318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
1997 318ti under 5000...
10-08-2022 11:52 PM
Last post by kupkake303
06-04-2024 06:01 PM
16 Replies, 25,215 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by H4MMY
06-04-2024 07:15 AM
212 Replies, 1,360,523 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
06-01-2024 03:04 PM
7 Replies, 426,515 Views
1995 318i M42 removal of...
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
Last post by BertrandP102
05-30-2024 02:07 AM
0 Replies, 4,758 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-17-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
lpcapital

Default NGK Iridium plugs for DASC (and wires)

I'm getting all my things lined up for the DASC to come in.

I called Bosch and unfortunately (I really like their 4 tips plugs) they have none in a lower heat range (FIY, Bosch heat range scale is backward than NGK: for Bosch, the lower the number the colder the plug).

So I called up NGK and they recommended the BKR7EIX which is 1 notch colder than the stock 6. Stock number for NAPA, Pepboys or whatever store is 2667. It's their iridium tip plug

He also recommend to close the gap to .028" from the stock .032" to facilitate ignition with the SC.

Their recommended changing interval is 40K-50K miles on the iridium; FIY the Iridium tip offers the same durability as Platinum, but the same conductivity of Copper... Withing this mileage range no re-gapping is necessary.

I also asked for wires: stock number is 54162. Their wires offers lower resistance than stock (8K Ohm/meter)

Looks like NGK just got my business...

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
lpcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post

I called Bosch and unfortunately (I really like their 4 tips plugs) they have none in a lower heat range (FIY, Bosch heat range scale is backward than NGK: for Bosch, the lower the number the colder the plug).

So I called up NGK and they recommended the BKR7EIX which is 1 notch colder than the stock 6. Stock number for NAPA, Pepboys or whatever store is 2667. It's their iridium tip plug

He also recommend to close the gap to .028" from the stock .032" to facilitate ignition with the SC.

Their recommended changing interval is 40K-50K miles on the iridium; FIY the Iridium tip offers the same durability as Platinum, but the same conductivity of Copper... Withing this mileage range no re-gapping is necessary.

I also asked for wires: stock number is 54162. Their wires offers lower resistance than stock (8K Ohm/meter)

I use cheap $1.99 Autolight one heat range cooler then stock calls for. Never had a problem. I also use a new set of OEM plug wires. I dis-like the idea of 4 electrodes on the Iridium since it's 3 more pieces that can break loose and bang up the head and piston top. Just my thoughts and I might be loosing power by using the cheap plugs.
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
lpcapital

Copper is the best conductor, as long as the electrode is there: that is to say they need to be well maintained and replaced/gapped constantly.

Considering the average Joe has a hard time keeping up with a oil change schedule, the industry came out with a much harder material called Platinum which is much more resistant, but not as good as a conductor.
So they upgrade to Iridium to get a better of both.
I'm not sure how the conductivity of Iridium is compared to copper, but it being a extremely dense material allows the manufacturer to make a much smaller tip which allows the spark to bee more concentrated.

At least that's what I've read around on the subject...

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
Old 11-19-2008, 01:18 AM   #4
Christian

I ran NGK Iridium plugs (heat range 7) when I first installed my DASC. I had lots of misfiring issues when the engine was hot. First I replaced the plug wires, then the ignition coils, but the car still misfired occasionally. The last thing I did was run an additional ground wire to the ignition coil and change to NGK V-Power copper plugs. I've only driven it about 200 miles since but the misfiring seems to have stopped. I doubt very seriously that the additional ground wire along helped much, so I think it was the Iridium plugs, but I have no explanation as to why they may have caused that. At some point I'll remove the additional ground wire and see if the misfiring comes back.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
crazy_hippo

Quote:
Copper is the best conductor, as long as the electrode is there: that is to say they need to be well maintained and replaced/gapped constantly.

Considering the average Joe has a hard time keeping up with a oil change schedule, the industry came out with a much harder material called Platinum which is much more resistant, but not as good as a conductor.
So they upgrade to Iridium to get a better of both.
I'm not sure how the conductivity of Iridium is compared to copper, but it being a extremely dense material allows the manufacturer to make a much smaller tip which allows the spark to bee more concentrated.

At least that's what I've read around on the subject...
Actually, Silver is the best conductor and some plugs are using silver instead.

However, I don't think it matters much to plug. No doubt the best conductor offers the lowest resistance. However, there is a resistor inside the plug cut down RF interference, thus I don't see how a better conductor will improve sparking.
crazy_hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
marko

u dont need them - & they suck.

I have a thread insert my #2 cylinder (lost the threads) - was using iridiums for a while... car started cutting off... I checked the plugs and realized that #2 plug electrode was completelly burnt off - I mean GONE.

switched back to dealer supllied NGK 4 prong platinums - and after 12000 miles they still look new.

to boot - when iridiums were new, I felt NO improvement whatsoever from them.

best plugs for the money are NGKs. (bosch paltinums SUCK hard too, so dont waste your money)..

good luck.

Quote:

/DASC w.3' pulley @ 15psi/SNOW System/3.45 LSD/Billstein PSS coils
/Stromung Exhaust/DS1's/X-Brace/Front & Rear H&R Sways/OMP 300mm SW
/SAP delete/ASC+T delete/Hayabusa valve springs/MM's LTW flywheel
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
lpcapital

mmmhh... I guess I'm gonna go with cheap old copper plugs: they apper to be the choice for a lot of people, no? And I mean they are cheap that if they really don't last that long, I can replace it every, lets just trow a number, 10K or 20K miles, no?

I guess I'll go with the V-Powers then BKR7E-6097...

Thanks guys

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
Old 11-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
mmmhh... I guess I'm gonna go with cheap old copper plugs: they apper to be the choice for a lot of people, no? And I mean they are cheap that if they really don't last that long, I can replace it every, lets just trow a number, 10K or 20K miles, no?

I guess I'll go with the V-Powers then BKR7E-6097...

Thanks guys
I run them cheap plugs 25K then change them even though they still look pretty good. I think Gold is the best conductor since it is a element but not durable for combustion. Copper is the best value for the money and what I run in all my stuff. I ran a 9 second Vega for years on cheep plugs squeezing 150 shot NOS off the line and additional 250 shot for 400 total by second gear on a 12:1 406ci small block Chevy. Electricity will only ground to the path with least resistance so even if you have 2 or 4 electrodes only one is producing spark. My MM motor comes with Iridiums so I will run them for breakin and then change to my cheep Autolite's since they never fail me. Indexing plugs makes more power it's a fact and there is no way to index a 4 prong plug also the 4 prongs shroud the charge from the spark on three different angles. The only advantage is if the favored one electrode (That sparks) gets fouled one of the other 3 will start sparking....Good for 2 stroke dirt bikes and Jetskis with too much oil mixed or two rich of a fuel mixture. They do last longer since there like 4 plugs in one. One electrode get's some resistance on it so it moves to the next electrode with least resistance. Just my thought's
Old 11-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
JiXer

Copper & Silver only! Stay away from platinum, iridium, etc.
Some good info below, but keep in mind that this sort of thing only makes a difference way out on the outer limits of engine performance. You could spend a lot of money on ignition stuff and not get any noticeable gains or changes.

"What about Iridium Spark Plugs?
Iridium is a super dense material and therefore extremely resistant to wear. That's it!
It is a terrible thermal conductor and a bad electrical conductor, so why would anyone use it to make a spark plug center electrode? Since car manufacturers have to guaranty that their engines stay in-tune for up to 100,000 miles, they can only achieve this with ultra dense Iridium or Platinum.

Silver spark plugs are especially designed for high-performance engines. Silver is the best electrical and thermal conductor of any metal, which makes it the ultimate material for a spark plug's center electrode. The large diameter silver center electrode increases spark carrying ability and spark power. Silver is extremely resistant to erosion, guaranteeing a virtually unchanged electrode gap for the life of the spark plug. Most Silver spark plugs are without a resistor, perfect for performance enthusiasts who demand the most from their engines. For racing or dependability and efficiency for everyday use, Silver spark plugs deliver the most powerful spark.

J.
JiXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:17 AM   #10
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiXer View Post

Silver spark plugs are especially designed for high-performance engines. Silver is the best electrical and thermal conductor of any metal, which makes it the ultimate material for a spark plug's center electrode. The large diameter silver center electrode increases spark carrying ability and spark power. Silver is extremely resistant to erosion, guaranteeing a virtually unchanged electrode gap for the life of the spark plug. Most Silver spark plugs are without a resistor, perfect for performance enthusiasts who demand the most from their engines. For racing or dependability and efficiency for everyday use, Silver spark plugs deliver the most powerful spark.[/I]

J.
Where do you get silver plugs? Do you know the cost?
Old 12-01-2008, 04:28 AM   #11
JiXer

Probably cost a lot.
Nology sells them.

Still looking for someone that has some objective real world experience with these things too:

http://www.pulstar.com/

J.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:59 AM   #12
M332TI
Banned

ngk is the best bro
M332TI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:17 AM   #13
crazy_hippo

Quote:
Probably cost a lot.
Nology sells them.

Still looking for someone that has some objective real world experience with these things too:

http://www.pulstar.com/

J.
Another company that sells silver plugs is brisk. I have use the Brisk Premium LGS before. Its well.... decent. Engine feels slightly smoother than NGK/Denso Iridiums. Downside is that it doesn't last.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:25 AM   #14
crazy_hippo

Quote:
Copper & Silver only! Stay away from platinum, iridium, etc.
Some good info below, but keep in mind that this sort of thing only makes a difference way out on the outer limits of engine performance. You could spend a lot of money on ignition stuff and not get any noticeable gains or changes.

"What about Iridium Spark Plugs?
Iridium is a super dense material and therefore extremely resistant to wear. That's it!
It is a terrible thermal conductor and a bad electrical conductor, so why would anyone use it to make a spark plug center electrode? Since car manufacturers have to guaranty that their engines stay in-tune for up to 100,000 miles, they can only achieve this with ultra dense Iridium or Platinum.

Silver spark plugs are especially designed for high-performance engines. Silver is the best electrical and thermal conductor of any metal, which makes it the ultimate material for a spark plug's center electrode. The large diameter silver center electrode increases spark carrying ability and spark power. Silver is extremely resistant to erosion, guaranteeing a virtually unchanged electrode gap for the life of the spark plug. Most Silver spark plugs are without a resistor, perfect for performance enthusiasts who demand the most from their engines. For racing or dependability and efficiency for everyday use, Silver spark plugs deliver the most powerful spark.

J.
Silver is the best conductor for heat and electricity. However, it does not show any advantage over other metals like Iridium, Platinum, copper etc....

There is no evidence that using a metal of lower resistance will improve sparking at all as well. This is understandable though. This is because the bulk of the resistance comes from the plug wires (plug boots have resistor to surpress noise) and the plug resistors (if there is one). There is also the gap which is another resistance as well.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:38 AM   #15
JiXer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_hippo View Post
Silver is the best conductor for heat and electricity. However, it does not show any advantage over other metals like Iridium, Platinum, copper etc....

There is no evidence that using a metal of lower resistance will improve sparking at all as well. This is understandable though. This is because the bulk of the resistance comes from the plug wires (plug boots have resistor to surpress noise) and the plug resistors (if there is one). There is also the gap which is another resistance as well.
My cars have always run better on cheap copper plugs than on iridium and platinum. That much I know. The rest is up for grabs.
Would love to see some dyno tests just for the fun of it.

J.