View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 03:22 AM   #1
Recon427

Default Help Diagnose Wheel noise

Alright, today I noticed that when turning to the right (only the right) I hear a subdued grumbling (?) noise coming from the right front wheel area.

The best way I can describe the noise would be like walking on an old wooden floor where the boards creak. But it is like a deep / quieter creaking noise. Like walking on an old dock? This is Not a whining or knocking noise.

I know my power steering fluid reservoir is leaking. So, I am going to fill it up tomorrow.

I just jacked up the car and wiggled the wheel in a "left-right" motion and I heard a ticking sound. When the wheel was wiggled in the "top-down" motion there was no noise.

After a few "left-right" motions the noise subsided and went away. I did the same thing to the other wheel and found only a light clicking noise when going "left-right." However, I was applying some force so much that I was slightly moving the whole car back and forth. So this could be normal.

Anyways, I took it for a quick spin and the noise is still there but is quieter now. Still only the front right wheel and only when I turn the wheel to the right. At a dead standstill I turn the wheel to the right and I hear the noise as well.

So, is this just lack of power steering fluid or am I looking at a tie rod issue? I don't think it is the wheel bearing since going the "top-down" motion amounted zero noise and the wheel was firm.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Recon427 is offline   Reply With Quote