View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
Nitro Nollie

Default FRONT SPEAKERS 4" to 6.5"!!!

How to fit 6 pounds of speaker in a 5 pound bag

After some thought, a Dremel and some time to grow a pair.. I decided to change out the stock 4" speakers with JL Audio 6.5" speakers.

1) Remove the speaker panel and the stock 5.25" speaker

2) The original 5.25" hole is big enough to only fit the magnet of the 6.5"
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3775a.JPG Views:	844 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	908
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3776a.JPG Views:	874 Size:	54.4 KB ID:	909

3) You can cut a piece of cardboard out as a template to size the hole. the 6.5" speakers already came with a template (thank you JL Audio). I cut the hole out with a dremel ( very carefully). NOTE: that the 6.5" speaker is WAY!!! to BIG!!! for the stock panal, so you have to insert it into the foot rest area. Also the speaker will protrude out of the top of the panal aswell. Becarefull to leave enough room for the hood release lever! The resone why I could not place the speaker behind the panel is because the stock 5.25" hole is not deep enough AND I didn't feel like cutting the back metal out.
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3779a.JPG Views:	1161 Size:	44.1 KB ID:	910

4)Here is view of the back of the finished cut panal..
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3781a.JPG Views:	766 Size:	33.4 KB ID:	911

5) This is the finished product... WOW it actually worked!!
and it sounds so sweet...

NOTE: The speaker it attached to the panel I had to cut the attaching screws because the were hitting the metal when I went to instal it.

Tha hardest part about this task, was alighning up the speaker with the panal so that the magnet fits into the 5.25" hole.
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3786a.JPG Views:	862 Size:	30.2 KB ID:	912

I have alot more pictures but was limited to only 5. Have fun and hope this helps.
Nitro Nollie is offline   Reply With Quote