318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
Today 03:04 PM
7 Replies, 408,908 Views
1995 318i M42 removal of...
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
Last post by BertrandP102
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
0 Replies, 653 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by two30grain
05-28-2024 06:42 PM
1 Replies, 2,569 Views
E30 trailing arms
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
Last post by packratbimmer
05-28-2024 04:43 PM
0 Replies, 603 Views
OMG!OMG!
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
05-28-2024 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 815 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 1,721 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-31-2005, 04:08 PM   #1
seanhearn

Exclamation OH NO!!! Help!

Ok so i wake up this morning, barely awake actually. My mom comes in and casually says "Your windows are down." Little did she think about was that it had been thunderstorm'ing all night! So i run out to my car in my undies and pull it into the garage and it is DRENCHED.

So after trying to roll the windows up, the driver side rolls up just fine, however the passenger side will not roll up and i dont hear any noise when i try to roll it up. I know some of you guys are certified auto repair men so PLEASE HELP. I dont have much money right now being a student and cant go on not having my window roll up.

URGENT!! PLEASE HELP!
seanhearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
mickd

If you don't hear any mechanical movement, probably is electrical. Water might have gotten near the window electricals and shorted somthing out. Check your fuses, I don't know which one is for the windows, should be in your owners manual. Let the car dry out for a while before you try and operate the window, whether there is an open fuse or not. Also, if the mirror switch/control is on the window circuit, might have taken this fuse out, disabling the window. See if your mirror control works. Hope this helps.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:25 PM   #3
mickd

The info I posted above would only be true if there were individual fuses for each window, driver and passenger side. I suspect they might since those drive motors draw alot of current. If there is only one fuse and it isn't blown, you said the drivers side works, I would guess it's probably due to water in the electricals on that passenger side door, partially shorting somthing out but not enough current to blow the fuse, since it probably is a higher amperage fuse for the window motor.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:26 AM   #4
mickd

Well, this one has got me stumped, there is only 1 fuse for the window lift, it's a 30A in position 14 on my '95 ti. If the fuse was open neither window would work. I would pull off the passenger side door panel, there are many posts on this board on how to do it, it's real easy, you need a torx and phillips to remove the panel, a butter knife will do to pop the pins on the door panel perimeter. I would then press the window switch and look to see if the motor tries to move the window or if you hear anything. I thought water might have got in the motor, and it might apper to the motor stop circuit like it is fully up or down because the motor is drawing more current because it is shorted. That is how the circuit works, the motor draws more current when the window hits it's up or down limit, the circuit senses the rise in current, and removes power to the regulator motor. That's all I can figure, the motor got shorted from the water.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:33 AM   #5
mickd

Also, check fuse in position 19, it's labeled "rear window lift", a 30A fuse, must be for cars in other markets than the US, slim possibility it might be used for one of the front door window lifts in the US.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:01 AM   #6
aceyx

i agree with mickd here, take off the panels and let it dry out. if you have box fans, put one in each open door for cross ventilation. do not add heat. (probably pull the fuse for the foot area lighting too).

i dropped a phone in the water before, and it worked fine after letting it dry out completely. hope nothing's wrong in the end . . .
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:53 AM   #7
marcus2116

if you dont know how to pull the panel its just 2 screws one on the top of the handel and one on the underside. They are torx heads i forget what size. Becarefull not to break the plastic clips
Old 04-01-2005, 02:03 AM   #8
aceyx

T25 i believe.

pop the door handle trim out by sliding it forward. remove the plastic cover at the top of the handle that covers one of the screws (careful, the vinyl surrounding it is soft).

two screws, and i use a plastic drywall spade (costs like a buck) to start popping the tabs to start. after that it's hands. when putting the panel back on, be sure the tabs are lined up with the holes before you pop them back, as they break easily.

after the tabs are done, pull the entire panel up to clear the door lock and pull out of the retaining clips. pull out the connectors for the speakers and set aside.

be gentle and take your time with the black foam piece, it rips easily. but, the sealant separates pretty easily if warm.

good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:07 AM   #9
mickd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
i agree with mickd here, take off the panels and let it dry out. if you have box fans, put one in each open door for cross ventilation. do not add heat. (probably pull the fuse for the foot area lighting too).

i dropped a phone in the water before, and it worked fine after letting it dry out completely. hope nothing's wrong in the end . . .
Thanks man, it's good to finally agree on something. Isn't it great when we all just get along...............
Old 04-01-2005, 03:22 AM   #10
aceyx

n'huh? might have a quarrel with the message time-to-time, but never the messenger.

sean; may want to throw a bit of lubricant on the seat bolts as well, they rust kinda easily. same goes for inside the door panel (wipe off as much excess as possible with a rag, there will be enough left behind to protect the finish).