out too. Maybe ill head up there with you to Jesse's since i have a few days off.
yea dude i mean if we can ha wednesday lets go if i have enough cash ahh i dnt have work til saturday but i mean i gotta see what jesse can do hah
Old 08-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroJDMHB View Post
what kinda parts do i need cuz i have a guy i can get them from in SGV
It really depends on whats leaking. It's probably the oil filter housing gasket which is only like 5 bucks for the gasket and two o-rings. If it's the valve cover gasket it might be about 20 bucks or so and if it's the crank seal, it's about 10 bucks. If it's the valve cover or oil filter housing leaking, I can fix that in about an hour. Crank seal will be a much bigger project.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
eurohb

Vehicles

Quote:
It really depends on whats leaking. It's probably the oil filter housing gasket which is only like 5 bucks for the gasket and two o-rings. If it's the valve cover gasket it might be about 20 bucks or so and if it's the crank seal, it's about 10 bucks. If it's the valve cover or oil filter housing leaking, I can fix that in about an hour. Crank seal will be a much bigger project.
jesse do u got a place out there u can get the parts? imma call u today around noon maybe if ur schedule is cool i can go out there wednesday and probably crash at ur house if thats cool with u ?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
Xenocide

Quote:
If it's the valve cover or oil filter housing leaking, I can fix that in about an hour.
I hope your not as speedy with the ladies if you can do the oil filter housing that quick!!

Takes me a good 2.5 hours, usually everything is caked in so much grime, lots of cleaning to do and the alternator doesn't' want to move.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #14
eurohb

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenocide View Post
I hope your not as speedy with the ladies if you can do the oil filter housing that quick!!

Takes me a good 2.5 hours, usually everything is caked in so much grime, lots of cleaning to do and the alternator doesn't' want to move.
ahah oh dang hah
Old 08-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #15
Xenocide

Its all said in good fun