View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 03:29 AM   #27
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBum View Post
Where you mount the sway bar has nothing to do with the arms... unless you are using the E46 arms that do not have a provision for the sway bar link brackets. You just need to have the tab on the struts so you can attach the links.
Thats actually what it came down to, the e46 LCA i picked up had no place to use the stock sway bar, I was just lucky I happens to be usuing m3 struts up front that had the tab for the m3 sway bar, also reading that it was more effective, I just went ahead with it.

Quote:
M3 links are more than double the size of standard E36 links so you actually add weight with the M3 links. If you ran the thinner 23mm M3 front sway bar you would save some weight there but by using the stock ti bar with M3 links you are actually adding more front sway bar.
I have heard of running the ti bar with m3 links, but from one specific post i read it was a little too much. I also got 375lb springs up front with everything stock so i feel like its enough stiff. Though I do have a set of oem z3m front springs that i would like to replace the front with to get it a bit softer and then maybe I can play with the ti sway bar and m3 endlinks

Quote:
Spacers in the rear would help to a degree but you will run into fender clearance issues at some point.
I figure some more track with and a little less tire will save me some on tires (I know... horrible poor man mentality )

Quote:
You are using mostly used parts correct? Pricing on quality new versions of what you are using will not be as affordable.
ya everything is second hand, sourced from people parting their cars, craigslist, ebay, forums etc.

Quote:
I admire your ambition. I would have stopped after comparing an E46 arm to an E36 arm side by side. You have the right thinkingthough, lighter weight, wider track, more effective front sway bar, more negative camber... With a solution for the negative camber this might actually be a good alternative for a wide body car.
I know the z3 6cyl rear control arms are a bit longer, so i was thinking it may match the extra track length up front from the e46lca, but at the same time it would add weight.. dunno, i'm making it up as I go lol.

Thanks for all the feedback up till now!

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote